Skip to content
Maintankadin

Trash - Prioritizing stats

Bryne
Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:53 pm
Your DPS must be awfully slow. I've never had a broken (or even yellow) shield in a full clear, and if you wipe you can simply repair outside.

To the OP: When you start, you'll want to prioritize stats like block value/rating, stam, effective health stuff. As your gear (and your healers and DPS) gets better, you'll want to start prioritizing spell damage.
_________________
Worldie
Thu Feb 28, 2008 2:17 pm
I actually always have shield at 20% or less if we don't wipe when we get to Archimonde.
_________________

strydaris
Mon Mar 03, 2008 12:30 pm
I have had a few occasions where I had broke my shield by the time we were at Az. What I found is that if I stacked my block value / rating set then most likely I would have my shield close to breaking, but if I used my normal tanking set which is about 20% dodge 20% parry and 25% block rating then I seem to be fine.

Of course we all know this but it only makes sense. More Block rating = more blocks = more dmg taken to your shield.
_________________
http://wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Azjol-Nerub&n=Strydaris
enbee
Mon Mar 03, 2008 3:24 pm
I just stack spelldamage these days and take a ret pally in my group, 180 consec ticks pre AW/trinkets wohoo :>, I usually end up top 5 damage counting the full hyjal run up to archi (where I swap out to go slack and get dkp for pvping on my warrior Very Happy)
_________________

LoL, a paladin tank!
Lieris
Mon Mar 03, 2008 6:16 pm
Having two shields is great advice.

I have a 40% BR 700 BV set for easy pulls with fel hunters, ghouls and spiders but if I know I am going to tank two abominations I prefer more EH.

That said I personally don't think your gear setup for Hyjal matters all that much, sometimes I've been lazy and just used my "normal" tanking set and not noticed any real difference. Hyjal trash is pretty easy as a tankadin, we trivialise it completely and what gear setup you use is much of a muchness as long as you have over 400 spell damage and your fellow tanks choose their targets sensibly.
_________________

elson
Wed Apr 02, 2008 11:07 am
First time in MH was the other day and I started with a 802 block value set leaving me somewhat gimped on health/armor etc. It was horrible, I took almost no damage, fully blocking some attacks even, which made holding aggro difficult due to mana starvation. On top of that when I did get an abom or two on me the stun made me much more vunerable to burst damage then in my normal gear.

I switched to a gearset with about 450 block value and stacking the rest of my gear with stam/armor/spell damage. Ended up tanking 4-5 aboms on one wave and was fine due to ardent defender and some good heals.

Really don't think that high block value/low health is the way to go, at least on rage's trash. Not sure if other boss's trash hits harder but the block value set I had worked to hard to make ended up being a liability there.
_________________


Zeal without wisdom is folly
Worldie
Wed Apr 02, 2008 1:01 pm
High Block value + high armor stam is the way to go.

I run with 20k buffed HP and 993 block value, pure win :>
_________________

Seloei
Sat Apr 05, 2008 12:52 pm
Some here praise block value sets, some praise avoidance sets. Which ones better ><

Currently using a BV set (800-850'sh) pre trinkets but after reading the replies here... considering redoing it and swaping into the avoidance gear instead?

Quite often on a pull, i get 2-3 knockbacks in a row and die fast, so the locks soulstone me so i can recover/get agg back before they go rampant. Would a 52% avoidance set with 15.4k be better than a 13.5k and 800'sh block set for the first 3 "boss trash" waves?
Worldie
Sat Apr 05, 2008 12:53 pm
Actually, the one that suites you best.
_________________

Warheit
Mon Apr 07, 2008 3:09 pm
went in there the first time with 750 block value and around 500 spell dmg. 14.5k hp unbuffed, 5k mana unbuffed.

i was just oom all the time.

traded stats in, dusted off things like boots of hte protector.

traded off around 100 block value n 500 hp for more armor, higher mana pull, more block rating, and more spell damage, and i've been loving it ever since. with that change and no longer casting holy shield cept for the beginning once, my mana stays up alot better, and i'm still really easy to keep up.

looking forward to adding that new epic JC sta/int/spell dmg on use trinket.

it has a 2 min cooldown so its perfect for starting every pull on an even higher threat note.
_________________
Mekanikos
Tue Apr 08, 2008 1:07 pm
I just hit 20k hp buffed, and have ~576 BV. I'm going to assume that this is sufficient to tank trash in Hyjal. Now if I could convince the guild to go there. : /

The one time I did go there, we had ~10 people who were goofing off, so we started the event to see what happens... with only one healer. I decided to be the big bad tank and consecrate.

To my credit I stayed alive for ~20 seconds.
_________________
Lakirby
Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:02 am
It's fine - I run with less BV than you and really don't have any problems on Hyjal trash. Of course, vigorous Free Action Potion abuse on abomination waves helps, but I'm sure you knew that already.
_________________



<Shadows of Eternity> - Kilrogg EU - 4/5 MH 5/9 BT
Steg
Thu Apr 10, 2008 4:29 am
i tanked the first 2 sets of waves with 17k hp buffed and 220ish BV lol Razz

I only die if my healers aren't proactive healing though.. especially when those spiders decide to bolt me before getting in my Consec... -.-

Re-active healing FTL Razz

(Rage down and Anetheron at 13%)
_________________