Skip to content
Maintankadin

Accents...

Dorvan
Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:01 pm

Re: Accents...

Candiru wrote:What's wrong with saying "nearly everyone" or "almost everyone"? Most everyone makes no sense at all :(


I believe the etymology isn't from "most" at all, but rather: almost everyone -> 'most everyone -> most everyone

As for not making sense, welcome to any informal dialect anywhere :P
Snake-Aes
Fri Jul 17, 2009 8:50 pm

Re: Accents...

Dorvan wrote:
Candiru wrote:What's wrong with saying "nearly everyone" or "almost everyone"? Most everyone makes no sense at all :(


I believe the etymology isn't from "most" at all, but rather: almost everyone -> 'most everyone -> most everyone

As for not making sense, welcome to any informal dialect anywhere :P

reminds me of people speaking "HP" instead of "Hit Points", even though it's actually faster and easier to pronounce Hit Points.
Fridmarr
Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:15 pm

Re: Accents...

Yeah, but that's also likely influenced by Hewlett Packard (lol Packard Bell) and so it's commonly said outside of nerd speak, but even then it's about a company that creates nerd devices. So it permeates us. Basically, if someone says "HP", a nerd probably heard it.
Chicken
Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:35 pm

Re: Accents...

I always end up pronouncing HP not as "Aitch-Pea" but as "Hey-Pea". Then it's definitely shorter and easier to pronounce than Hit Points.
Candiru
Sat Jul 18, 2009 8:12 am

Re: Accents...

The worst offender for that is
"world wide web" - 3 syllables
"double-you, double-you, double-you" - 9 syllables

I mean, WTF? Can we all just say "http://world-wide-web.example.com" rather than the www shit.
QuantumDelta
Sat Jul 18, 2009 9:06 am

Re: Accents...

Cuz the actual address is www, which is shorter, and they're unlikely to change that part, your way would require foreknowledge of the web (which is far more likely these days but still, now that it's a world wide habit it'll be hard to change with universal understanding :P)
Minnerva
Sat Jul 18, 2009 10:05 am

Re: Accents...

Candiru wrote:The worst offender for that is
"world wide web" - 3 syllables
"double-you, double-you, double-you" - 9 syllables

I mean, WTF? Can we all just say "http://world-wide-web.example.com" rather than the www shit.


Image
let civilization progress
Dane
Sat Jul 18, 2009 1:18 pm

Re: Accents...

Chicken wrote:I always end up pronouncing HP not as "Aitch-Pea" but as "Hey-Pea". Then it's definitely shorter and easier to pronounce than Hit Points.


I prounounce it "Hey-soos."
Rojhaz
Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:08 pm

Re: Accents...

Vanifae wrote:This is comedy gold here on many different levels.

Minnerva always delivers.

You have a very low standard for comedy.

Candiru wrote:That's another word that's confusing: Asian

In Britain, Asian generally means someone from India/Pakistan/Bangladesh.

In America I think it means Japanese / Vietnamese / Chinese? Which would be called Oriental over here.
Might it be because India/Pakistan were British colonies whereas Japan/Vietnam/China had access to our west coast easier than to England? I've never thought about it before but you're right and that's the only plausible thing I could come up with. /shrug
Enkal
Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:44 pm

Re: Accents...

Rojhaz wrote:
Minnerva wrote:
Corman wrote:Accents I like: Austrian


Australians don't have accents, they have criminal records :D

sorry couldn't help it they say that in vent to a guild member because he is Australian just to mess with him. at first he got angry and since i laughed in vent his response was a bit cruel telling me "shut up bitch" after a while he just understood the guild members were just joking.

Reread what you quoted.


Not many ppl got this one yet? :shock:
Snake-Aes
Mon Jul 20, 2009 2:47 pm

Re: Accents...

Enkal wrote:
Not many ppl got this one yet? :shock:

Reading is a fine art. And it requires an even finer art: Attention to detail.

Needless to say, the internet is void of that.
Panzerdin
Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:10 pm

Re: Accents...

Not to mention the precursor art of reading.