Skip to content
Maintankadin

Magister's Terrace, heroic 3rd boss.

Vladimir
Tue Mar 25, 2008 3:56 pm

Magister's Terrace, heroic 3rd boss.

Hi-

Just went in with a group of great players to heroic Terrace. We blasted through on normal, then had an easy time on heroic until the third boss.

We got all humanoids: fury warrior, warlock, rogue, and shaman. We also had no viable CC for the humanoids besides a succubus and fearing.

I noticed after the first attempt that the shaman was purging me like crazy, dispelling Righteous Fury. We tried locking him down/fearing the rest and killing him, but it seemed like I'd have to refresh Righteous Fury constantly.

Any suggestions on how to go about killing that Shaman when we don't have CC?

Thanks for the help!

Vladimir
Reiyuka
Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:05 pm
I had similar problems. The Shaman purges me instantly, I think so does the main boss. There are aggro resets of some kind. The rogue stuns you and everyone goes off and ganks a healer. The warrior AOE fears and then the mobs aren't in a knot.

There was just no combination of CC for that fight with a priest/mage that made it doable for me.. I expect I'll come back to it later with a fresh set of eyes.

That purge is insane though. How'd that make it through the PTR?
_________________
Vladimir
Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:16 pm
My thoughts exactly. We ran the whole way there on heroic with little CC and no problems. Then, we hit a brick wall on that third boss.

Hell of it is, I know it was because of me. They would've been fine with a druid/warrior tank on the fight, just because their aggro can't be dispelled.

I did everything I could, and we still wiped more times than I'd like to admit.

Anyone find a miracle solution?
Queycar
Tue Mar 25, 2008 9:27 pm
Just completed this on heroic....what a pain. Near as I can tell it's not an agro reset there just is no agro. What we did was we aproached it like an arena battle. We killed the Priestess first because she heals and then ran the shaman out of mana then killed him, then we took down the MS warrior and after that it was just easy to DPS the rest down.

For CC we had Priest fear bombs just about every cooldown, druid cyclone on usually whatever was attacking our healer, we had a warlock banish the demon hunter and chain fear the MS warrior...at first we tried succubus for charming but that didn't go so well.

My roll as tankadin in the encounter was basically helping out with healing and doing everything I could to keep everyone alive...hammer of justice when it was available and bop'ing the healer when neccesary. So yeah I'm fairly certain that there is NO agro table in this fight at all....i might be wrong but that's what my conclusion was from 1 run on regular and 1 run on heroic and reports from my other tank friends that ran it.

And I didn't get my trinket so i get to do it all again tomarow Confused
Jhereg
Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:09 pm
The fight does not have an agro table. They attack who they feel like, which is often not you. I spent my time tossing heals, whacking each mob with SoJ till diminishing returns hit, HoJing key heals, and spamming cleanse.

Just be ready to BoP your casters if they get a pain train from two melee classes.

Clear the first full side before you pull and fear bomb for CC. I suggest keeping the Warlord naga sheeped/feared/trapped the entire time, as he is the largest source of dmg and does mortal strike as well. The mage is largely an idiot who chain blizzards the floor. The shaman is pretty nasty, the rogue stun locks, the fury warrior is weak, the tinker is weak, and the lock is probably the second highest dps (kill the imp).
Taoden
Tue Mar 25, 2008 10:35 pm
The mobs all have an aggro list, they just reset aggro very frequently. Everything is immune to taunt in this fight but if you pop something with some high aggro stuff you can peel it off of it's current target.

My group for this was me (prot pally), arms warrior, enhancement shaman, resto shaman, and frost mage for both normal and heroic. Normal was trivial since the mobs just don't hit that hard. On heroic we had quite a rough time however with only 1 CC. The plan we used that eventually worked was to CC the rogue since he was giving us the most trouble. We put the enhancement shaman on the shaman to interrupt heals while we burned down the priestess. We killed the shaman next, then the lock, then the warrior. For the rogue it was only myself and the mage left alive and he basically kited him as best he could to finish him off.

As a tank, I recommend that you try to protect your healer at all times. Attack whatever happens to be on your healer to try to keep stuff off him as much as possible.

As far as I can tell, all the mobs in this fight are susceptible to any type of CC other than taunt. Stuns, snares, fears, sheep, etc. all work. The more CC you bring, the easier the fight will be.
_________________
Dorvan
Tue Mar 25, 2008 11:56 pm
I may write more later, but think of this encounter as a PvP battle rather than a PvE fight and you'll be in much better shape. Yes, that means you won't be doing nearly as much traditional tanking as you would normally do.
_________________
holysdrjr
Wed Mar 26, 2008 12:52 am
Sounds like we need to bring our healing gear and hit ourselves with BoW. Use our Turn Evil spell, HoJ, Bubbles... but FoL and HL seem to be our primary weapons here. Keep the DPS alive so they can do some damage.
Malecandra
Wed Mar 26, 2008 4:22 am
After MULTIPLE attempts at the 3rd boss on heroic, we decided this fight is really a secret 5v5 matchup in the middle of an instance.

We had shaman, rogue, warrior, hunter. We finally won by banishing the hunter, sheeping the warrior, fearing the rogue and then mana burning and running the boss and shaman out of mana. Once they could not heal, we picked them off one-by-one with ease.

Oh and btw - I wore my healing set. The whole group was in T5/ZA gear. This fight is about CC and alternative tactics.
Mortehl
Wed Mar 26, 2008 5:09 am
Treat this fight like a 5v5 Arena match. Pull out your pvp gear cause you're not tanking anything. EVERYONE should be wearing their 2 minute trinket.

Lock down the healers, take out the MS warrior if you get it, if not focus down the healers and move on. Use short CC to interupt heals. STAY ALIVE.
_________________
I r can pull now plz?
jere
Wed Mar 26, 2008 10:09 am
Does everyone clear the whole room (if it is even possible) or just the front half before killing this boss? I was thinking about using turn evil, but was a bit afraid of aggroing the packs behind the boss.
_________________