Skip to content
Maintankadin

Precision Issue

YoYoMa
Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:30 am

Precision Issue

Ok so I've got a potentially big issue that merits some discussion. A guildie, who is ret, just messaged me on our boards with regards to the precision talent.

For obvious reasons this is a talent ret pallies would like as well. He has been doing some testing regarding +hit and all that and took off all of his gear to verify that the precision talent was hitting as intended.

He noticed that the character sheet read 0 spell hit and melee hit even with precision. So he opened a ticket with the GM to get clarification since it didn't seem to update properly.

The GM replied that precision is a modifier to existing spell/melee hit. So if you have 10% to hit it will add 3% of that to your hit. Esentially making it 10% + (10% * 3%) = 10.3% to hit.

He was blown away (as am I) and he proceeded to have a lenghy discussion with the GM verifying that they were making sure they were talking about the same thing. My guildie asked for clarification that the only way to truely get a full 3% to hit was to already have 100% making it 103% to hit. The GM said yes, this was true!

If this is indeed the case this makes this talent mostly meaningless in my mind. I don't have means to test this or to contact a GM while at work so I didn't know if anybody else has any info regarding this or has verified this already and I just had the wool pull over my eyes.
Candiru
Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:35 am
GM means that the +3% is added on top of the +hit on your character sheet.
_________________
YoYoMa
Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:37 am
I know, isn't that an issue? I was always assuming this added a flat 3% to hit. So if I had 2% I would end up with 5% or whatever. But that doesn't sound to be the case.

I bring it up because it seems like 3 points wasted if that is indeed true. I'm not going to waste 3 points to gain 0.3% to hit.
Baelor
Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:51 am
It is a flat increase. Go spec for it, beat on a mob for 10 minutes. Then spec out of it, beat on the same mob with the same gear on for 10 minutes. You'll see ~3% more hits land when you have Precision in your build.
_________________
I am the shield that guards the realms of men.
jere
Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:52 am
A GM told me that pallies didn't have any kind of taunt a few months back...was pretty funny.

I wouldn't get too upset yet. GM's aren't always right. They are like the tech support for you cable company. They are taught how to look things up and basic responses. They don't typically "know' what they are talking about all the time (some do and some don't).

Any chance that you have a screen shot of the convo? When info gets passed from gm->friend->you, sometimes the original info gets a bit distorted
_________________
YoYoMa
Mon Nov 19, 2007 9:58 am
Yeah I told him to get me some screenies so we weren't loosing anything in translation. I'll be sure to post them when I get them.

I agree, all GMs are not created equal, but it sounded like he was pretty detailed in his response and very clear. Still, I'll get some info hopefully tonight when I get home.
Suikano
Mon Nov 19, 2007 10:59 am
You can be very detailed in your words, and very sure of your information, and be dead wrong.
_________________
Honorshammer
Mon Nov 19, 2007 11:54 am
I'm using the Raid Boss Void Reaver. With the excitement over Zul'Aman and 2.3, Void Reaver is the only boss I've done in both specs for a comparision. I've got one parse (3 attempts) in my old spec and 1 parse (6 attempts) in my new spec.

With my old spec I had 3/3 Precision and 0/5 of the old Weapon Expertise.

My new spec has 2/3 Precision and 5/5 of the new Combat Expertise.

If I look over the entire parse, the first night of attempts had many more trash mob fights than the 2nd night. The 2nd night we cleared trash much faster. To try to get as accurate a picture as possible, I'm going to have to strip out all the Trash Mobs and just look at VR.

As I looked over the data, I found that my "miss" rate increased by 1%. In my old spec, I missed about 5% of the time. In my new spec, I missed 6%. The difference between 2/3 Precision and 3/3 Precision is 1%. This would be the expected result.

What is disturbing is that I was Parried/Dodged about 2% more in my new spec. This spec, as you will remember, includes Combat Expertise. Expertise is supposed to reduce your chance to be parried or dodged. What I gather from this is that the amount of Expertise granted from the talent is not enough to make a difference. I am not sure how to account for the increase amount of Parry and Dodge.

The rate of Resists from the two fights were unchanged. Precision is supposed to have a 3% spell hit component to it, but I had a 12% resist rate in the old spec and a 12% resist rate in the new spec. Since the old spec was in 2.2, before they added spell hit to the talent, I would have been facing a base 17% resist rate. This would have changed to 15% in 2.3 with 2 points in Precision. I conclude that the 2% change in resist chance was too small to be noticed on these fights.
_________________

http://honorscode.blogspot.com/
YoYoMa
Mon Nov 19, 2007 12:43 pm
Thanks for the parsing Honors. Yes your numbers are somewhat troubling. I think what I may do is parse my logs for a week with 3/3 and then respect out of it and parse my logs for the same boss fights and see what I find, compare apples to apples.