Skip to content
Maintankadin

LGBT rights discussion

Skye1013
Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:07 pm

Re: LGBT rights discussion

Klaudandus wrote:http://www.slate.com/blogs/outward/2014/08/27/listen_to_judge_richard_posner_destroy_arguments_against_gay_marriage.html?wpsrc=fol_fb

That's beautiful.
Snake-Aes
Sat May 30, 2015 9:12 am

Re: LGBT rights discussion

I still don't understand what people have against gay couples. It's not your asshole that is on the line!
Era
Sat May 30, 2015 9:39 am

Re: LGBT rights discussion

Don't you think it's mostly some shade of the fear of the unknown? "I don't understand or can't identify with this and thus it discomforts me and I want it to stop" etc?

Spending most of my time in Japan these days, a country still not quite on board with the whole LGBT thing, I've noticed a few people being uncomfortable about the subject. But I've also noticed that it's definitely changing, and I'm seeing people slowly becoming more accepting, if not quite yet understanding. And that's an interesting process to witness.
Snake-Aes
Sat May 30, 2015 11:45 am

Re: LGBT rights discussion

It's always fear, I suppose, or indoctrination. People think it's wrong because people taught them it's wrong. That kind of stuff.
Skye1013
Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:31 am

Re: LGBT rights discussion

cnn.com wrote:In a landmark opinion, a divided Supreme Court ruled Friday that states cannot ban same-sex marriage, establishing a new civil right and handing gay rights advocates a victory that until very recently would have seemed unthinkable.
Era
Fri Jun 26, 2015 9:52 am

Re: LGBT rights discussion

Skye1013 wrote:
cnn.com wrote:In a landmark opinion, a divided Supreme Court ruled Friday that states cannot ban same-sex marriage, establishing a new civil right and handing gay rights advocates a victory that until very recently would have seemed unthinkable.


Congratulations America! Well done, Supreme Court.

"It would misunderstand these men and women to say they direspect the idea of marriage," Justice Kennedy said of the couples challenging state bans on same-sex marriage. "Their plea is that they do respect it, respect it so deeply that they seek to find its fulfillment for themselves. Their hope is not to be condemned to live in loneliness, excluded from civilization's oldest institutions. They ask for equal dignity in the eyes of the law. The Constitution grants them that right." (source)

Beautifully put, imo.
Snake-Aes
Fri Jun 26, 2015 10:02 am

Re: LGBT rights discussion

Good. As with just about everything regarding state to people, the less interventionism the better.
Nooska
Sat Jun 27, 2015 3:26 am

Re: LGBT rights discussion

Thats gonna hurt some places..

Absolutely the right ruling.
Io.Draco
Sat Jun 27, 2015 3:44 am

Re: LGBT rights discussion

Not surprising really. Pretty much expected.

Gotta say though I am quite annoyed by how much BS is coming from businesses after this decision. Facebook pride filter!
Era
Sat Jun 27, 2015 5:17 am

Re: LGBT rights discussion

Io.Draco wrote:Not surprising really. Pretty much expected.


Well, yeah I suppose. Any other ruling would've been pretty risky in the currently rather volatile US political climate, I think.

Also, damn it. Your avatar always makes me nostalgic about ME2. And reminds me I should play ME3. Magically I've remained unspoiled so far.
Torquemada
Sat Jun 27, 2015 7:50 am

Re: LGBT rights discussion

Just download the Mass Effect 3 Happy Ending Mod before you play it. It patches up and undoes a lot of the awful that is in the ME3 ending.
Era
Sat Jun 27, 2015 9:04 am

Re: LGBT rights discussion

Torquemada wrote:Just download the Mass Effect 3 Happy Ending Mod before you play it. It patches up and undoes a lot of the awful that is in the ME3 ending.


I heard there was a big fuss about the ending, so to be honest I'll probably play it clean first just to experience what people got upset about. Then redo it with the mod. :p
Torquemada
Sat Jun 27, 2015 6:52 pm

Re: LGBT rights discussion

It's really, really not worth it.
Nooska
Sun Jun 28, 2015 1:59 am

Re: LGBT rights discussion

The big fuss was people not undertsanding that ME3 WAS the ending (or being critical, the last half was the ending)
Klaudandus
Sun Jun 28, 2015 6:05 am

Re: LGBT rights discussion

more like promised choice and then having no choice at all.
Snake-Aes
Sun Jun 28, 2015 8:45 am

Re: LGBT rights discussion

Me3 is an amazingly fun ride all the way to the last 10-ish minutes of the game, and even that isn't as bad as people complain. It's mostly doom-hype and echo chamber. It falls short, but it's not terrible.