Skip to content
Maintankadin

Living with PoJ, thoughts after 2 weeks.

Thundaar
Wed Nov 21, 2007 2:25 pm
That was perfectly delivered. I loled.
Dorvan
Wed Nov 21, 2007 3:40 pm
Can't resist one last word: even assuming avoidance is as good as mitigation, SW is 2%/point while PoJ is 1%/point. Also, when evaluating the run speed I think it's good to view it as 2.33% run speed + 1 stamina per point, as boar's speed will give you 8% run speed while sacrificing only 3 stam (a pretty good tradeoff in my book). I think PoJ is a reasonable flavor choice, but if you're considering it at the cost of SW I'd have to revert to saying no, it's not worthwhile....I see it coming more at the cost of BoK or Precision.
Demiblade
Wed Nov 21, 2007 11:05 pm
I currently have PoJ instead of Precision. Never in my prot pally career have I been so undecisive about my talents. I don't want to touch any other talents like kings, spell warding, or improved judgment becuase I just don't feel too comfortable to do 5 mans, raid MT-ing, or threat races without those.

I really really want both PoJ and Precision. Both of them are just beautiful in 2.3.

PoJ
This is not a bad talent at all. I am saying this from my hands-on experience. It is just as good as other talents in ret tree for a tank. 3% chance not to get hit by spells means it's 3% chance to fully mitigate a spell as if you were a warrior for that moment and popped a free spell reflect without any rage cost. It is also 3% chance to resist binary spells like fear. The extra movement speed is king when you do BGs. In PvE as a MT, you control the positioning of your team. Mobility is even more so important in ZA where several trash and bosses NEED you to move fast. 3 stamina gained from boots enchant scales with paladin talents and give you like 40 more hp. It is a talent that keeps you alive better as a tank no matter how you argue about it. And survival is important for a tank because a dead tank generates 0 TPS.

Precision
I won't bat an eye about dropping this talent pre 2.3. But now things have changed. 3% chance not to get your taunts resisted is a huge buff as a tank, especially when one of the ZA bosses is designed so you MUST taunt even if no one screwed up. A talent like this for warriors is deep down in Fury tree and any warrior tank would kill for this talent in their prot tree just because of the new taunt mechanics. Add 3% more spell hit for more threat, this has become a solid talent unless you are already melee/spell hit capped (which is not gonna happen in optimal tanking gear). Most probably I will respec and go for this talent once I get a new pair of boots to slap boar's enchant on, and amani punisher mace with spell hit to stack spell hit further and go nuts with my threat. Till then, I will enjoy my PoJ while it lasts and yell "Hah, kite MORE!" at rogues in BGs.

It's really a shame I can't have both.
_________________
Soltyr
Thu Nov 22, 2007 12:30 am
No to defend Poj vs SW, but for the love of a good discussion I'd like to point, as a few of us have made, PoJ give also mitigation against binary spell (SW doesn't).

It's like to have +X all resist.
Can someone do some math? How much is this value?
_________________
Lieris
Thu Nov 22, 2007 10:06 am
I've been playing with PoJ for the last week as retribution and I am not all that convinced by it. We still get kited way too easily and things were better I think before the BoF nerf.

As a tanking talent I don't think it's worth sacrificing protection talents for and whilst the extra speed is noticeable over a long distance it isn't really for the shorter distances you might need when tanking especially if you already have boar's speed.
_________________