Skip to content
Maintankadin

Forum Upgrade (+FAQ!)

Invisusira
Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:13 pm

Re: Forum Upgrade (+FAQ!)

I do agreethe zxcxavvbvmbmnbm/ 'cx;lvvv..fnbgvbmn../bbbbbbbbbbbbbbb,.b.'bvn.vvvvv,nv,c.' cm,fddddxchjbnbb

Sorry, space bar was out of whack. That was me prying it up three count em three times to get it positioned correctly.

I agree that the alternating color is too dark. I couldn't put my finger on what was making this forum so hard to read, but that's it. Thanks!
fafhrd
Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:16 pm

Re: Forum Upgrade (+FAQ!)

I don't think I mind the post colour alternation, but there's definitely something disorienting going on. I think it's that peoples' sigs, especially sigs with quote or image blocks in them, look like separate posts to me. Maybe add more vspace between posts, or a border around the entire post (including the sig) or something.

Avatar I rather like on the right. Not because it's better, just because it's a change.

But isn't all of this stuff taken care of by a user selected skin? As in the admin chooses and makes available a couple of skins, and each user can pick whichever he prefers? I'm not sure how much work on the admin's part that entails though.

Oooh my quibble: when posting, having the Submit button be the rightmost of the 3 available buttons always confuses me :/ I'm used to the OK buttons being on the left, not the right
Sabindeus
Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:17 pm

Re: Forum Upgrade (+FAQ!)

Knaughty wrote:Example thread that shows the issue better

As Invis says, current colours look pretty but are very hard to read.

I care about readability more than prettiness.


The only thing that that thread did was make me double-check that my scroll wheel was working properly since you posted almost the same thing like 5 times in a row
fafhrd
Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:17 pm

Re: Forum Upgrade (+FAQ!)

Knaughty wrote:Example thread that shows the issue better

As Invis says, current colours look pretty but are very hard to read.

I care about readability more than prettiness.


You're so readable in that hauberk Knaughty Image
Sabindeus
Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:19 pm

Re: Forum Upgrade (+FAQ!)

fafhrd wrote:But isn't all of this stuff taken care of by a user selected skin? As in the admin chooses and makes available a couple of skins, and each user can pick whichever he prefers? I'm not sure how much work on the admin's part that entails though.


This is of course possible, but whether or not he wants the site accessible looking like something he didn't create is up to Aergis. (Knowing him, I'd bet he'd say no)
fafhrd
Wed Mar 25, 2009 10:42 pm

Re: Forum Upgrade (+FAQ!)

Huh. I suppose so. It never occurred to me that a forum admin would care all that strongly about the appearance of his forum on other peoples' computers, skins were supposed to address being able to satisfy people with different tastes at once (separation of presentation and content, yaddayaddayadda).

Users can totally change how the site looks via any number of site skinning firefox addons though, so just offering skin choices is if anything exercising more control over the presentation than encouraging users to resort to doing their own thing that way.
bub64882
Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:14 pm

Re: Forum Upgrade (+FAQ!)

WOW SUPER-AWESOME HELLO KITTY RESKIN! I WUV IT!

Don't go changin...Stay Sweet!!!

Mwah!
/hugs
Fridmarr
Wed Apr 01, 2009 7:18 pm

Re: Forum Upgrade (+FAQ!)

fafhrd wrote:Huh. I suppose so. It never occurred to me that a forum admin would care all that strongly about the appearance of his forum on other peoples' computers, skins were supposed to address being able to satisfy people with different tastes at once (separation of presentation and content, yaddayaddayadda).

Users can totally change how the site looks via any number of site skinning firefox addons though, so just offering skin choices is if anything exercising more control over the presentation than encouraging users to resort to doing their own thing that way.
The separation isn't so strict as to be maintenance free. In fact, most mods added to the board, will require the Admin to hand edit each skin to get it to display properly. That's a bit of a pain for maintenance on a site like this.
Culhag
Sun Apr 12, 2009 5:15 pm

Re: Forum Upgrade (+FAQ!)

Suggestion for the forum :

My guild's forum, which runs with FluxBB, has the nice feature of automatically resizing big pictures to the forum width.
It would be nice to have it here so pictures don't get cut when they're too large. I have no idea if it's possible on phpBB, I'm just throwing the idea as I think i'd be a nice feature.
Dorvan
Mon Apr 13, 2009 5:40 am

Re: Forum Upgrade (+FAQ!)

definitely no longer funny the second time around....