Skip to content
Maintankadin

Trash - Prioritizing stats

Igrado
Mon Dec 24, 2007 5:48 am

Trash - Prioritizing stats

Yep. Looking for input here. Trying to jump from KZ drops to tanking MH trash.

is BV > HP? I modeled a set that stacked me over 750BV with Shield Spec, but less than 15kHP unbuffed. A MHtrash tank on my server said I should stack HP to 16/17k for eating knockbacks off the Aboms and that he only had ~450BV. Would appreciate some guidance here! Thanks.

http://wowdigger.com/character/view/42094/iqrado-dec5#o3
_________________
Worldie
Mon Dec 24, 2007 8:39 am
Basically you need as much block value+rating as possible for those trashs. They tend to hit for 1000-1500, so the more the better (it's not uncommon for me to have full blocks when i pop the trinket).

Having 18kish HP raidbuffed is fine.


For packs with abominations you should pop a Free Action Potion on the pull and then hope that in those 30 seconds the other tanks will get all the aboms off you.

For Azgalor waves i use my regular tanking set since actually there's very little aoetanking there.
For wave 6 i just use full SR gear and aoetank the casters Smile
_________________

Maranus
Tue Dec 25, 2007 5:06 pm
A more block-centric gear will work better for tanking ghouls, fiends, and stalkers... for the aboms, you're going to want more avoidance (for avoiding the knockbacks, duh!) and armor/hp (for when you do get knocked back, more effective health, the better).

So, basically, it's really a toss up, I, personally, only keep a single set of gear, which is uncrushable, and composed of the gear that is favorable for most cases... it hasn't let me down tanking copious amounts of Hyjal trash.
_________________

You know you want it! Ooorah /dance
Aplus
Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:23 am
I push around 18k hp (buffed) and ~450bv in hyjal. still the only thing i ever die to is abomination knockbacks, so do not give up too much health in favor of block value. you aren't blocking anything when you take a knockdown.
_________________
Mortehl
Thu Dec 27, 2007 9:54 am
Zul'alaman is your friend. We have certain advantages gearwise that the people who blazed our trail did not. If you can manage to get the shoulders, boots, and helm from ZA and combine it with the legs, and a few miscellaneous pickups from Karazhan and Tempest Keep, you're good to go. Big + is the heroic trinket and the trinket from the last boss in heroic Shattered Halls. Add in the heroic badge libram and you are a stone wall upon which the waves of hyjal trash will break upon. (how poetic)
_________________
I r can pull now plz?
Afraithe
Fri Dec 28, 2007 12:35 pm
Have your guild sponsor you with Free action potions, need about 7 or 8 of them for all the trash in MH, only use them on the tricky waves with lots of Abominations.
_________________
tackle
Thu Jan 10, 2008 7:14 am

Free action potions

Having other tanks pull aboms off you and high block value is best. Use a free action potion to give them enough time to get agro. I use 5-10 free action potions per night in MH. They make the trash much much easier. It also helps me to call out when it's going to wear off, healer's don't need a surprise and I do tend to have lower health as I'm stacking block value. I still only run around ~600 block value. If you stack it to high you will have mana issues unless you tank aboms and that opens you up to burst death pretty easily.
scph9002
Mon Jan 21, 2008 6:58 am
meh, just stack stamina and armor!

Bv for low hitting trash in hyjal is bad, not like they hit hard anyway and you be mana starving on the easy packs and you will be instagibbed on knockdowns if you focus on bv and have shitty armor/hp!


Bv = heylookatmeimsoloingprebcbosses stat imo =)
_________________
Sugarpuff 70 Paladin, talnivarr Eu
Afraithe
Mon Jan 21, 2008 7:49 am
Actually, I use a bit different gear on different trash waves, on the first 2 bosses, I can use high threat gear to just plow through them fast. I add more dodge and stamina later on to make it a bit easier for the healers.
_________________
Worldie
Thu Feb 07, 2008 1:50 pm
Indeed 1 stun is not going to kill you.

The stunlock however...
_________________

Jensaarai
Thu Feb 28, 2008 9:44 am
I prioritize...

stamina
armor
dodge
block rating
block value

I stick with a high EH set for Hyjal...20-21k+ buffed, 25%+ dodge, 20-22% block, 550ish block value. I tank everything in the waves, minus an abom or two, with no free action potions, so that's why I do this. Smile

The Auto-blocker is your friend here.
_________________
Dorvan
Thu Feb 28, 2008 12:12 pm
I've been meaning to post this for a while, but one thing that deserves mention for any Hyjal set:

2 shields.

If we wipe even once, my shield will be broken before Azgalor is down, even with no wipes I'm cutting it close. I remember the first time it happened I was so confused for a second or two when my HS button went grey and I suddenly started taking a lot more damage. I quickly switched to the only othe shield I had on me at the time for the last couple of waves and Doomguard tanking....the healing shield that drops from Kel'thuzad >.>
_________________