Skip to content
Maintankadin

I am Holyret

Sarutankah
Fri Nov 28, 2008 4:11 pm

I am Holyret

So my intention ever since I saw the new talent trees was to spec sheathadin and retholy heal my way through heroics etc (for badges so I can go back to tanking again).

http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=sxA0gMzZaZVfbxrhzcrsL0h

23/5/43


I'm loving it so far and although I miss the guaranteed instant on the move heal that is Holy shock and the awesome haste in deep holy I am finding the rolling hots from 4.2k fol more than adequate for tank healing, along with the increased crit from sacred shield, the holy light glyph just rounds it out quite well. Also able to provide replenishment to the party which I really hate to be without, as well as the extra 70 ish mp5 from jotw.

And if things are looking nasty.. I can even in my crap greens and blues pop out a guaranteed 13k ish crit holy light (16k with wings up) that keeps a nice 7-8k hot ticking while I fol the party.

Can't wait to actually get some epics Surprised

1550 sp with BOM and good ol' horn of winter gives another 100 or so from a base of 1340 ish.

edit - fixed error with actual linked spec, must have cut a letter off at end or something?
_________________
Sarutankah
Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:07 pm
And why not lol, I healed Halls of Lightning at 78 with a scrub tank.


You may just have been hit in the head by big monsters too much Razz



Healing is absolutely pisseasy in WOTLK.

And bacon is nice but meh, I am so used to whack a mole that I just heal everyone all the time anyway and with pretty much every FOL critting everyone has a hot on em and melee get aoe healed and sacred shield helps a lot as well.
_________________
Worldie
Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:16 pm
Normals, maybe you might work it out (for sure i couldn't).

Heroics... plenty of aoe damage and the tank getting spanked for 7-8k melees every 2 seconds... i don't see that happening.
_________________

Uord - Prot Warrior
Darkworldie - Death Knight

Tanking... srs business
Sarutankah
Fri Nov 28, 2008 6:26 pm
I shall find out tonight, but if you looked at my gear.... you wouldn't think I could heal heroics in any spec Laughing

It's just like ret tanks lately - we're all desperate for something a little different with some newness to it, obviously the novelty may wear off once we NEED beacon because of the aoe damage flying around but as I said, in scrub blues I heal for 4.2k per flash of light crit - in good gear I would expect upwards of 5k crits to even 6k raid buffed from the holy/ret spec with rolling hots of 60% to follow.

I also find sheath healing to scale really well with other buffs like Kings and Horn of winter or shammy totems etc. Not to mention the 200 extra we get from Imp BOM to begin with.

The thing I miss the most really is the haste and lights grace... Holy light takes... AGES to cast rofl.

Sarutankah
Fri Nov 28, 2008 10:46 pm
And that's lovely for you Lev but just because something is different doesn't mean it doesn't work as well with a bit of skill and effort.


Paladin tanks pre wotlk for example, not the best at the job by a long run especially to begin with.
_________________
elson
Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:30 am
Best of luck to you but in all honesty I'd say beacon is a requirement for these heroics until they are very much out geared. Perhaps even then.

Worldie wasn't overstating the damage that tanks can take, perhaps it was even understated. Meanwhile your dps, and you will be taking significant damage at the same time. I do not see this spec having the tools for the job, just as simple as that.
_________________
Zeal without wisdom is folly

My armory: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Thrall&n=Elson
Sarutankah
Sat Nov 29, 2008 3:18 am
So yeah played around a bit more, too tired to do serious stuff so just went to Sunwell, managed to hit 1919 sp raid buffed from a base of 1350, hence why I like the spec, big numbers etc.


Really need a whole lot of haste to be comfortable with it and yeah - holy is still easier overall so far, will have to go back as until the tanks outgear shit it's a bit hardcore.

Edit:
Lol - I take it back, with a decent tank in a bit of T7 I was able to heal H VH piece of piss without ever going under 10k mana... Even got the Shadow dance achievement with no deaths.

More haste is all I'm really missing at the moment.

http://www.wowarmory.com/character-achievements.xml?r=Frostmourne&n=Sarutankah my armory so you can see how awful geared I actually is.
_________________
Worldie
Sat Nov 29, 2008 1:56 pm
Violet hold is just a big fat normal with no significant party damage.

i'd suggest you trying utgarde keep or nexus heroic, then come back. If you can manage to heal last boss of both as non full holy... great kudos to you, really. Cause our holy paladins (which are quite good) have troubles as full holy.

And those are easy heroics heh. Stratholme as well, last boss as non holy even in normal? Suicide.
_________________

Uord - Prot Warrior
Darkworldie - Death Knight

Tanking... srs business
Sarutankah
Sat Nov 29, 2008 3:05 pm
Maybe the extra GCD from refreshing beacon for whatever the rediculous mana cost is at 80 is causing the holy pallies to fail whereas a whackamole guy woulda just been spamming away.

Hybrid heals for more per heal which balances it out against the quicker heals from holy somewhat, it also has better mana return through activity and encourages you to get into a fight a little = harder and a much more rewarding experience for me.

Beacon is still only effective heals so in 5 mans can be a bit arse but I'm gonna respec full holy tonight and stack some haste for a bit of a change.

I do hate to suggest this Worldie but maybe you are playing with healers that aren't fully adapting to content and are banking on Bacon to get them through when they should really just get better at healing Razz Hey, I said maybe Razz Surprised

Worldie
Sat Nov 29, 2008 4:03 pm
That achievement is very easy to do if you do it appropriately. If you don't no healer is going to keep the party up with 5-6+ void thingies spamming shadowbolts on the party + boss meleeing tank. Even if i'd guess Sacred Shield can be quite powerful on that specific fight.


Again, try one of the above istances. Expecially last boss in utgarde keep, or even worse, stratholme in normal/heroic. If you manage to heal heroic malganis or heroic "nameoftheinfiniteboss" as non holy, very big kudos to you.


And obviously, i'm talking about a non full T7 party, cause at that point it's like a full T6 healer offspecced healing TBC heroics.
_________________

Uord - Prot Warrior
Darkworldie - Death Knight

Tanking... srs business
Maihes
Sat Nov 29, 2008 5:30 pm
Go do heroic HoL without Bacon, or a few others >.>

I do every heroic every day for past few days and most are quite a joke for healer (a holy pally I found as a pug and now heals me through everything ((DW DK tank)) )

+Healing isn't the end all be all stat.
_________________


80 DW DK Successful PuG Raid Leader Sehiam
Sarutankah
Sat Nov 29, 2008 6:40 pm
I can see where you guys are coming from and will inevetibly respec bacon when the encounters begin to demand it, been 80 for around 3 days though and with work getting in my way I haven't had a chance to run the other 80 instances even on normal.

You can't deny that 5k+ crit flash of light isn't damn cool for my gear level and that's what I was critting in sunwell, ultimately it points to massive single target throughput above what holy can do in same gear( with flash - the holy light throughput with light's grace is awesome although not sustainable) (as they get no heal buffs above a bit of int whereas I was rocking an extra 500sp from buffs) and may well be a spec worth having for specific fights (patchwerk HS tank healer) when dual spec gets here.

Something to note though - the idea of the hot is cool but... it did around 3% of my total healing in H VH, very negligable as if someone has enough damage for a hot to heal I would be flashing them again anyway.
_________________
Majiben
Sat Nov 29, 2008 6:54 pm
His spec scales very poorly. Only 1 point in sheath of light but 5 in divine str. No spell power from intellect. Missing a lot of crit from the holy tree. If I was insistent on getting Sheath of light for ret/holy healing I would chose a spec closer to this 23/0/48. 9% more healing crit, and AP scaling 300% faster than the spec you linked.
_________________
Majiben
If we wanted Ret to be a joke, we would have just left the tree as it was, and maybe kicked it a little for good measure. -GC