Skip to content
Maintankadin

3.1 prot spec for soloing

viperas
Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:27 pm

3.1 prot spec for soloing

Hello all, avid maintankadin stalker but don't post often so I hope this isn't in the wrong section.

As a 'casual' with school/classes/girlfriend I cant often raid and have developed a love for soloing all the old world instances/raids I never got to see back in the day (hit 60 5 days before BC). With the new talent changes and the ability to switch to another spec on a whim Im either going to do a standard tank spec/solo tank spec or a solo tank spec/solo ret spec.

Was wondering if anyone had any ideas for a solid soloing build. Things like devinity and reconing that many shy away from for a pure raiding build seem to hold much more viable roles in soloing things.

Any ideas will help
Dorvan
Tue Apr 14, 2009 8:37 pm

Re: 3.1 prot spec for soloing

Go Ret for solo'ing. Seriously. That includes for running old 5 mans. The only thing you'd need Prot for is solo'ing old raid bosses, and any standard MT spec should still be quite serviceable for that purpose.
masterpoobaa
Wed Apr 15, 2009 10:44 pm

Re: 3.1 prot spec for soloing

Ive been quite sucessful solo'ing as prot.
Moreso now with the continual uptime of Divine Plea.

my spec is: http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#sZV0tAbuMGRIufdxsohbc
Have soloed pretty much all the Northrend quests & quest bosses, with only 2 icecrown exceptions.
have soloed Onyxia, ubrs and others.

My gear is primarily block - 25.15% unbuffed.

For BC and classic content, i actually swap out a few pieces of tanking gear for spellpower/int gear.
I go from 28.2k hp 5.5k mana and 25% block.
Down to 25k hp, 9k mana, 22% block.

My damage mitigation is still very good vs BC and lower content, and with the int/spellpower healing gear i get a far larger mana pool, better heals, and am much less likely to go OOM on BC bosses that hit hard and require SoL/JoL.
viperas
Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:42 am

Re: 3.1 prot spec for soloing

Thanks for both of the replies.

With the pre-3.1 tankadin spec I had Ony, many of ZG, and 3 MC bosses were all doable. My thought is that with the DP changes, the lower DC on HoJ and the ability to spec Ret for bosses that are much easier as ret things will be easier. Hopefully going to test some specs and gear combos tonight.
Bunni
Sun Apr 19, 2009 10:56 am

Re: 3.1 prot spec for soloing

masterpoobaa wrote:Ive been quite sucessful solo'ing as prot.
Moreso now with the continual uptime of Divine Plea.

my spec is: http://www.wowhead.com/?talent#sZV0tAbuMGRIufdxsohbc
Have soloed pretty much all the Northrend quests & quest bosses, with only 2 icecrown exceptions.
have soloed Onyxia, ubrs and others.


Not saying you can't solo more with Prot or that it's impossible by any means, but I can say the same thing about my leveling with Ret. I soloed pretty much everything I ran across including most of the icecrown stuff. I don't even switch to a shield for Onyxia and can't much tell the difference outside of it going faster with Ret than Prot (I tried both).