Skip to content
Maintankadin

Mozilla, IE8, Google Chrome -- Need advice.

QuantumDelta
Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:14 pm

Re: Mozilla, IE8, Google Chrome -- Need advice.

Invisusira wrote:Chrome all the way. The Mac version isn't complete yet, but I can't wait until it is. FF is just so ridiculously slow. FF has become a massive bloat on my system, it sometimes renders WoW unplayable and has to be force-quit'd just to get it to go away.

Are you sure this isn't an addon problem?
I'm pretty sure my browsing habits would be considered 'extreme' (+50 tabs right now and this is 'quiet', a fair few of those tabs are pre-loading videos, or long papers), and I very rarely have this problem, normally only when I've left the browser open for over a month with a hundred or more tabs.
The only time FF is annoying as hell is if I ever try to open a PDF with the PDF reader addon (cuz I cba to download/open all PDFs).
All I'm running is the PDF thing, ABP, Cooliris, Anycolour, British dictionary and the .NET 1.1 ClickOnce thingy. I have a couple others installed but not running unless I need them (once in a blue moon, Fire FTP/No script).
Invisusira
Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:29 pm

Re: Mozilla, IE8, Google Chrome -- Need advice.

The only addon I use is FireFTP.
I did just install 3.5 and it feels faster, so we'll see.
Pizbit
Sat Jul 11, 2009 4:36 pm

Re: Mozilla, IE8, Google Chrome -- Need advice.

Invisusira wrote:The only addon I use is FireFTP.
I did just install 3.5 and it feels faster, so we'll see.


Yar was gonna say give 3.5 a shot.
Now I'll say nomnomnom.
Cakes
Sun Jul 12, 2009 4:09 am

Re: Mozilla, IE8, Google Chrome -- Need advice.

Gamingdevil wrote:I have one tab open right now and I have 2 processes running, one at 20MB, the other at 25MB

Just opened 4 other tabs and only one new process came up. I appreciate the info, but it doesn't seem to be quite right.


I thought the same thing, but actually open a page (www.google.com will suffice) in each new tab, and then look at your process stack. If you then switch between the tabs, you should see memory usage change as well, with one of the "chrome.exe"s remaining fairly stationary in terms of memory usage.

A Handy Web Comic by Google to Explain
Arnock
Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:03 am

Re: Mozilla, IE8, Google Chrome -- Need advice.

I'd like to try out a few more, but I like the security that noscript gives me, so, I'm probably gonna be sticking with FF
Fivelives
Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:41 pm

Re: Mozilla, IE8, Google Chrome -- Need advice.

I <3 Opera.
Aubade
Sun Jul 12, 2009 11:09 pm

Re: Mozilla, IE8, Google Chrome -- Need advice.

Mozilla FTW
Gamingdevil
Mon Jul 13, 2009 2:12 am

Re: Mozilla, IE8, Google Chrome -- Need advice.

Cakes wrote:
Gamingdevil wrote:I have one tab open right now and I have 2 processes running, one at 20MB, the other at 25MB

Just opened 4 other tabs and only one new process came up. I appreciate the info, but it doesn't seem to be quite right.


I thought the same thing, but actually open a page (http://www.google.com will suffice) in each new tab, and then look at your process stack. If you then switch between the tabs, you should see memory usage change as well, with one of the "chrome.exe"s remaining fairly stationary in terms of memory usage.

A Handy Web Comic by Google to Explain


Thanks that helped. So I'm assuming the extra process I have (got one more than I have tabs open) is an addon or something?
VikrumthePally
Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:30 am

Re: Mozilla, IE8, Google Chrome -- Need advice.

When I created the poll I was at the office. I was asking because I had recently reformatted my computer at my house and was seeing which to put on the new setup.

With that being said...

Since creating the poll I have been using the new setup extensively. Can't believe I am going to say this but after using Chrome for the last several days (mostly over this past weekend) coming up here to the office and using FF is quite the letdown.

Chrome has not crashed once, handles many tabs open with ease, as others have said low resources. It's just amazingly fast. It's really hard to believe one browser can be so much faster than another.

I will still give the edge to the new IE in terms of raw speed. But what good is that when your rig gets loaded with crap.

So far the only complaint is still a few sites I visit in Chrome seem to load very strangely.

Thanks for all the input.
Isetnefret
Mon Jul 13, 2009 7:43 am

Re: Mozilla, IE8, Google Chrome -- Need advice.

A word of caution...Chrome masks its actual system resource use by spreading it across multiple simultaneous processes.

I'm not saying that is uses more than any other browser, but just that it can seem deceptively low at first glance.
Cakes
Tue Jul 14, 2009 3:18 pm

Re: Mozilla, IE8, Google Chrome -- Need advice.

Gamingdevil wrote:
Cakes wrote:
Gamingdevil wrote:I have one tab open right now and I have 2 processes running, one at 20MB, the other at 25MB

Just opened 4 other tabs and only one new process came up. I appreciate the info, but it doesn't seem to be quite right.


I thought the same thing, but actually open a page (http://www.google.com will suffice) in each new tab, and then look at your process stack. If you then switch between the tabs, you should see memory usage change as well, with one of the "chrome.exe"s remaining fairly stationary in terms of memory usage.

A Handy Web Comic by Google to Explain


Thanks that helped. So I'm assuming the extra process I have (got one more than I have tabs open) is an addon or something?


This is just a guess, but I'm guessing that chrome has at least 2 processes going at all times. The first one I'm guessing is for the execution of the main program AND a thread handler for creating new processes and closing old ones. Each subsequent tab (including the first one that's open when chrome is started) creates its own process, so that results in having TABNUMBER + 1 processes. I'm not positive this is how it works, but that's how I'd design it.