Skip to content
Maintankadin

1 Paladin, 2 Flames, Can it be done?

Afraithe
Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:19 am

1 Paladin, 2 Flames, Can it be done?

This thought have poped up in my head a few times, could it be possible to AOE tank the 2 Flames of Azzinoth? Their burst isn't enough to nuke 1 tank down, and if you only have 1 tank, you will have 4+ healers dedicated on you.

The tanking positioning would be different. Instead of pathing on the outside of the grate, you path 2 paths down the middle and back again. With the raid divided into 4 groups. They would have to avoid the beams I believe, might be possible to sqeeze them in between the beam path and the tanking path though, not sure.

Worldie
Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:37 am
I'm not sure that the consecration would be enough to keep the 2nd flame on you.
_________________

Afraithe
Thu Jan 31, 2008 6:42 am
Well, idea would be to start off tanking at the top of the path, with both misdirected to tank, put a skull up on one to DPS, since its tricky to build on both effectively.

I think the main problem might be getting ppl to avoid the beams if that is needed, dont want ppl to move to much into other groups, since the aoe nuke he does hurts quite a lot.
_________________
Lore
Thu Jan 31, 2008 7:01 am
Two issues that immediately spring to mind:

#1: Since there's players in basically every direction from where you're standing, it would be very hard to position even one flame to make sure they don't breathe on the raid - two would be next to impossible.

#2: Your kite rotation would have to be much faster than normal. Either that or you'd be standing in green fire 100% of the time and double green sometimes. That's a little over triple the damage you'd normally be taking.

EDIT: Also, I think you'd find the kiteable area much smaller than you expect, particularly at the corners.
_________________
The danger must be growing, for the rowers keep on rowing!
Mithos
Thu Jan 31, 2008 9:55 am
kiteable area would be far too small aye, else it could work Sad
_________________

Amran20
Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:54 am
What about the fact that if a Flame gets too far away from it's Twinblade it goes apeshit and poopaloops the raid? Unless in the middle it's at that *perfect* distance?
_________________


Dark Serenity's tankadin for life.
Splug
Thu Jan 31, 2008 10:59 am
Given that you'd have to move doubletime, I think you'd end up looping into the start of your path before the first round despawned. Also, if the other groups have to move to avoid eye blasts... where do they go? They can't just temporarily move and go back, that demonfire ticks for 2000 without FR.

It's an interesting concept though... I don't think it'd work in this case, but a cool "What if?" scenario.

-Splug
_________________
(Usually) Prot warrior: http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Illidan&n=Splug
Io.Draco
Thu Jan 31, 2008 2:05 pm
if anything doing this would realy silence ANY critics against prot palas

I think its doable , so gl Smile
_________________
fiorina
Thu Jan 31, 2008 8:01 pm
I thought about this as well, it's maybe doable, bit different way. But problem is too spiky damage, you can get barrage, you can get few AoE's on you, also aggro would be shitty for DPS to distinguish.
Possible maybe, but not easier.
_________________
Fiorina -retired-
Stephen Hawking of AV tanking
Afraithe
Fri Feb 01, 2008 12:54 am
Well, should only have to focus threat on 1 of the targets, and just judge the other a few times, this together with consecration should keep them both on you. Ill try to convince my guild to try this, would be a world-first Wink

And regarding spike damage, as long as I can keep out of enough flame patches, I think ill be alright, in all our tries/kills I've seen the offtanks get hit once or twice by barrage. I could bubble/cancelbubble to get it away (it stops right as you bubble), but that would be risky. Thing is, you will have 3 or 4 paladins constantly spaming you with heals, there isn't a lot of things 4 paladins can't keep up, unless they can one-shot me, and I don't think that is possible unless I make a mistake and stand in quadruple flame patches.
_________________
Eliane
Fri Feb 01, 2008 1:12 am
Make sure to fraps it if you get to try this Very Happy
_________________
Oramac
Fri Feb 01, 2008 8:52 am
dude, try this, fraps it and then be The Man for a while.

if i had better gear i'd ask to try this in my guild, but since we just did our first ever illidan pull yesterday, im not sure it'd be possible for me yet.
_________________
Gerilith
Fri Feb 01, 2008 9:07 am
I think the raid will have some problems to stay between Blazes and Eye Beams - very close to impossible.
_________________

Cauze blizzard begins to let healing suck.
Neuron
Mon Feb 04, 2008 6:33 am
neat idea,

but bad idea.
_________________
Eender
Mon Feb 04, 2008 5:46 pm
I, unfortunately, have to spec holy for everything except hyjal and our guild has a solo paladin on each flame tank with either a priest or druid running HoTs on them. So.. if you have 4 on you and you can't stay up then, give up right then and there. This strat is doable I think but very hard to perfect and get your raid used too. If you already have Illidan on farm there is no reason to put your guild through another learning encounter when it is easily done now with your current strat. Great idea tho, props.
_________________


____________________________________

Samsonite! Man, I was way off...