Skip to content
Maintankadin

Spell damage for BT

Baconator
Wed Apr 16, 2008 7:26 am

Spell damage for BT

Hey all sorry I couldnt find the post elsewhere as I am sure it is out there. I am currently tanking in BT and as we clear towards Council and my gear starts to catch up I am being considered for more main tankish roles on some fights. My question is with DPS geared with items up to Mother what kind of spell damage should I have?

Also I was wondering if most of you tank with a flask of blinding light or a flask of fortification.I am currently running mostly blinding light.. but I am using a contium blade in BT right now so that should show how crazy mt luck has been. Anyway look forward to hearing from you. BTW I got recruited from this site! GOGO maintankadin!
Stroja
Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:11 am
It depends on the situation, really.

I generally use elixirs for Naj'entus, Supremus, Akama, Gorefiend, because they're pretty much nose-picking fights. I generally only pop a single healing elixir on Naj, a fort for Supremus and Akama (I might pop a greater arcane or adept's for Akama), and I do Gorefiend on whatever was left after Akama. If we have a wipe and I'm doing my usual cleansebotting in DPS gear for Gorefiend, I use whatever elixir was the cheapest to acquire to pass the "ur not buffed!" check.

For Gurtogg and Reliquary I generally need more threat, so I pop a Blinding Light. I use Fort flask on Mother through Illidan.


/edit:
Kaisendou
Wed Apr 16, 2008 8:30 am
I tank in BT just fine with around 450 spell damage buffed.

For a few trash pulls I'll equip the spell damage shield out of BT and the spell damage trinket out of Heroic MgT and bump myself up to around 510.

Havent had any noticable threat issues.
_________________
Worldie
Wed Apr 16, 2008 5:18 pm
When we got to Kael and i still had Continuum blade, i was feeling bad having still a blue weapon, and i went AoEing Shattered Halls until i got Exhalted and got the Stormcaller.

S1 wasn't available with honor yet and i cba Arena, and most of all, i needed it "now", not in X weeks Smile


On topic, i usually tanked BT with 240-300 spelldamage unbuffed (except for RoS where i used spelldam trinket and 600+ spelldam unbuffed in our learning attempts), but now that DPS are starting to pull out proper numbers (2000+ DPS), i've basically been forced to get to 540 spelldam unbuffed.

Until you outgear, anywhere near 300 unbuffed is fine. You can Exorcism basically everything here so...
_________________

Tiandelin
Thu Apr 17, 2008 6:53 am
Cudgel of Consecration from heroic Magister's Terrace is also an easy option if you feel like trying your luck there.

As for me, I run at maybe 450 spell damage in BT, using flask of blinding light for Gurtogg and (once we get to phase 3) Reliquary. That's enough to keep things on me as long as everyone waits at least 0.00034 seconds after we engage to open up. (Sadly, this isn't always the case with our extremely trigger happy dps. We even had someone start AoE before the tank actually pulled once!)

And don't even get me started on Hyjal, where 800+ spell damage to consecrate isn't enough to save our destro locks...
_________________
Lakirby
Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:04 am
Just for the record - pretty much every tanking gear setup I have has over 400 unbuffed spelldmg. $deity bless T6 gloves.
_________________



<Shadows of Eternity> - Kilrogg EU - 5/5 MH 7/9 BT
Aleytys
Thu Apr 17, 2008 7:06 am
Yeah, I use 500 - 600 spelldamage on BT trash, as anything less and about half of my DPS will pull off me if they aren't paying close attention. We have a fairly strong DPS group. Very Happy
_________________
Maintankadin, <TSP> of Bonechewer US - 5/5 MH - 6/9 BT
Dorvan
Thu Apr 17, 2008 9:41 am
FWIW, my gear ranges from a minimum of 410 buffed (full stam gear/mitigation gear) up to about 710 buffed (crazy RoS threat gear with Flask of Blinding Light).
_________________
Knaughty
Thu Apr 17, 2008 4:53 pm
I run a bit more than Dorvan, because my DPS outgears me some. 700-ish, buffed, for Mount Hyjal 500-600 for BT. I use blinding light, wizard oil, spell-damage food for 90% of the content we do, because the default MT is the tauren warrior with 4/8 T-6 to my 1/8.

To hit these numbers I run two sets, one for threat, one for EH.

EG:
• My Praetorian's have Nethercleft and triple +15 stam gems, my badge legs (and T-5 legs) both have Runic Spellthread.
• Seeker's wristguards have +spelldamage, eternium shell bracers have +stam.

For fights where even this isn't enough threat (Gurtog) I get myself stuck in a caster group and ask for Wrath of Air.
_________________