Gracerath wrote:I finally tracked down curry powder (which is a slightly different blend than the garam masala I picked up) and I'll have to figure out something to use that with. I think I could be lazy and mix some into yogurt as a marinade for chicken and it would be pretty tasty grilled.
Coriander
Cumin
Cloves
Green Cardamom
Turmeric
Cinnamon
= Garam Masala

Chicken Curry with coconut milk:
Roast Whole Star Anise, Cloves, Cinnamon stick, Black Pepper corns, Green Cardamoms (split with the side of a knife) in a large frying pan for a minute or two
Add 2-3 onions (finely sliced - they'll dissolve), 2 garlic cloves (crushed), 1 inch fresh ginger (finely chopped) and fry until the onions are soft and starting to caramelize.
Take a little butter and melt it. mix in ground cumin, ground coriander, ground turmeric, salt and crushed chillies and mix until it is a thick paste (this is where that curry powder can be used). Add paste to the pan and fry for a couple of minutes.
Take 4-5 chicken legs, prick them all over, and then place them in the pan. Brown the chicken on both sides then, with the skin up, add a little hot water. Cover, and leave to simmer for an hour or so.
20 minutes before serving add a tin of coconut milk (400ml) and two table spoons of tomato puree/tomato paste (the stuff that is really thick and comes in a tube). Stir vigorously and cover again. Put some rice on to cook.
After ten minutes, take the lid off the curry to reduce the gravy.
Beer is a good drink to go with it, the bitterness complements the curry very well.
It'd go great with my barbecue sauce:
Try adding some Tamarind pulp to that. Adds a nice sweet and spicy citrus flavour without the acidity of lemons or oranges.