Skip to content
Maintankadin

Do you drink bottled water?

Isetnefret
Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:08 pm

Re: Do you drink bottled water?

thegreatheed wrote:hey, i'm at work, tyvm. only engagin in this discussion because it is slightly more interesting than work. i don't waste my keystrokes on it while i'm at home. :)



At least we agree on this, and, to put some people in another thread at ease, at least I'm not sleeping at my desk.
Isetnefret
Thu Jul 16, 2009 5:37 pm

Re: Do you drink bottled water?

thegreatheed wrote:
Isetnefret wrote:
But by skipping over noble and necessary, and missing those points, I can make assumptions about your values base, since I've seen your thinking process.


Is there anyone else in this group I should know about that actively seeks to make personal attacks? FFS.


Right here you made assumptions about my values. You assumed that because I was saying you have a different value system, that I was demeaning yours. Thereby assuming my values base isn't tolerant of yours.

When in fact, I told you that your statements definitely were logical since you have a different value base. Here is my assumption on your values base


This was summed up here:
Arcand wrote:By making assumptions about something as complex and personal as a person's value system (and I don't think anyone got the impression you'd reached flattering conclusions), based on a couple tiny scraps of data, it looks like you're in a hurry to get to the part where you're standing triumphantly over them, heaping scorn on their ideas. Throwing derision in your follow-up post doesn't do much to dispel the notion either.


thegreatheed wrote:
me wrote:maybe you take carbon emissions as a more serious harm to a community than a family broken apart by addiction. if that's your values base, then you would see a ban on plastic bottles as more logical than a ban on illegal drugs.


All that statement did was explore the logic behind
you wrote:Indeed, one impacts the person using it, while the other impacts the environment that we all share.


To me, that statement is silly. Because of my values base. To you apparently it is significant, since you led off a reply with it.

I do not take carbon emissions as a more serious harm to a community than a family broken apart by addiction. I take carbon emissions as a more serious threat to the entire human population than a family broken apart by addiction.

On a macro scale, some junky doesn't make nearly as much difference as trashing the environment. On a community level, unless you're dumping toxic waste or poisoning local water supplies, obviously broken families and drug trafficking are a much bigger issue than a few plastic bottles.

Perhaps you missed the part of this thread where I said:
Isetnefret wrote:In general, I'm against bans like this. If people want to pay for bottled water, let them.

I understand the pollution issue, but there are for more polluting activities that would be easier to stop.

That said, I also think bottled water is kind of ridiculous if you live in a country/area with any kind of "modern" water treatment program...which should include about 99% of the United States.

I have no clue about Europe, but I'm guessing that most countries over there have even more strict regulations than we do.


If you hadn't missed that, maybe you would reach a different conclusion about my convictions regarding carbon emissions.

thegreatheed wrote:I first became derisive after you said
you wrote:You don't know shit about my values and anything you THINK you can deduce from statements I've made here is wrong.


Basically there you just call me stupid and wrong. I'm sorry if I respond dersively to that. It's impossible to have a debate when you tell your opponent, "well you're stupid and wrong". And that's where we stand.


I never said you were stupid, nor did I imply you were stupid. I said, plainly, that you were wrong in your assumptions about my values and thought processes. The ideas you put forth, in between making assumptions about me personally, were well worth debating and indeed could have furthered a worthwhile discussion, whether I agreed with them or not.

thegreatheed wrote:You even assumed I was talking about dictators in that post, when in fact my comments are about a democratic country making "benelovent" fascist decisions. I only mention dictators because it's easier to illustrate points with extreme analogy. Before you go off on the word fascist, I use that word as describing a political decision, group, or ideology that seeks to remove personal freedoms at a high rate. This democratically run town has just removed the right of the entire populace to choose their method of drinking clean water.

You apparently argue for the change because it will help the environment. And thus you would believe so strongly in saving the environment, that you approve of removal personal freedoms in order to accomplish that cause. Obviously, if you were sarcastic in your remarks about "the environment we all share", there's no way I can possibly know that. If so, we all know that pure emotion will never be evident in type. The only thing I can assume is that you're serious. And if I do, it has logical extensions whether you like it or not.


See above as to why I did NOT argue for this change. I think it's a stupid idea. However, I also think that if the populace of this democratically elected town has a real problem with the ban, then it won't stand for long.

I think the idea of paying for bottled water on a regular basis is stupid. However, if you want to do it, I would never stand in your way. There are worse things you can spend your money on, and the environmental impact of your purchase is less than the environmental impact of my own personal purchase of bottles of soda. I would never harp on that, except to concede in passing that ultimately, it's not the best thing for the environment. I'm not so driven as to make a change to my own behavior, therefore championing that cause would make me a hypocrite.....so I don't do it. I did, however, mention my cities recycling efforts, and my participation in them.

If you honestly believe that I would be in favor of removing personal freedoms, you obviously haven't read this post at all.
thegreatheed
Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:31 pm

Re: Do you drink bottled water?

So then this statement

Indeed, one impacts the person using it, while the other impacts the environment that we all share.
is sarcastic.

I said several times sarcasm can't be read into text. Either this is a statement of importance, or it's not. If it's not, then it was said in jest. If you don't believe that statement has importance (as your last post implies, since you said you don't agree with the bottled water change), then it wasn't a serious statement.

I've said all along I'm assuming you were serious.

If you mix in sarcasm and serious response, then you would be correct that any assumptions based on your replies would be inaccurate. Except that I qualified my assumptions, and told you I was assuming you were serious.
Isetnefret
Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:46 pm

Re: Do you drink bottled water?

Yes and no.

It's a serious statement, but as I pointed out, its importance depends on the scope of things you care about.

Locally, drugs win. Globally, pollution wins.

I tend to care more about things locally, so put less importance on the otherwise correct statement.
Minnerva
Fri Jul 17, 2009 9:12 am

Re: Do you drink bottled water?

Isetnefret wrote:
thegreatheed wrote:hey, i'm at work, tyvm. only engagin in this discussion because it is slightly more interesting than work. i don't waste my keystrokes on it while i'm at home. :)



At least we agree on this, and, to put some people in another thread at ease, at least I'm not sleeping at my desk.


Image
Aubade
Fri Jul 17, 2009 10:09 am

Re: Do you drink bottled water?

Minnerva wrote:
Isetnefret wrote:
thegreatheed wrote:hey, i'm at work, tyvm. only engagin in this discussion because it is slightly more interesting than work. i don't waste my keystrokes on it while i'm at home. :)



At least we agree on this, and, to put some people in another thread at ease, at least I'm not sleeping at my desk.


Image


Not sure what that's supposed to be there minn, but all it's giving me is a big black box saying "img.moonbuggy.org"
Constantíne
Fri Jul 17, 2009 2:55 pm

Re: Do you drink bottled water?

Lightbeard wrote:4 Pages and no one has mentioned grape drink yet?


Juice? What the fuck is juice?!? I want some grape drink, motherfucker! IT'S PURPLE!

I love Dave Chappelle.

On topic, I think it's retarded to drink bottled water unless there is an actual reason to (ie, the water where you live is hazardous to your health.) Even though I probably don't need it, I got the little screw-on filter thing for my faucet, that's more than enough for me.

As stupid as I think buying bottled water is, I do NOT think they should ban it. I just think people should stop buying it, but they should be free to buy it if they want. It's your money, do what you want with it.
Pursan
Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:37 am

Re: Do you drink bottled water?

Skipped the pages prior so this might have been covered. The cities of the world have gone through tremendous lengths to supply the public with running water so we didn't have to pipe it out of wells or carry containers of water from a clean source just to have everyone denounce the water (Which to my knowledge hasn't harmed anyone in the US) for it being unclean. All municipal water authorities are required to constantly test and treat the water flowing through their infrastructure. Your tax dollars pay for this, so why not use the service? I drank water from garden hoses, the shower, the sink, just about every outlet except the toilet and have never had any problems even as a child, fuck bottled water.

Ever look at what Evian spelled backwards is?
Minnerva
Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:56 am

Re: Do you drink bottled water?

Minnerva wrote:
Isetnefret wrote:
thegreatheed wrote:hey, i'm at work, tyvm. only engagin in this discussion because it is slightly more interesting than work. i don't waste my keystrokes on it while i'm at home. :)



At least we agree on this, and, to put some people in another thread at ease, at least I'm not sleeping at my desk.


Image


that is what sucks about searching google pictures. you get some pictures that are blocked.
Dantriges
Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:50 am

Re: Do you drink bottled water?

Some big cities here have heavily chlorinated water. I can understand people that are not so keen on drinking something resembling swimming pool water in taste.
Panzerdin
Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:12 pm

Re: Do you drink bottled water?

I do indeed drink bottled water. I buy a bottle, and put some water in it.