Skip to content
Maintankadin

Ever been caught sleeping at work?

Dracora
Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:16 pm

Re: Ever been caught sleeping at work?

moduspwnens wrote:I suppose it's also possible that that douchebag you mentioned earlier (rat?) may have been the one to notice and went to your boss about it. That would be one reason a boss would get more upset than usual.

EDIT: Also, your poll lets people select both options. :)


I've never made a poll before >.< The rat = client. If the client saw me sleeping it'd be an instant term.

Garov wrote:So you're already in a heap of trouble for extending your break by 15 minutes. The next logical step is, of course, to go have shots of vodka


Not heaps of trouble. And no I was only drinking in case I was to be termed.

Garov wrote:You should be able to rationally explain/apologize about the 15 minutes.


Tried and failed.

Garov wrote:You should be able to rationally explain/apologize about the 15 minutes. No boss in the world is going to listen to an apology about going home to take 5 shots of vodka then coming back to work. Which begs the other question, did you have to drive home and back? Cuz she'll be so proud of her employee that not only extends their breaktime but also drives around drunk during the work day.


Lol. No one at work has any idea I'm drunk. And if I was and they found out, instant term.


Garov wrote:Do you want to get fired?


Muwahahaha, just because I'm playing roulett doesn't mean I have to lose. :twisted:

Anyway, it was just a final. I'm so happy.
Panzerdin
Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:19 pm

Re: Ever been caught sleeping at work?

May I put it to you that surviving a round of Russian Roulette doesn't make playing it a good idea?
Dracora
Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:20 pm

Re: Ever been caught sleeping at work?

Panzerdin wrote:May I put it to you that surviving a round of Russian Roulette doesn't make playing it a good idea?


You remind me of this movie with Morgan Freeman who plays Russian roulette with a student and loses. It had two bullets in a six shooter, too.
Belloc
Tue Apr 14, 2009 2:42 pm

Re: Ever been caught sleeping at work?

Seriously, get your shit together. If you're at risk for dozing off, get more sleep at home. Change your diet or something.

I understand that your work gets done and is likely of acceptable/good quality. I don't care if you spend half of your work day reading on the internet as long as the work gets done. Sleeping, however, looks bad. If you want to keep your job, don't look bad. If you get fired, learn from your mistakes. No one wants to hire someone that fucked over their company, even if their company fucked them over first.
Dracora
Tue Apr 14, 2009 3:29 pm

Re: Ever been caught sleeping at work?

Belloc wrote:Seriously, get your shit together. If you're at risk for dozing off, get more sleep at home. Change your diet or something.

I understand that your work gets done and is likely of acceptable/good quality. I don't care if you spend half of your work day reading on the internet as long as the work gets done. Sleeping, however, looks bad. If you want to keep your job, don't look bad. If you get fired, learn from your mistakes. No one wants to hire someone that fucked over their company, even if their company fucked them over first.


Yes boss.
djlar
Thu Apr 16, 2009 7:53 am

Re: Ever been caught sleeping at work?

Don't play so much WoW... period... LOL


Post-patch night I only slept 3 hours, since we can go out to eat, just hoped in my car, got out of the premises, parked someplace and slept the 30 mins I have assigned (set my cell phone alarm to wake me up).

If Japanese companies have nap places why we can't do that? napping 20-30 mins works wonders...
Elsie
Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:13 am

Re: Ever been caught sleeping at work?

I get back to see my boss sitting in my chair, then she was like "being gone for longer than 15min is stealing from the company!!" She doesn't take explainations so my attempt to tell her of my mistake didn't work out.

1. Your boss is a bitch.
2. Your boss doesn't have good communications skills which are centric to management.
3. Your boss was stealing from the company by wasting time waiting for you to get back, by her definition.

My wife found out at her last job she has mild narcolepsy. She was falling asleep every day at work for a little while. Unfortunately, Louisiana is an at-will state and they don't have to give you the reason for termination (nor is the legal process of finding out economically feasible, sadly).
If Japanese companies have nap places why we can't do that? napping 20-30 mins works wonders...

They have some of these in New York and possibly some other places. To the extend of my limited knowledge on the subject they are not terribly common anywhere, though.
Dracora
Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:22 am

Re: Ever been caught sleeping at work?

djlar wrote:Don't play so much WoW... period... LOL



You have a fantastic point right there. Bed time is usually around 12:00 to 12:30 am CST (Central Time), but sometimes I won't go to sleep till around 2am.

Oh well, even though Ann is a bitch I have to take responsibility and accept how she is.

As for the nap places in Japan, I can't really comment since I haven't looked into things like that, but I do get two 15min breaks and a 30min lunch, so if I am tired I'll use all but lunch to sleep. 15min feels like forever but not enough.
Elsie
Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:41 am

Re: Ever been caught sleeping at work?

15min feels like forever but not enough.

/envy
Dracora
Thu Apr 16, 2009 8:48 am

Re: Ever been caught sleeping at work?

Why?
Kitsuna
Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:03 am

Re: Ever been caught sleeping at work?

Elsie wrote:1. Your boss is a bitch.
2. Your boss doesn't have good communications skills which are centric to management.
3. Your boss was stealing from the company by wasting time waiting for you to get back, by her definition.


Are you honestly trying to make the boss the villain for calling out somebody sleeping on the job?

For some reason it reminds me of youth sports. "Don't worry Jimmy, you are the bestest player out there! All of the coaches are just out to get you!"

Given a good manager should listen, but then a good employee wouldn't give her cause to NEED to listen to such an explanation, right? (Generally speaking obviously.)

Speaking from personal experience, the best way to handle situations like this is to accept full responsibility and disclaim your own excuses. Were it me, I would have said something to the extent of

"You are absolutely right, that was inexcusable. And whatever reasons I have for it don't justify it. I am very sorry, it won't happen again and I accept full responsibility-if later you want me to explain more of exactly what happened I would be glad to do so."

The boss can berate you for the action, but not for shirking your personal responsibility. This really takes the steam out of the sails if you just admit fault. The point of the reprimand is to let you know you are wrong and can't do it again. If you state that up front they have no more fuel for the argument. At that point the conversation will turn to your excuses if she is up to hearing them, and if not you have given her the opportunity to gracefully return and get the information. Nothing is more frustrating that trying to get somebody clearly in the wrong to admit to it... and having them say nothing of the sort but instead offer excuses.

I obviously don't know how the conversation went, so you could well have handled it perfectly and she would not let you get a word in edge wise. But generally when called out, the first word people utter is "But!" and not "Sorry!" .
Fridmarr
Thu Apr 16, 2009 9:14 am

Re: Ever been caught sleeping at work?

Are you able to work an extra 30min at the end of the day? That way the argument that you were "stealing" becomes a lie, and when she uses it you can call her liar, then spit in her face, and set her hair on fire. :D

Seriously though, if you have shorted your employer some time, just stick around a bit longer to make up for it.
uke
Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:04 am

Re: Ever been caught sleeping at work?

The main two questions that are going through my head at this point are:

1. Why the heck are you falling asleep so much at work? That is NOT normal...at all.

2. Why the smurf do you think that drinking on the job is remotely close to an OK thing?

I echo the "get your sh*t together" comment. You got issues.

You can now reply "yes boss" if you like, it doesn't make it less true. I'd have a hard time being sympathetic if you do end up getting fired, as you're doing everything possible to warrant it.
Elsie
Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:46 am

Re: Ever been caught sleeping at work?

Are you honestly trying to make the boss the villain for calling out somebody sleeping on the job? For some reason it reminds me of youth sports. "Don't worry Jimmy, you are the bestest player out there! All of the coaches are just out to get you!" Given a good manager should listen, but then a good employee wouldn't give her cause to NEED to listen to such an explanation, right? (Generally speaking obviously.)

He made a mistake, but that doesn't excuse the manager's response. It reminds me of youth sports. "Damnit Jimmy you suck for missing that pass! Doesn't he suck team?" She berated him, with what most would consider a serious accusation, at his chair which, in his given line of work, is probably close enough to in front of everyone. Her attitude does nothing but contribute to the problem. It leads to reinforcing the idea of not getting caught instead of working towards a solution or encouraging a desire to improve.

Yes, he made a mistake and fell asleep an extra 15min. He accepted responsibility and attempted to give an explanation of how the events occurred so the manager would have a better understanding of the situation. Mistakes are human nature. Knowing the problem and its cause can help create a remedy such as working an extra 15min that day or another day. It's not about justification, and your quote sounds like a little too much like groveling when I sound it out in my head.

Though I'm not against drinking during work hours like a shot of schnapps or a beer at lunch (not uncommon in the world, just parts like the US) I'm also with the group saying "wtf." At a call center that does product support I'd imagine I'd have to drink twice that, though.

Note I'm not defending the OP's work conduct, just blasting the manager.
Panzerdin
Thu Apr 16, 2009 11:56 am

Re: Ever been caught sleeping at work?

Elsie wrote:Note I'm not defending the OP's work conduct, just blasting the manager.


Maintankadin's public-spirited attitude at its finest.
Dracora
Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:01 pm

Re: Ever been caught sleeping at work?

uke wrote: The main two questions that are going through my head at this point are:
1. Why the heck are you falling asleep so much at work? That is NOT normal...at all.


Repetitious work gets insanely boring. And the normal part, lol, I'm not even remotely close to being within your version or a common version of normal. Thankfully I discovered this site and it's helped to keep me active and I really enjoy everyone here, even if I don't agree with them or they don't agree with me.

uke wrote:2. Why the smurf do you think that drinking on the job is remotely close to an OK thing?


If you think that's bad, when I did chronic I used to come to work stoned. I laughed IRL when you used smurf. Made me think of some old paradoies I've seen of smurf cartoons.

uke wrote: I echo the "get your sh*t together" comment. You got issues.


Lol. I couldn't agree more.

uke wrote: You can now reply "yes boss" if you like, it doesn't make it less true. I'd have a hard time being sympathetic if you do end up getting fired, as you're doing everything possible to warrant it.


I didn't intend for this to be a sympathy deal or for it to be so involved. If I wanted your sympathy I would have told you about my grandparents dying, my cousin is most likely going to die before the age of 20, or other things.

Panzerdin wrote:
Elsie wrote:Note I'm not defending the OP's work conduct, just blasting the manager.


Maintankadin's public-spirited attitude at its finest.


You have to at least admit that this is entertaining.
uke
Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:16 pm

Re: Ever been caught sleeping at work?

Dracora wrote:
uke wrote:2. Why the smurf do you think that drinking on the job is remotely close to an OK thing?


If you think that's bad, when I did chronic I used to come to work stoned. I laughed IRL when you used smurf. Made me think of some old paradoies I've seen of smurf cartoons.



Ironically, I think I picked up the "smurf" thing from www.ls2gto.com, another site I frequent, where "smurf" is the de-facto substitution for f---, which is censored out. No idea how that came about :P
Dracora
Thu Apr 16, 2009 12:35 pm

Re: Ever been caught sleeping at work?

uke wrote:
Dracora wrote:
uke wrote:2. Why the smurf do you think that drinking on the job is remotely close to an OK thing?


If you think that's bad, when I did chronic I used to come to work stoned. I laughed IRL when you used smurf. Made me think of some old paradoies I've seen of smurf cartoons.



Ironically, I think I picked up the "smurf" thing from http://www.ls2gto.com, another site I frequent, where "smurf" is the de-facto substitution for f---, which is censored out. No idea how that came about :P


Maybe we're all old and grew up on the smurfs. They used "smurf" whenever something bad was going on in the cartoons or am I making that up?
Signum
Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:07 pm

Re: Ever been caught sleeping at work?

Back when I first started working at my job, my boss came over to my coworker and told him that if he was going to fall asleep at work, at least do it where our clients can't see. Another coworker fell asleep in his office; he didn't get caught by management, but his cubicle neighbors spread powdered sugar from powdered doughnuts all over his face.

I haven't fallen asleep at work, but I did get yelled at once for playing Minesweeper.
Panzerdin
Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:13 pm

Re: Ever been caught sleeping at work?

Could be worse, it could have been Solitaire. That takes so long... So very long...
Dracora
Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:18 pm

Re: Ever been caught sleeping at work?

Signum wrote:Back when I first started working at my job, my boss came over to my coworker and told him that if he was going to fall asleep at work, at least do it where our clients can't see. Another coworker fell asleep in his office; he didn't get caught by management, but his cubicle neighbors spread powdered sugar from powdered doughnuts all over his face.


Lol, that's so awesome.

Signum wrote:I haven't fallen asleep at work, but I did get yelled at once for playing Minesweeper.


I can't believe I haven't been caught surfing non-client related sites, yet.
YoYoMa
Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:35 pm

Re: Ever been caught sleeping at work?

uke wrote:Ironically, I think I picked up the "smurf" thing from http://www.ls2gto.com, another site I frequent, where "smurf" is the de-facto substitution for f---, which is censored out. No idea how that came about :P
This makes me extremely sad (and old I guess) :(
Rachmaninoff
Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:42 pm

Re: Ever been caught sleeping at work?

Dracora wrote:Maybe we're all old and grew up on the smurfs. They used "smurf" whenever something bad was going on in the cartoons or am I making that up?


I think they did. I can imagine brainy saying something like that.
YoYoMa
Thu Apr 16, 2009 1:49 pm

Re: Ever been caught sleeping at work?

They "smurfed" everything. Not just bad stuff

Oh wow, you got a new job? That's just smurfy!
Let's go smurf some smurfberries
Ouch! That smurfs!
You look smufy in that new outfit.
Ever been caught smufing at work?

The best part is you can put your own meaning in there for smurf
Kitsuna
Thu Apr 16, 2009 2:06 pm

Re: Ever been caught sleeping at work?

Elsie wrote:
Yes, he made a mistake and fell asleep an extra 15min. He accepted responsibility and attempted to give an explanation of how the events occurred so the manager would have a better understanding of the situation. Mistakes are human nature. Knowing the problem and its cause can help create a remedy such as working an extra 15min that day or another day. It's not about justification, and your quote sounds like a little too much like groveling when I sound it out in my head.


Note I'm not defending the OP's work conduct, just blasting the manager.


I think we are basically on the same page then, though I would not consider the quote I gave groveling. A lot of that though is probably the context we imagine in our head and how it is delivered. In my head it isn't so much a head bowed in shame and pleading as much as an open handed gesture and a statement of fact.