Skip to content
Maintankadin

Flames of Azzinoth

Lieris
Fri May 23, 2008 11:19 am
I joined a Sunwell guild this week and on my first try at flames tanking I did it perfectly! Very Happy Then the MT died on P3 transition, we re-grouped and we killed my flame again for the kill. The perfect way to stamp my authority as a tank in a new guild and the barrage of complements did me no end of good. Smile

Without all your posts and videos I don't if I could have done it so a big thank you to all who contributed.

... but the difficulty is totally overrated Razz
_________________
Skeezy
Sun May 25, 2008 12:16 pm
It's easy when you have no eye-beams, eye-beams can make things intresting, and having healers and dps in full T6 probably over-rode some mishaps?

Good job though, I'm still wiping on it so I have no room to talk, other tank can't seem to stay alive.

Distance macro is ftw also.
_________________
Lieris
Sun May 25, 2008 6:02 pm
I did get some eye beams both times, the change in positioning needed is very subtle so it's no cause to panic. Just adjust slightly then return to your kite path when they've gone by, the blue flames are not a big damage spike it's just harder to see when the flame breaths.

I don't think there were any mishaps to compensate for, it was very controlled Smile Being resist capped and crit immune means nothing other than eye beam can kill you really, everything else seems like steady (albeit relentless) damage that is easily healed.

Good luck with the kill, I wish I could have experienced it as a guild first kill but doing it so well so quickly makes it an easier pill for me to swallow.
_________________
Enkal
Tue May 27, 2008 12:38 am
Tried tanking flames the first time last night, took a few wipes to learn it but I think I got it covered after 5-6 wipes. We got illidan to 56% the last try of the night. I was so focused on moving that the first time I looked at my flames health (I tanked the 2nd to be killed) it was at 64% hehe

Made the alchemy trinket for it, helped alot with crit immune.

300 FR, 490 defense, 13.3k health unbuffed. About 20% dodge, 17% parry fully raid buffed.
_________________
Elthar
Tue May 27, 2008 5:51 am
What do you guys do before and after p2? I'm due to have my first night on these guys tonight and I guess the only thing we're good for in FR gear is going to be keeping up JoW with a 2h? Any other suggestions?

Also linked this pic in my guild forums:



And a visitor from a more progressed guild said that it shows the beams in the wrong place and that they cross over the warglaives... is he making it up or have things changed?
_________________
Enkal
Tue May 27, 2008 7:27 am
Yea the beams cross over the warglaives, got lazored last night because I thought I could move that way lol
_________________
Skeezy
Sat May 31, 2008 10:48 am
I was doing some research on this fight and according to WoWwiki:

Eye Blast: Illidan will sweep a fiery blue beam, emanating from his eyes, across the platform every 30 seconds. This deals around 19750-20250 fire damage on initial hit and spawns Demon Fire on the ground for 1 minute.
Demon fire: This is the blue fire trail left on ground by Eye Blast. It deals 2000 fire damage per second if you stand in it.

Blaze: The Flames will spawn a cloud of yellow flame on the ground under their current target, which deals 5000 fire damage (base) per second. Two different Blazes in the same location DO stack. This damage is mitigated by fire resistance

So does this mean that a blue flame by itself will actually do considerable less damage then a green? I always though it was the opposite.
_________________
Worldie
Sat May 31, 2008 10:57 am
Correct, blue flames do less damage than green ones.

Standing in blue = possible
Standing in green = WRONG
_________________