Skip to content
Maintankadin

The I want to tank giant bosses spec

jere
Mon Jun 30, 2008 12:21 pm
Well how much BV do you typically run (and state whether that includes SS or not)?
_________________
Worldie
Mon Jun 30, 2008 6:33 pm
There's a immense difference between "utter crap" and "not optimal".

I'd like to stop using the utter-crap term when it's absolutely false.

I still repeat, 40/21 just loses ardent defender, which is more or less useful depending on the single specific paladin. It's nowhere bad to tank bosses, i still do that with it, that includes Brutallus itself (which is the "hardest" boss to tank at the moment) without dying. Or well, when we wipe it's hardly for tank death anyway.

Maybe we just got godlike healers (not)
_________________


Proud founder of the 40/21 club
Kalakaua
Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:49 am
Shield specialization is not a godly talent, but it's the best talent choice if your goal is to reduce as much damage as possible.

With a modest 300 block value before talents, shield spec will reduce that 6k blow by a full 1.5%. Does 344 armor reduce damage by 1.5% when you have close to 20k armor already? Imagine if you stacked more block value and had the libram from Mother Shahraz?

Armor is great at reducing damage taken, but the block value gained from shield spec usually reduces much more.
Worldie
Tue Jul 01, 2008 3:53 am
The reduction in damage from Shield Spec is comparable to the 4% difference between RF and Imp DF.

Is it going to be noticeable on short term? No
Is it going to save you from burst damage? No
Is it noticeable on long term? No unless you look on WWS

Shield spec is a overlooked talent. And it can be taken with the 40/21 anyway (i got it since we are on Felmyst, but i'm still 40/21, i just skipped Precision), so the point doesn't sussist.
_________________


Proud founder of the 40/21 club
jere
Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:02 am
Sorry for the double post, but the other was getting cluttered.

I think I understand your question now. I was thinking you were still comparing to shield spec when in reality, you were wanting to know if IDA was equal to a certain amount of Block Value straight up. Here is a chart of how much "Block Value" that IDA is worth straight up (not talking SS or anything, just plain old total block value).

Frickit
Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:13 am
I think I understand the concept. It would be a mistake to replace SS with IDA/Reckoning right before we get ready for MH. I might do it down the road for fun considering at a certain point they mitigate the same damage. Thanks.
_________________




6/6ZA 2/2GL 1/1ML 3/4TK 5/6SSC Doomwalker:)
jere
Tue Jul 01, 2008 7:54 am
One thing you might consider if you really want reckoning is going 0/50/11

Basically taking 2 points out of spell warding and 1 out of improved judgement and going 3/5 reckoning with those points. The amount of magical damage we take isn't nearly as much as the physical damage. However, it is still an interesting tradeoff: 4% spell dmg mitigation versus extra threat. I see the argument for both sides. I have been trying the 50/11 spec for the last few weeks now and have been pretty happy with it. It might be something you want to test out and see how it goes.
_________________