Skip to content
Maintankadin

Relationships

Passionario
Sat Mar 28, 2015 2:38 pm

Re: Relationships

Era wrote:Any nearby Maintankadins willing to be a ... Mainbro..adin? Ugh that was terrible.

I believe the term is "offtank".
Era
Sat Mar 28, 2015 4:48 pm

Re: Relationships

Passionario wrote:
Era wrote:Any nearby Maintankadins willing to be a ... Mainbro..adin? Ugh that was terrible.

I believe the term is "offtank".


Ooooo, well played good sir! Nice.
Arnock
Mon Mar 30, 2015 6:49 pm

Re: Relationships

*Shrug* nothing to report in Arnock-land. Too busy trying to juggle school and a full time job to put myself out there, and the last girl I was starting to fall for moved away shortly after we met.

I thought the feeling might have been mutual, but our last conversation felts a bit... forced. I figure whatever flame may have been there has since died out.
Njall
Tue Mar 31, 2015 5:33 am

Re: Relationships

Wife. Kids. Mortgage. Commute. Taxes. The American dream, they say.
katraya
Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:06 am

Re: Relationships

Being happily married makes for boring posts. It's a good problem to have. ;)
Njall
Tue Mar 31, 2015 6:43 am

Re: Relationships

katraya wrote:Being happily married makes for boring posts. It's a good problem to have. ;)


Every time I see your smiling .sig, I am forced to go watch that montage of Skeletor and the skeletons from Jason and the Argonauts dancing to "YMCA".

...damn you! :o
katraya
Tue Mar 31, 2015 7:31 am

Re: Relationships

Njall wrote:
katraya wrote:Being happily married makes for boring posts. It's a good problem to have. ;)


Every time I see your smiling .sig, I am forced to go watch that montage of Skeletor and the skeletons from Jason and the Argonauts dancing to "YMCA".

...damn you! :o



That's one of my favorite videos of all time. Years ago my friend's toddler got hooked on it and would ask to watch the "silly bones that talk funny." :lol:
KysenMurrin
Tue Mar 31, 2015 1:58 pm

Re: Relationships

Era wrote:His sig always reminds me of this one:
https://youtu.be/ZZ5LpwO-An4

EDIT: My favourite bit is the kitchen bit.


Mine is Skeletor's "Myah!"
Njall
Fri Apr 03, 2015 11:07 am

Re: Relationships

I have begun the second phase of constructing a downstairs bathroom, making me The Best Husband Evar.
Era
Fri Apr 03, 2015 2:28 pm

Re: Relationships

Out of curiosity, how many phases are there? I am neither a homeowner nor husband yet, but seems like useful tactical information for The Future. Maybe do a video guide!
Njall
Mon Apr 06, 2015 1:05 pm

Re: Relationships

Era wrote:Out of curiosity, how many phases are there? I am neither a homeowner nor husband yet, but seems like useful tactical information for The Future. Maybe do a video guide!


Too, too many.

But we just got the framing in. Need to get the permits, jackhammering the slab, the plumber, the electrical (including vent/fan), flooring, drywall, decorating, fixtures, pooping. The shower will be... later.
Arnock
Mon Apr 06, 2015 6:36 pm

Re: Relationships

I now have a garage full of broken bikes.

Maybe it's time to start considering four-wheeled transportation.
Era
Tue Apr 07, 2015 9:09 am

Re: Relationships

I'm not much of a sharing person, but here's my tiny ACTUAL on-topic contribution to the relationship thread:
Being in an intercultural relationship (Norwegian/Japanese) with a 19 year old girl (I'm 26) sure can be challenging from time to time!
Snake-Aes
Tue Apr 07, 2015 12:55 pm

Re: Relationships

It can. I imagine the language barrier is an actual barrier as well.
Era
Tue Apr 07, 2015 5:15 pm

Re: Relationships

Yeah. Her English is fairly good, but there's a fair amount of miscommunications. Some small, some not so small.
I'm working on my Japanese, but I'm pretty busy as it is, so learning a new language on top of that takes its toll.
Snake-Aes
Wed Apr 08, 2015 3:03 am

Re: Relationships

One thing that always comes up and surprises me is people's parents.
Mine are pretty chill. After age 15 or so they realized Sis and I are not the types to do stupid shit, so the only "leash" we ever have is "do tell if you're arriving late". Our day to day relations are simple, straightforward and chock-full of lulz.

And then...everyone else's aren't. Girlfriend, boyfriend, friend, enemy, coworker, co student, straight, gay, young, old, stupid, smart. They all fight on a near daily basis, or have mental breakdowns because their parents openly disapprove of their life choices and make them feel like shit for it.

I don't know how to handle this :x
Era
Wed Apr 08, 2015 5:46 am

Re: Relationships

As someone blessed with equally chill parents, I understand what you mean. My ex's family was a mess. That being said, it's a bit of a luxury problem though, isn't it? It's not exactly like you choose your own family, so only having to worry about other people's families is indeed a bit of a blessing I imagine.

Formalities and niceties out of the way, it can be really awkward/frustrating when the family of someone you care about is causing them trouble or making them feel depressed. Families are supposed to be the strong support you know will always be there for you, to give you a fundamental sense of security. But you can't exactly tell your friend that their family is a bunch of bastards (unless they openly agree, I guess). I remember when I was a kid, me and my friends often preferred spending time at my place, because everyone knew my parents were cool.

I'm happy to report that my current girlfriend's family seems good, although since they live a 5-6 hours drive away from Osaka (where we live), I haven't had the chance to meet them that often. Did spend the new year holidays there though, which was really nice. Keep in mind that I don't speak much Japanese, so I was lost for 90% of the conversations - maybe they just seem nice because I don't understand them! :roll:
Ironshield
Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:05 am

Re: Relationships

Era wrote:... - maybe they just seem nice because I don't understand them! :roll:

Or they only know polite English words so they couldn't be rude to you?
Snake-Aes
Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:46 am

Re: Relationships

Era wrote:As someone blessed with equally chill parents, I understand what you mean. My ex's family was a mess. That being said, it's a bit of a luxury problem though, isn't it? It's not exactly like you choose your own family, so only having to worry about other people's families is indeed a bit of a blessing I imagine.
I agree it's a luxury, but it's still a real enough problem. No one wants to see your close ones miserable, and I'm not a fairweather friend.
Oh well.
Era
Wed Apr 08, 2015 9:50 am

Re: Relationships

Ironshield wrote:Or they only know polite English words so they couldn't be rude to you?


You greatly overestimate the English capabilities of the average grown up Japanese person. Her dad knows about two words: "Beautiful" and "Delicious", and he regularly mix them up. His wife was hanging delicious christmas curtains and making beautiful oden. Now, I will concur that food can indeed be beautiful, but there's nothing beautiful about oden. It's delicious if done correctly and with the right sides, but it's just a pot full of brown stuff.

Image
Njall
Wed Apr 08, 2015 12:55 pm

Re: Relationships

Belfs are, apparently, both. I should probably stop visiting Annie Greenteeth down at the Faire.
Amirya
Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:01 pm

Re: Relationships

Era wrote:You greatly overestimate the English capabilities of the average grown up Japanese person. Her dad knows about two words: "Beautiful" and "Delicious", and he regularly mix them up. His wife was hanging delicious christmas curtains and making beautiful oden. Now, I will concur that food can indeed be beautiful, but there's nothing beautiful about oden. It's delicious if done correctly and with the right sides, but it's just a pot full of brown stuff.

Image

Are you kidding me? That looks so beautiful AND delicious.

Of course, it could be that I'm half Japanese and that's my comfort food, and I will eat that stuff ALLLLL day.
Njall
Thu Apr 09, 2015 1:12 pm

Re: Relationships

I miss living in a part of the world that has variety in its availble cuisine. Would kill for some kitsune udon right about now.
Era
Thu Apr 09, 2015 4:57 pm

Re: Relationships

Know how you feel. I'm temporarily back in Norway now, though after the plan only until the end of May, and wow do I miss Japanese cuisine. Especially some extra spicy curry udon from this nice little local place.

As for the oden, I will concede that it probably looks beautiful if that's your comfort food. I like oden, but as comfort food, I'm still forced to admit I'd prefer a greasy double cheese pepperoni pizza.