So dual spec is here and I've decided to hang up my Ret spec for a while and go with Holy and Prot to see how I like them (tanked for my casual guild through BC, never healed before). I'm a rather casual raider these days -- filling in the odd dps spot in 10s or 25s on weekends for guild or pug -- but figure most raids are going to have a solid tank corps, so my prot playtime will be mostly in heroics.
That said, I see a lot of discussion about the finer points of talent spec at the high-end raid level (good gear, progression fights), but not a lot about how the priorities change when there aren't so many buffs or other paladins around, and while wearing lower level gear (iLevel 200 blues and crafed/rep epics).
In particular I wonder about things like:
* Is going down Ret for Crusade (a) a waste because I could be getting more utility talents in prot; or (b) absolutely necessary because the dps I pug is probably going to be well-geared and trigger happy?
* Is 1/2 SA enough, given that I probably won't have replenishment, or int buffs all the time?
* Is Imp HoJ a good choice, given that there's more non-immune mobs in 5-mans? And is it better that Divine Guardian? (since there's every chance I won't have another paladin healing, the idea of more powerful SS on myself seems tempting).
* Other stuff that I haven't even considered
Right now I'm considering a fairly standard 0/53/18, focusing on utility with 3/3 HotC and 2/2 Imp Might, but looking for more insights before I commit.
rodos
Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:59 pm
