Skip to content
Maintankadin

The Baelor special

Baelor
Sat Jun 09, 2007 8:51 pm

The Baelor special

I know I'm going to get lynched for this build by the maintankadins, but when I'm specced for protection, I use this build:
http://www.wowhead.com/?talent=aVxhbxZV0tIx0dgMqz
20/41/0

I know, I know, no Deflection. But when you've got access to some of the better gear and have an addiction to block rating gear, you can get past uncrushable without the 5% parry. It probably isn't smart to use when main tanking a raid boss on the cutting edge of your guild's progression, but it works just fine for tanking Karazhan and serving as a tank on multi-tank encounters. Plus, you still have access to Illumination, so all that spell crit healing gear you pick up along the way doesn't go to waste when you aren't needed to tank!
_________________
GM of <Adaptation>
Stats below usually unbuffed w/o Devo Aura

1617 heal, 118 mp5, & 14.24% crit heal set
Chevalier
Sun Jun 10, 2007 6:22 am
Illumination isnt anything to get real excited about w/o Divine Favor.
Also w/o Sanctified Light and Holy Power with your 15% spell crit chance, you are getting 1.8% mana back on your heals for 1 point.(.15*.2*.6) I don't think thats worth it.

EDIT: I originally stated it was for 5 points, this is for 1.
_________________
Chevalier
Sun Jun 10, 2007 8:32 am
Ah crud, the .2 would be for one point...so for 5 pts 9% less mana used. Embarassed
I still think it isnt worth just getting Illumination cause the other talents make it so much better. Still a subpar talent compared to talents in other trees. Divine Favor makes the point investment more worth it...if you were to cast 15 heals per minute (dont know if thats too conservative or not) and DF was one of those heals, with a 15% crit chance you would get ((1-.15)/30), divine favor being 1 of 30 heals, and subtracting the 15% chance it would be a crit anyway would make divine favor save you 2.8% mana. But then I guess the talents further down the holy tree that increase your crit chance make divine favor less impressive. Razz
But thats not what this is about, I suppose this build is as good as it gets for offhealing if you can really afford to not have deflection.
_________________
Baelor
Sun Jun 10, 2007 2:23 pm
Well, my issue is that I want at least 13 in holy for Healing Light - now that they've changed it to actually boost your heals with your +heal from gear accounted for, the talent adds *a lot* to my healing. With 13 in holy, and 41 in prot, it limits what I can reach for elsewhere. I could get Benediction instead of Illumination, but I haven't had many mana problems when raid tanking, even with the SA change. So, with the framework of 13/41/0, that's 7 points left over... it's either, in my mind, Benediction + either 2% parry or Improved Judgment, or Imp LoH + Illumination.

Having almost all the Karazhan healing plate, I have 10-12% holy crit even without the top tier talents when in my healing set. So, on fights like Gruul, or Nightbane, or other such fights where I'm probably not tanking, it helps my mana efficiency out a bit... Do you guys think I'd be better off going with 15/41/5 or 13/41/7, or investing the balance in prot talents instead?
_________________
GM of <Adaptation>
Stats below usually unbuffed w/o Devo Aura

1617 heal, 118 mp5, & 14.24% crit heal set
Paksennarion
Mon Jun 11, 2007 4:05 pm
Um.

Well, if you're really addicted to Block Rating, I suppose you could drop Deflection. I personally don't like it just because it's 5% avoidance being replaced with 5% mitigation. I admit, we're not very far into KZ - still working on the Maiden - but unless Block Value becomes a lot more impressive in a big big hurry, that's going to be a 4.5% increase in damage that has to be healed. If it weren't for that, then I'd consider going for it myself.

That being said, I'd probably go 15/41/5 or 15/46/0, with the extra points in 1H Spec for the 46 and Benediction, of course, for the Ret option.

I'm curious though, is there a reason you chose Imp LoH in particular over Unyielding Faith? I would think 10% Fear resist could come in handy, and I rarely use my LoH more than once a night, if that.
_________________
Baelor
Sun Jun 17, 2007 1:13 pm
I respecced back to my 20/41/0 build on Saturday afternoon to tank heroic Shattered Halls for the Nightbane quest-line. Feels good to have the heavy plate on once again Smile

I'm uncrushable still, too, with my tank gear on. It's a *lot* of block rating though. I'm trying to find a way to smuggle my Gnomeregan Auto-Blocker into the set (or my Gnomish Poultryizer) without losing 490 defense or uncrushable. I think I need Wrynn Dynasty Greaves and Boots of Elusion before I can do that.
_________________
GM of <Adaptation>
Stats below usually unbuffed w/o Devo Aura

1617 heal, 118 mp5, & 14.24% crit heal set
Jaydin
Wed Jun 20, 2007 7:28 am
as you know i used to have that spec til they released the new imp HS talents which just so happened to coincide with my drood hitting 70 ^_^ now my "never going resto" feral drood is now a happy little tree, and with the added talent points in prot (i just couldnt give up guardian's favor without a fight) i decided to do the full main tanking protadin build

Imp LoH = glorious for not only the reduced cooldown but that 30% bonus to armor? with a armor pot and imp loh i purposefully popped it the instant curator went into enrage - i got my armor up to 19k+ (and that was a bit before i had all the gear i have now ^_^)...pretty seksie imo. if you stay uncrushable and uncrittable you should be fine for tanking most things, just might take a bit more damage in the long haul with missing the 5% parry (ie total mitigation/avoidance). plus since it looks like ur gettin some action healing as well (and dont have a 70 resto alt) then id say ur spec = coolness ^_^

/salute

ps - altho im curious how itd turn out i dont know if id want to duel a prot pally...altho we should try it sometime...go full tank gear like vs a rogue/war or strap on the +dmg?
_________________
Jaydin
Wed Jun 20, 2007 8:09 am
oh i have no question about dueling rogues/warriors - i strap on my tankadin gear and watch them pummel themselves against the unbreakable holy shield of death >Smile

just curious how "tanking" a protadin would work...we deal out too much holy dmg methinks to just attempt to mitigate it like another melee class..
_________________