Skip to content
Maintankadin

How do you pronounce (Americans will fail)....

QuantumDelta
Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:07 pm

Re: How do you pronounce (Americans will fail)....

Isetnefret got closest it's basically like his phonetic but with an r on the end of the te.

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/c ... rshire.ogg
the 'ter' is kinda muted the way this guy says it but the local/original dialect pronounces it a lot more (I don't)

If you're Bristolian (especially if you're over the age of 25ish) the county gets mispronounced all sorts of ways because it hasn't been around for many years, used to be called Avon, but basically most people pronounce it the way you'd imagine the city above would pronounce it first time round, even though they're both wrong.

Glos-ter-sher it is.

Glos-ces-ter-shire is the most popular screw up ;p
Euphoria
Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:57 pm

Re: How do you pronounce (Americans will fail)....

To add to the confusion, here's a few more. All are towns in Oklahoma.


Chickasha

Eufaula

Oolagah

Miami

Gotebo

Slapout

Wewoka
Isetnefret
Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:04 pm

Re: How do you pronounce (Americans will fail)....

We have, in Missouri:

Cairo: KAY-roh

Versailles: ver-SALES

Kearney: CAR-nee
Dane
Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:20 pm

Re: How do you pronounce (Americans will fail)....

I can't believe Louisville hasn't been mentioned yet.
Fridmarr
Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:21 pm

Re: How do you pronounce (Americans will fail)....

Brett Favre spells his own name wrong, imo.
Dorvan
Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:23 pm

Re: How do you pronounce (Americans will fail)....

You know, I really think there may be something to the idea that we have odd pronunciations for place names for the express purpose of separating locals from out-of-towners.
Vanifae
Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:25 pm

Re: How do you pronounce (Americans will fail)....

Oklahoma has some of the worst pronunciations of cities/towns I have ever seen.

My favorite is Miami, OK.

Pronounced My-am-ma.
Fridmarr
Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:26 pm

Re: How do you pronounce (Americans will fail)....

Dorvan wrote:You know, I really think there may be something to the idea that we have odd pronunciations for place names for the express purpose of separating locals from out-of-towners.

Ironically, they are often cities with Native American names :D
Euphoria
Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:28 pm

Re: How do you pronounce (Americans will fail)....

Vanifae wrote:Oklahoma has some of the worst pronunciations of cities/towns I have ever seen.

My favorite is Miami, OK.

Pronounced My-am-ma.


Almost all of the towns I listed are based off of Native American pronounciations. Don't blame Oklahomans, blame the Native Americans. Hell, even the word "oklahoma" is a native american word.
Vanifae
Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:31 pm

Re: How do you pronounce (Americans will fail)....

I blame America for stealing the Red Man's land but keeping the Red Man's names.
Isetnefret
Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:36 pm

Re: How do you pronounce (Americans will fail)....

Image


Too bad I couldn't find it in Flo Rida colours.
Euphoria
Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:36 pm

Re: How do you pronounce (Americans will fail)....

Vanifae wrote:I blame America for stealing the Red Man's land but keeping the Red Man's names.



Blame America all you want...Just don't blame the people that live here. I haven't oppressed anybody or stolen shit.

Also, congratulations for pronouncing Miami correctly.
Fridmarr
Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:38 pm

Re: How do you pronounce (Americans will fail)....

Easy big fella...
Vanifae
Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:38 pm

Re: How do you pronounce (Americans will fail)....

I am as American as Jason Statham.
Isetnefret
Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:40 pm

Re: How do you pronounce (Americans will fail)....

Is Oklahoma a red state or a blue state? LOLZ!