Isetnefret wrote:If you believe this:
LIMITING CHOICE of (preivously) free peoples by their government is not a noble act. Educating, informing, inspiring free peoples to make a choice of their own will IS a noble act.
Then this:
So perhaps the Federal Gov't here needs to stop wasting money on drug enforcement and simply tell people that drugs r bad mmmkay?
Then let them make their own choice.
..sounds entirely logical.
Except that saying this argument is logical tells me something about your values. Now, if you're being sarcastic, I obviously can't read pure emotion into an otherwise serious statement. Saying a government should do something doesn't mean I think it's a "noble" act. Necessary =/= noble. Crime enforcement/basic defense/basic services = necessary evils. Removing government intrusion in any of those cases would make people more free, but less secure. Regulating bottled water does very very little to secure a society, and does much to oppress it. Thus I find it wrong. On the flip side, regulating illegal drugs does very much to secure a society, so while still an infringement on personal freedom, it's a necessary one.
But by skipping over noble and necessary, and missing those points, I can make assumptions about your values base, since I've seen your thinking process.
However, you assumed that I agreed with that, while completely ignoring:
my actual views wrote:The more important point is, the government doesn't just arbitrarily make laws with no recourse by citizens.
If we don't want a bottled water ban, it WON'T stand.
If we didn't want drugs to be illegal, they wouldn't be.
All the while making assumptions about what I believe and what my values are.
An out of control government most definitely will make laws with no (immediate or effective) recourse by the citizens. And to deter them from personally educating or becoming involved in the process, the same will tell the people that the changes are in their best interest, and not to worry. A benevolent dictator (regime) is one of the most dangerous ones to personal freedom.