Skip to content
Maintankadin

New Anime Season

Snake-Aes
Mon Jan 27, 2014 8:54 pm

Re: New Anime Season

Sabindeus wrote:Kill La Kill is amazing. Studio Trigger can have all my babies. <3
All the yes.


Witch craft works's anime started recently, but I didn't like it. The manga is entertaining, even though nothing close to the hits this season...but the anime failed to interest me. Except for the deranged ending animation.


After one of the cuts the anime adaptation did to Aoki Hagane no Arpeggio:Ars Nova 's manga, I haven't had the heart to watch the last couple episodes. The whole thing is pretty good though.
Sabindeus
Tue Jan 28, 2014 11:02 am

Re: New Anime Season

So I've been a big fan of the Nisekoi manga for quite a while now, but it definitely falls into a lot of standard buckets - it's a popular, mainstream, Shonen Jump romantic comedy.

The anime is being done by Shaft and Akiyuki Shinbo.

***MIND FUCK***
Snake-Aes
Fri Feb 07, 2014 8:10 pm

Re: New Anime Season

Snake-Aes wrote:
Sabindeus wrote:Kill La Kill is amazing. Studio Trigger can have all my babies. <3
All the yes.
So. Uhm. Episode 17.
I feel if I go sleep I'll develop a second personality just to process what happened, and only later next week it'll merge back and I'll be able to pick up my jaw.
Sabindeus
Sun Feb 16, 2014 11:23 pm

Re: New Anime Season

Snake-Aes wrote:
Snake-Aes wrote:
Sabindeus wrote:Kill La Kill is amazing. Studio Trigger can have all my babies. <3
All the yes.
So. Uhm. Episode 17.
I feel if I go sleep I'll develop a second personality just to process what happened, and only later next week it'll merge back and I'll be able to pick up my jaw.


AND THEN MORE SHIT HAPPENED.
Snake-Aes
Mon Feb 17, 2014 3:58 am

Re: New Anime Season

Oh yeah.
Sagara
Sat Mar 08, 2014 2:14 am

Re: New Anime Season

Klaudandus wrote:I think only Sagara will care about this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nCH7N9R5yc


I KNOW I'm old school, stop rubbing it dammit! :lol:
Funny, wife show me that one just yesterday.
Interesting re-design, but nothing important in the grand scheme.
Klaudandus
Sat Mar 08, 2014 6:03 am

Re: New Anime Season

Sagara wrote:
Klaudandus wrote:I think only Sagara will care about this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nCH7N9R5yc


I KNOW I'm old school, stop rubbing it dammit! :lol:
Funny, wife show me that one just yesterday.
Interesting re-design, but nothing important in the grand scheme.


Well, you're the only person in this board with a passing interest on Saint Seiya. XD
Snake-Aes
Sat Mar 08, 2014 7:00 am

Re: New Anime Season

Klaudandus wrote:
Sagara wrote:
Klaudandus wrote:I think only Sagara will care about this
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1nCH7N9R5yc
I KNOW I'm old school, stop rubbing it dammit! :lol:
Funny, wife show me that one just yesterday.
Interesting re-design, but nothing important in the grand scheme.
Well, you're the only person in this board with a passing interest on Saint Seiya. XD
If it helps, just about everyone I talk to regularly is interested in that too, so I'll pass it along.
Klaudandus
Sat Mar 08, 2014 10:38 am

Re: New Anime Season

I think we're the only ones that lived in a market that aired Saint Seiya shortly after its release in Japan back in the day. By the time it actually arrived to the US, it seemed outdated and the heavy censorship didn't help.
Sagara
Sat Mar 08, 2014 12:17 pm

Re: New Anime Season

Out of curiosity, what did trigger the rise of anime on your side of the pond? If I'm not mistaken it started really late (late 90's?) when compared to markets like France (starting in the early 80's, with the real kick-start in the late 80's).

Then again, it doesn't seem like anime got the same flak it got when it started in France. God, some articles I read when I was a teenager. Then again, some dumbass DID manage to get City Hunter and FREAKING Fist of the North Star on a *kid's show*...
Klaudandus
Sat Mar 08, 2014 1:42 pm

Re: New Anime Season

To be honest? i'm not sure... I had access to mexican tv growing up, so my exposure to anime was much earlier than most people in the US. I remember watching Saint Seiya, Tetsujin 28, Mazinger Z, Dragon Ball Z, Magic Knight Rayearth and even the anime version of the Transformers before any of them were ever shown in the US. I'm talking mid/late 80s/early 90s.

Latin-America, back in the day, would show anime a lot in the afternoons. Heck, I don't remember ever seeing Saber Marionette J ever on any american channel, but would air at 3:30 on Animax.

So Anime was natural for me growing up.
Arjuna
Tue Mar 11, 2014 4:22 am

Re: New Anime Season

Hmm, for us up here in the north of the world it took aaaaages for anime to get in. I only remember watching anime on foreign channels...and since I didn't understand english at that time, it was really wierd but awesome...

Aaah, Blue Noah, you rocked!
Skye1013
Tue Mar 18, 2014 11:45 am

Re: New Anime Season

Cartoon Network was probably my first exposure to anime(DBZ)... either that or the WB (Sailor Moon).

Looking into it... it appears anime has been a thing in the US since the 1960s with Astro Boy, Gigantor, Speed Racer, Kimba and a few others having nationwide syndication. Source

The conventions and whatnot weren't major until the 90s, but they still had gatherings as early as the 70s (more like anime clubs than conventions).

Anywho, that link above was an interesting read (though I stopped about half-way through part 3).
fuzzygeek
Tue Mar 18, 2014 4:58 pm

Re: New Anime Season

I remember watching "Star Blazers" when I was a kid; it must have been late 70s.

Hmm. Wikipedia has a domestic broadcast date of 1979, so that'd be it. I remember being amazed that characters actually *died*.

The new reboot was a fun nostalgia trip.
Fivelives
Wed Mar 19, 2014 7:14 am

Re: New Anime Season

I remember Robotech (Macross) and Voltron (Beast King Golion) being pretty big, and watching them as part of my Saturday Morning Cartoon Regimen (SMCR), as well as my After School Cartoon Consumption (ASCC).
Sabindeus
Sat Mar 22, 2014 5:50 pm

Re: New Anime Season

DBZ and Sailor Moon early morning syndication -> Ranma 1/2, Slayers, Kenshin, Eva -> everything else
Snake-Aes
Sun Mar 23, 2014 9:10 am

Re: New Anime Season

Sagara wrote:Out of curiosity, what did trigger the rise of anime on your side of the pond? If I'm not mistaken it started really late (late 90's?) when compared to markets like France (starting in the early 80's, with the real kick-start in the late 80's).

Then again, it doesn't seem like anime got the same flak it got when it started in France. God, some articles I read when I was a teenager. Then again, some dumbass DID manage to get City Hunter and FREAKING Fist of the North Star on a *kid's show*...

Here it hasn't really risen.
Saint Seya, Dragon Ball (not Z, dammit) and Yu Yu Hakusho were a blast at their time, but the channels lost interest. These days only the reaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaally big hits like naruto get any screen time, and there is little interest from any company to license these things here.
So we steal. It's a glorious display of bizarreness when just about everyone from 12 to 40 seems to know tons of anime and none of them officially exist here, and no one considers licensing them.

The manga market, in comparison, is actually bustling. Still small in comparison to us and jp, but you'll find just about any manga here officially if you look close enough.
Fivelives
Tue Mar 25, 2014 12:44 pm

Re: New Anime Season

I remember Fist of the North Star growing up. It was on late night USA Network, along with Space Ghost.
Sagara
Wed Mar 26, 2014 4:10 am

Re: New Anime Season

I'm getting a feeling we were all "that weird guy" that was into anima when we were teens?

Also, binged a bit last night and watched Puella Magi Madoka Magica Rebellion (what in the flying WHAT?) and the first ep of Kill la Kill (what in the WHO'S FLYING??)

Fun night, but suffice to say I feel a bit in a surreal world today.
Fivelives
Wed Mar 26, 2014 12:35 pm

Re: New Anime Season

Kill la Kill is done by the same folks who did Gurren Lagann. It starts at the level of batshit crazy where Gurren Lagann left off and goes forward from there - if on a moderately smaller scale.

Highly recommended.
Klaudandus
Sat Mar 29, 2014 5:15 am

Re: New Anime Season

Sagara wrote:I'm getting a feeling we were all "that weird guy" that was into anima when we were teens?

Also, binged a bit last night and watched Puella Magi Madoka Magica Rebellion (what in the flying WHAT?) and the first ep of Kill la Kill (what in the WHO'S FLYING??)

Fun night, but suffice to say I feel a bit in a surreal world today.


I loved Madoka Magica, Homura chan is awesome imo
Sagara
Sat Mar 29, 2014 11:56 am

Re: New Anime Season

Klaudandus wrote:I loved Madoka Magica, Homura chan is awesome imo


The movie's ending, from the moment Madokami pops up until the end.
That girl is viciously awesome.
Klaudandus
Sat Mar 29, 2014 1:25 pm

Re: New Anime Season

Sagara wrote:
Klaudandus wrote:I loved Madoka Magica, Homura chan is awesome imo


The movie's ending, from the moment Madokami pops up until the end.
That girl is viciously awesome.


Haven't seen the movie
Arjuna
Thu Apr 03, 2014 10:37 am

Re: New Anime Season

I just watched the first two episodes of Nobunaga the Fool...

...I have never EVER witnessed such a massive amount of namedropping in an anime series before!!!