Skip to content
Maintankadin

Living with PoJ, thoughts after 2 weeks.

Vanifae
Tue Nov 20, 2007 10:45 am
Please quantify how PoJ applies the same amount of Damage Resistance over time as Deflection? is that what you mean by DR?

I parry way more times then I am hit with spells.

Maybe I am being too literal but I am just confused how you can put a 3% proc on abilities that are usually not continuous in a fight with a defensive trait like parry against an autoattacking feature of 99% of mobs.

I am not trying to say it does not help I am quite sure PoJ helps quite abit when it procs.

Weather that spell was a fear, or a 150 point shadow spell, or a 9k fire bomb of death. But as you said it is spikey, spikey is a not reliable defense.

At the end of the day PoJ is not a bad talent, it is decent, but it isn't a strong tanking talent by any means but definitely one that can be fit into a spec and will reap some benefit for the given player.
_________________
Visit my crappy blog... Nerf This...
Soltyr
Tue Nov 20, 2007 12:04 pm
I think me too, there is not point to say it's a pvp talent.
All talents in the whole prot tree can be consider good for the pvp purpose, as well as so many talent also in holy or ret tree can help to improve the tanking role: ImpSoR, Unyielding Faith, ImpLoH, Blessed life, Holy Guidance, Puryfying Power, ImpRet aura, Crusader and why not Repentance and CS too.


After the patch I'm running with a build to test PoJ for a while
(traded 1 point in Anticipation and 2 point in Spellwarding).
Though the speed impr. is nice, I use PoJ for the mitigation on binary spell effects rather than a raw magic dmg mitigation.

What I can say...

It depends from what you are going to trade for PoJ. It's important to remember it's a flavor talent, so stuff like 1hSpec, Precision, CE, etc... are untouchable.

Flavor talent for a paladin are ImpJud, Spellwarding, ImpSotC, Stoicism, Imp.HoJ, Imp.ConcAura, Guardian's favor, ImpDevo, some points in Anticipation (as ultimate resource) and after 2.3 I'd add Reckoning as well.

In my experience, if your are a tankadin in 10men contents, spellwarding can be skipped easily in favor of PoJ, where a few more speed can be lovely. If you are really really worried about magic mitigation, a few pieces of "good" resistance gear will give more than a flat 4%. Though I'm not sure if (already discussed in this board?) it's a real 4% or it becomes multiplicative of ImRF.
In 25 men I'm not sure if PoJ is worth over Spellwarding, maybe not.

Yet, how many flavor talents can a paladin be worried since there are just 4 point left in the prot core build? Cool
_________________
Questioner
Tue Nov 20, 2007 1:11 pm
Honestly, I find precision to not be as essential as people say. Yes, it is great, but it doesn't keep you alive and it is less tps than 1HS. Assuming PoJ works, it does help keep you alive (through both spell resist and moving out of aoes). Being as I have far less problems with threat issues than staying alive, I take PoJ AND Spell warding.
_________________
<3 Tankadin at Heart.

fuzzygeek
Wed Nov 21, 2007 9:46 am
I took PoJ in lieu of Spell Warding and BoK.

I need to check through WWS parses to see if it's had much of an affect on the damage I've been taking.

I do know PoJ is exceedingly helpful on a number of fights -- particularly Al'ar, when I'm tanking many, many birdies and still need a high level of mobility.

I'll probably spec out of PoJ at some point and see if I miss it, once I've gotten used to having it.
_________________
Suikano
Wed Nov 21, 2007 1:31 pm
If I can step in and try to make a bit of a summation post:
PoJ is not a shitty talent, spell warding is not a shitty talent, put together they can offer significant benefit to a tankadin who is facing incoming magic damage.

It would probably be unwise to drop physical mitigation/survival talents in order to pick these two up since the majority of damage we deal with is physical.

It's up to the player to determine where they can drop points from threat/damage/utility if they feel a need to escape more magic damage by taking these two talents.

It would probably be wise to take a look and see overall what you are dying to, but generically speaking, taking PoJ is not going to ruin you as a tank, on occasion it will save you, but you won't be able to depend on it. However, we all know you can't depend on 90% dodge, every now and then you'll get unlucky. But every little bit helps.
_________________