Skip to content
Maintankadin

Reckoning a dying talent? Litterally

Drusus
Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:30 pm

Reckoning a dying talent? Litterally

After all the theorycrafting we all know as gear and player skill gets better the less reckoning is useful, but could this talent be holding us back? Causing us to die when we otherwise would have been fine?

To look at reckoning it is considered a threat boosting spec, my question is why is the most capable class wanting a 5 point talent in this area, esspically considering the following.
This example is prince phase 2. The first time I tanked him in kara we ened up wiping in phase two due to him doing 15000 dmg in about 2.3 seconds.
Now during phase 1 on this attempt I barely took dmg, was never in danger of dying, not even close enough for AD to kick in.
I went over the log after a second attempt telling my guild to take a short break while i figured it out, I died every time shortly after a reckoning proc and being parried 2-3 times just before dying. This had to be it right? So we go to try it again this time clicking off reckoning when it proc'd and sometimes not auto attacking at all.
We down him easily after 2 of the dps drop dead from a dumb move on their part in phase one. (sigh nub ms warriors)

Basically all this 5-point talent does is boost threat with an unreliable proc and give us the chance to wipe our raid at the same time.
Effectivly 8-manning prince after two horrible wipes.
Ok so as avoidance goes up (as well as mitigation) Reckoning is going to proc less.
In the future when itemization gets to the point that every tanking piece has +spell dmg, what is going ot be the point in having this talent?
This research was spawned while trying to find what to drop for the new POJ and precision, and I think I've found it.
_________________

kalbear
Tue Nov 06, 2007 2:53 pm
Well, another answer is to add expertise, which will reduce parry chances. But yeah, reckoning is likely the very odd man out here; there are just too many good things.

Which is a shame, because it's insane when farming.
Jadlak
Tue Nov 06, 2007 5:33 pm
so... reading between the lines here... when an enemy parries you - you can get hit harder? or something?
Worldie
Tue Nov 06, 2007 6:52 pm
I still consider Reckoning invaluable... for leveling. Something that i can drop without thinking much back.

I don't like procs at all.
_________________

Garwin
Wed Nov 07, 2007 4:02 am
I'm starting to wonder if reckoning is infact causing seal of vengence stacks to fall off more oftern.

but I can't remeber if it's a PPM or a % chance to proc.

it just seems to me that when reconing kicks off your stack is artificially increased and thus reducing the chance that you will be able to maintain the stack later as your've proced all your charges early.
Matizieu
Thu Nov 08, 2007 3:36 pm
So in response to the OP, this would tend to suggest that Reckoning is actually an extreme liability, as it provides mobs twice the opportunity for parry-related hasting in what's otherwise the same time period?

This is very interesting, indeed. Where would one go to find more information on exactly what happens when either a player or a mob parries?
_________________
Matipzrieu - 70 Protection Paladin - Lightbringer
375 Blacksmith/Engineer