Skip to content
Maintankadin

threat sets for heroics?

rozakk
Sat Mar 29, 2008 5:20 am

threat sets for heroics?

Wasnt sure if this should go here or in gear forum.
I think other (raiding) paladins have ran into this problem, where they outgear a zone and end up going slower because of the lack of mana return. Having not done heroics where i actually had to use much mana for threat in a while(doing mostly pugs), it wasnt an issue for me until 2.4.
Now with t6 guildies i have to push harder on threat, and the result is sitting around drinking wihle my group goes angry.

I've been trying to scale gear down /wear spell dmg but it seems tricky because there are times where sometimes i get bursted low even now i think, and i dont want to trade gear for deaths..basically i havent found a good setup yet. Anyone else have a separate gearset they use for 5mans and if so link it?
dab
Sat Mar 29, 2008 6:33 am
I try to use stamina gear over avoidance gear. That way I take more hits, thus get healed more. I don't die, because I still have high effective health.

For example use 2 stamina trinkets instead of avoidance trinkets.
_________________
inthedrops
Sat Mar 29, 2008 7:31 am
I wear my highest spell damage gear set and pretty much ignore my other stats except to ensure that I have enough health. This pretty much solves my mana problem since I don't have to drop very many concecrates. It happens to have a decent amount of dodge too but my BV is very very low Smile
_________________
UMIO
Fri Apr 18, 2008 11:20 pm
couldn't you just pull more meaning more damage taken and more mana gained?
_________________
Aloette
Sat Apr 19, 2008 5:24 pm
^ your avatar disturbs me

To the OP, it really depends on what your healer is capable of doing. if you're pulling 2 groups, or wearing your stamina or threat set instead of your mitigation or blockvalue set, the healer may just not have the gear or skill to keep you alive.

another thing you can do to really lower your mana useage is to use rank 4 consecrate. I believe it still recieves something like 93% of your total spelldamage, and it costs quite a bit less of mana, and should be sufficient to hold aggro on the mobs you are not DPsing.

Also, I find that I can, with certain groups, avoid judging the 3rd and 4th mobs in a pull, and sometimes even the 2nd. AS, holy shield and consecrate have built enough of a threat lead that judging isn't necessary, so you can save mana by not having to reseal/judge each target. Obviously this doesn't work too well on caster mobs, because they're typically using up holy shield charges.