Skip to content
Maintankadin

Forum Upgrade (+FAQ!)

Lore
Mon Mar 23, 2009 7:51 pm

Forum Upgrade (+FAQ!)

IMPORTANT NOTE: You may want to save your posts to your hard drive for the time being. See the FAQ below for more details.

Hello, fellow Maintankadins!

As you've no doubt noticed, things look a little... different around here. Sabin and Aergis have been hard at work, and as a result, we've upgraded to PHPBB3!

A handful of the new features this provides:
  • Friends and Foes! Add people to your friends list, and you can see when they're online! Add them to your foes list, and you won't see them at all! Their posts will only display as a small link, which you'll have to click to see it.
  • Report a post! Now instead of having to dig up a Moderator and send them a PM, you can just click the handy little "Report" icon on offending posts, and one of us will get to it in no time.
  • Other new features! PHPBB3 is a lot more expandable and moddable than PHPBB2 was, so we're able to add in handy little tricks here and there much easier than before.

However, we're still in a bit of a transitional period. To help ease things a little bit, here's a short FAQ:

Q: Why is everything so UGLY?
A: Part of the upgrade means that, unfortunately, the layout we were using in the old PHPBB2 system just can't be copied over. Aergis is hard at work whipping together a spiffy new PHPBB3-friendly layout, so just bear with us, and rest assured that the current look of the site is only temporary.

Q: It says I my account doesn't exist, why?
A: There was a small glitch when we were transferring over the user database from the old site, and as a result a bunch of accounts got... uh... "misplaced." Sabin is working on a solution, but in the meantime, go ahead and register a new account, and let us know (in this thread).
Note: We may end up having to go through the transfer process again. This would restore all the missing user accounts (and their posts), but anything that has been posted since the boards came back up would be lost. It's probably a good idea to save any posts you can't bear to lose to your hard drive for the time being. We're going to avoid doing this if at all possible, but restoring those posts is a top priority.

Q: Searches don't work!
A: Searches totally work now. All rumors and hearsay to the contrary are FALSE and INACCURATE.

Thanks so much for bearing with us, we promise we'll have everything back in top shape soon!
Guillex
Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:06 pm

Re: Forum Upgrade (+FAQ!)

First
Andox
Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:07 pm

Re: Forum Upgrade (+FAQ!)

What do you mean with saving posts to HDD? Like copy them into a document or is there some special way to save all posts you've made on Maintankadin and upload them if something goes wrong?
Invisusira
Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:13 pm

Re: Forum Upgrade (+FAQ!)

No no no you're going to want to take a screen shot of your post and then print it out onto paper. That way you can scan it back in if you want.
Andox
Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:14 pm

Re: Forum Upgrade (+FAQ!)

Invisusira wrote:No no no you're going to want to take a screen shot of your post and then print it out onto paper. That way you can scan it back in if you want.

:twisted:

Hm, seems like I accidently did some strange doubleposting since the forum froze =( Sowwy.
Worldie
Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:17 pm

Re: Forum Upgrade (+FAQ!)

How can there be a sticky without my important intervention?


I just wanted to tell you that... well, i'll keep it as a secret.
Lore
Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:19 pm

Re: Forum Upgrade (+FAQ!)

Andox wrote:What do you mean with saving posts to HDD? Like copy them into a document or is there some special way to save all posts you've made on Maintankadin and upload them if something goes wrong?


Just copied into notepad, yeah
Invisusira
Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:25 pm

Re: Forum Upgrade (+FAQ!)

(and THEN print it)
Venoseth
Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:37 pm

Re: Forum Upgrade (+FAQ!)

Excited to see what the future holds for the site.

One of my favorite sites, especially thanks to the fact that I can use it from work. heh
Andox
Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:38 pm

Re: Forum Upgrade (+FAQ!)

Invisusira wrote:(and THEN print it)


Then scan it and then use a OCR software.
Sabindeus
Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:46 pm

Re: Forum Upgrade (+FAQ!)

bumping because I added a faq
Isetnefret
Mon Mar 23, 2009 8:54 pm

Re: Forum Upgrade (+FAQ!)

Ironically, our guild made this same upgrade from PHPBB2 to PHPBB3 with the exact opposite result.

At work, I'm behind a firewall, and on the guild BB2, I had no connection problems.

When the guild upgraded to BB3, my posts get authentication errors 75% of the time, which means I lose whatever I was working on (now I write it up in Word first) and have to log in again.


For Maintankadin, when you used PHPBB2, I got the authentication errors 75% of the time. Now that you've upgraded to BB3, I've been error free.....

So I have no clue what the deal is, unless there's some sort of authentication setting????


Either way, whatever you've done, I highly approve!

I just wish I could fix the guild forums.
Andris
Mon Mar 23, 2009 11:05 pm

Re: Forum Upgrade (+FAQ!)

I'm looking forward to the new skin... the current one hurts my eyes. Especially the difference between sticky and non-sticky posts means I have to think when reading. :D
Selinaria
Tue Mar 24, 2009 6:49 am

Re: Forum Upgrade (+FAQ!)

A good change :D

/sage nod
WATERBOYsh
Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:44 pm

Re: Forum Upgrade (+FAQ!)

A couple of suggestions that I don't know if they can be done easily or not.

1) Where the page numbers are in a thread, there needs to be a next and previous button. The number buttons are small and sometimes its hard to see what number your at to click the next number.
2) if I'm on page 1 of a 412 page thread and want to get to page 150, I have to click through 3 pages at a time to get there. Can there be a "go to page" label with a textbox and a go button somewhere maybe?