Skip to content
Maintankadin

3 points left

M'hael
Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:25 pm

3 points left

So in anticipation of 2.3 last night i specced into combat expertise and configured my new spec how i want it. But now i have 3 points left over and im not sure what i want to do. i can either put 1 point into kings and 2 into spell warding or i can put 3 into PoJ. I'm heavily leaning toward PoJ because i like the movement speed and the minus chance to be hit.

here is the current build i have with my 3 extra points open http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=sZVhxIx0zMgqtVbx

what do you think i should do?
Dorvan
Tue Nov 13, 2007 1:37 pm
You can go either way, and you'll see people argue both sides. Personally, I'm doing SW + BoK because:

1. Not all of my guild's Holy Pallies have BoK and I like to have it for 5/10 mans anyway
2. I'm happy to take a little extra mitigation where I can, and I'd rather have the "mitigation" of Spell Warding over the unreliable "avoidance" of PoJ.
Demiblade
Wed Nov 14, 2007 1:32 am
You know what, I got both. I just dropped precision altogether instead.

Reasoning
+3% chance to hit in melee?
I've bought a gear piece with expertise today to fill this gap, bracers. I will be getting the necklace next too with expertise and +hit rating. I'm also dumping 5 points into combat expertise which I didn't have before for additional hit chance. Being a human with +expertise to swords and maces, I really don't think I'll be in desperate need for melee +hit.

+3% chance to hit with spells?
I'm picking up some spell hit in my belt and boots slot with badge gear eventually. Now spell hit is even less important because it no longer affects my taunt. If I'm not mana starved, chances are, my threat is just fine. And hey, how the hell did I tank without the +3% on spells in this talent last time?

New PoJ?
This seem like the only true mitigation talent in ret tree, and the only way to get a paladin to total 7% spell dmg mitigation (combined with 4% from spell warding). Although I like spell warding's straight mitigation over PoJ's chance based avoidance, I don't really have any other alternatives to mitigate damage intake. I get to MT a lot, and should be doing more so in ZA and 25 mans due to uber stamina buffs now. A MT should try to never give up any mitigation talents. And the +15% movement speed gives me 3 extra stamina on boots enchant, which scales up even higher now. It also give me a charge-like feel for fights like Al'ar where mobility is key.

My recommendation is, stick to other vanilla talents. Choose precision if you mostly OT, a non-human, and doesn't have to worry about mitigation and mobility that much. Choose PoJ if you mostly MT and threat comes from reactive damage anyways regardless of your 3% miss.

Combined with JoJ and BoF, I'm loving the PoJ in the BG daily quests now too. Kite more please!
_________________
Bavius
Wed Nov 14, 2007 4:14 am
Correct me if I'm wrong... but doesn't RF talented provide 6% reduced damage from all sources? In which case the build I have now with spell warding is a 10% reduction in spell damage.
Demiblade
Wed Nov 14, 2007 9:46 am
Ya, I meant 7% on top of the 6% RF already gives, making it a 13% mitigation in total. 3% probably doesn't sound a lot to you but you will understand its value if you realise how much armor you need to up in order to achieve 3% more melee damage mitigation. The thing about % based mitigation, unlike fixed value mitigation like block value, is that it scales up with encounter difficulty making you that much 3% longer to stay alive no matter what your gear is.

I just did a ZA run with this spec as a MT. I'm loving it so far. The mobility (like the AoE rush with the patrol guy SH style), and the mitigation of spells casted by those damn trolls and eagle boss on you, etc. I got nothing to complain. There's so much raw damage flying around and I'm getting so much mana back from SA that I'm spamming consecretion and HS most of the time to even notice I'm missing precision.
_________________