Skip to content
Maintankadin

3.1 Talent build conclusion (?)

WrenCroft
Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:47 pm

Re: 3.1 Talent build conclusion (?)

Think I will try out http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#sMZA0xA0uMGsIufzvo0x0M to stick to the pally tanking roots and generate a little more AoE threat by using Glyph of Hammer of the Righteous. Didnt get in on the PTR but if there's no use for CC in Ulduar as the case was in Naxx a little extra AoE threat wont hurt on trash.
Grehn|Skipjack
Tue Apr 14, 2009 10:50 pm

Re: 3.1 Talent build conclusion (?)

WrenCroft wrote:Think I will try out http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#sMZA0xA0uMGsIufzvo0x0M to stick to the pally tanking roots and generate a little more AoE threat by using Glyph of Hammer of the Righteous. Didnt get in on the PTR but if there's no use for CC in Ulduar as the case was in Naxx a little extra AoE threat wont hurt on trash.

There will be CC in Ulduar.
Jasari
Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:02 pm

Re: 3.1 Talent build conclusion (?)

pallyberry wrote:
Jasari wrote:You gain the threat from damage caused by other paladin's retribution aura that is on you.


if that were true wouldn't ret aura show up on MY damage meter? I think it only gains threat to the person who originally cast it?

Maybe you're out of range?
WrenCroft
Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:07 pm

Re: 3.1 Talent build conclusion (?)

Grehn|Skipjack wrote:
WrenCroft wrote:Think I will try out http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#sMZA0xA0uMGsIufzvo0x0M to stick to the pally tanking roots and generate a little more AoE threat by using Glyph of Hammer of the Righteous. Didnt get in on the PTR but if there's no use for CC in Ulduar as the case was in Naxx a little extra AoE threat wont hurt on trash.

There will be CC in Ulduar.


in that case I will drop SotP and put those 2 points into SoB
Jasari
Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:27 pm

Re: 3.1 Talent build conclusion (?)

WrenCroft wrote:
Grehn|Skipjack wrote:
WrenCroft wrote:Think I will try out http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#sMZA0xA0uMGsIufzvo0x0M to stick to the pally tanking roots and generate a little more AoE threat by using Glyph of Hammer of the Righteous. Didnt get in on the PTR but if there's no use for CC in Ulduar as the case was in Naxx a little extra AoE threat wont hurt on trash.

There will be CC in Ulduar.


in that case I will drop SotP and put those 2 points into SoB


Why aren't you maxing out Crusade?
Grehn|Skipjack
Tue Apr 14, 2009 11:31 pm

Re: 3.1 Talent build conclusion (?)

More importantly, why isn't he maxing out JotJ? If the answer is "I heard it doesn't work on bosses" I'm going to have a friggin conniption.
tymnet
Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:09 am

Re: 3.1 Talent build conclusion (?)

Hi guys,
First time poster. I've been reading this thread the past few hours waiting for the servers to come online and tinkering with my build. Just wondering what you guys think http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#sZV0tAbuMGsIufdts0x0M
Regards tymnet
bjanssen
Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:03 am

Re: 3.1 Talent build conclusion (?)

Dorvan wrote:Taking Imp HoJ to help with interrupts in PvE is a joke imo, but perhaps others may disagree.


I know an interrupt with a 20 second cooldown isn't great, but my guild often doesn't have many interrupters at all so I end up being the one to do it myself.

Add to that the sad fact that we wipe to adds more than we should (not my fault my tanking partner thinks trash is unimportant and frequently pulls three groups at once, wait for the pat to lea... arggh!) so being able to stun particularly unpleasant trash seems useful.

Happy to be persuaded otherwise just not sure why being able to stun 50% more often is viewed so poorly.
Griffonheart
Wed Apr 15, 2009 1:59 am

Re: 3.1 Talent build conclusion (?)

I think we can all agree that, having choices, even for the same role (be it MT, OT, or AoE), is already a sign of a good design. As much as I question the impact of dual spec it gives us the option to spec Prot/Prot, that I appreciate.

I really think a pally's role in raid will very much determines the two specs and glyphs he/she will use, no? If a pally does mainly MT then it's pretty much a choice of threat vs survival spec, compare to a boss adds tank who might find PoJ, Guardian's Favor, etc, more useful in those occasions. Having a Ret pally in the raid also changes how people's feeling about go deep in Ret tree. Personally I'm going for one 0/53/18 spec and the other will have the utilities from Prot and/or Ret/Holy trees for trickier fights.

With that said, I think 0/53/18 is still standard, because all the utilities you might gain from specing otherwise could be overcome by good teamwork (in time).
Faeth
Wed Apr 15, 2009 7:44 am

Re: 3.1 Talent build conclusion (?)

Griffonheart wrote:Having a Ret pally in the raid also changes how people's feeling about go deep in Ret tree.

This sentence is an important one (to me). I was leaning towards having the Imp LoH spec to not be a sitting duck when having procced my Divine Protection and to be able to actively prevent a possible wipe.

However, if in fact we don't have a retri paladin in raid (on a regular basis), then 3% raidwide increased damage (HotC) alone seems valuable enough to spec into, instead of the 11 min CD "oh crap" tool.
xlos
Wed Apr 15, 2009 9:33 am

Re: 3.1 Talent build conclusion (?)

Dont forget pala's arent the only ones that give that 3% crit, so if that is your only concern, check your general raid setup.

http://raidcomp.mmo-champion.com/
Katamai
Wed Apr 15, 2009 12:27 pm

Re: 3.1 Talent build conclusion (?)

Tunnis wrote:Edit: Might take SoV glyph instead of RD.


Yeh, seriously considering it but atm i'm really close to soft cap in threat gear and since EU servers are still down, i have to wait and see how situation will be in Ulduar.
Muffswindler
Thu Apr 16, 2009 6:32 pm

Re: 3.1 Talent build conclusion (?)

0/53/18 FTW. But I am skipping PoJ and just going 5 Convinction. Also, not worried about the HotR glyph, one more target isn't that big a deal considering you will never be the only tank in the group and tab cycling is easy mode with Omen up. Gonna keep the RD and SoV glyphs, just like being closer to the Expertise cap w/o having to waste gem slots to get it and having our main taunt hit capped is vital imo. Gonna go with DP glyph for the third instead of the judgment glyph just because I don't see 10% inc dmg a major issue anymore noow that they buffed SotR and exorcism works on all targets. AND Divine plea will constantly be up during a fight since it refreshes itself, so an extra 3% dmg reduction is great considering a lot of the bosses in Ulduar hit like brick S***houses.

http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#sZV0tAbuMusIufdts0x0c:kpGcmV