Skip to content
Maintankadin

Anyone play MTG?

aureon
Mon May 06, 2013 6:26 pm

Re: Anyone play MTG?

Sabindeus wrote:oh a new core set? crap. :|

I'm beginning to remember why I stopped playing Magic in the first place, keeping up is really hard when you're doing tons of other stuff with your life.


That's kind of why Commander and Modern exist!
Barathorn
Tue May 07, 2013 12:36 am

Re: Anyone play MTG?

Kai wrote:voice of resurgence is ridiculous. gonna be here to stay for quite a while in STD and probably good enough for modern.


This 1000%. Testing has already shown us that the G/W deck with Voices and Advent of the Wurm is incredibly strong.

BUG Control has also suprisingly been testing well against all non control decks. We haven't played it vs Bant or Esper yet but it looks very versatile and Mutilate is a massive card currently.
Sabindeus
Tue May 07, 2013 11:57 am

Re: Anyone play MTG?

aureon wrote:
Sabindeus wrote:oh a new core set? crap. :|

I'm beginning to remember why I stopped playing Magic in the first place, keeping up is really hard when you're doing tons of other stuff with your life.


That's kind of why Commander and Modern exist!


The problem with Modern is that all my old cards predate it. Like when I last stopped playing magic back in high school, it was during the Urza's Saga block. I have a few things from packs of Urza's Legacy but that's it. Then I picked it up again when M13 came out, and bought some M13 and Avacyn's and then had to get singles for all the crazy nonsense in Innistrad and Dark Ascension that my friends told me about to shore up my decks. So as far as Modern goes, all I have is my new cards, and that usually means I lose. :(
Shoju
Tue May 07, 2013 12:35 pm

Re: Anyone play MTG?

Sabindeus wrote:
aureon wrote:
Sabindeus wrote:oh a new core set? crap. :|

I'm beginning to remember why I stopped playing Magic in the first place, keeping up is really hard when you're doing tons of other stuff with your life.


That's kind of why Commander and Modern exist!


The problem with Modern is that all my old cards predate it. Like when I last stopped playing magic back in high school, it was during the Urza's Saga block. I have a few things from packs of Urza's Legacy but that's it. Then I picked it up again when M13 came out, and bought some M13 and Avacyn's and then had to get singles for all the crazy nonsense in Innistrad and Dark Ascension that my friends told me about to shore up my decks. So as far as Modern goes, all I have is my new cards, and that usually means I lose. :(


Not sure if I posted in this or not, but the last two "competitive" decks I fielded included

Deck 1:
Dark Ritual
Hidden Horror
Shallow Grave
Corpse Dance
Morinfen
And some dude that started with a G

And Deck 2:
Anvil of Borgarden
Megrim
Lots o' discard.

That was Tempest when MIrage block was still legal.
I have played a few times since then, but not on a competitive level. I was actually a pretty good player in Tempest. Now, My 10 year old wants to play, and we bought some starters to give it a whirl. Game seems to have not gotten stale, which is a testament to its longevity.
Barathorn
Fri Jul 19, 2013 7:42 am

Re: Anyone play MTG?

So M14, whats hot and what's not?
Chmur
Mon Jul 22, 2013 12:35 am

Re: Anyone play MTG?

Barathorn wrote:So M14, whats hot and what's not?


I'd say it's hard to say yet, but of course Hydra and Ooze are stupidly strong - got blown off the table by mono G Oooze deck (Scavenging Ooze, Predator Ooze, Strangleroot Geists and to top it off Hydra to double them counters, yay!!). Young Pyromancer worked miracles in my UWR Flash deck and it's definitely far better than Assemble the Legion plan - bouncing attacker with Azorius charm making a token to block wih is way too powerful. Played against mono R aggro that was using the new Ogres at Hellrider slots - not as good as Hellriders, but not bad either. Ratchet bomb rocks as usual in control shells. Still waiting for some "fun" decks with the demon searching thingies or the cauldron combo. Got something like new enchantress deck in mind with Ajani kittens in it and I believe anything with Staff of Nin and the enchantment that makes Illusions of your opponents creatures can be played.

Oh, and monoG ramp into Garruk -> Hoof!!! is just stupid. Presuming Titans will get reprint in Theros, we're in for really great standard season again :/
Sabindeus
Mon Jul 22, 2013 8:58 am

Re: Anyone play MTG?

So for my silly mill deck: mfers got rid of my Mind Sculpt... now I have to mix in black for the strictly better version in Dragon's Maze :|

Good thing we're in the age of multicolor nonsense and infinite dual lands

but Millstone's back! yay

Nothing of note for my counter/burn deck...

My white token deck can probably use some tuning up, especially once the Innistrad block rotates out
Barathorn
Tue Jul 23, 2013 12:07 am

Re: Anyone play MTG?

I am playing around with mono green Hydra Stompy, UWR Flash/UW Flash, B/G Rock, Mono Red Burning Earth and WRB good stuff currently.

Out of the new set the card that has the most raw potential that I am trying to break is Liliana's Reaver. Really like that card.
Chmur
Tue Jul 23, 2013 5:37 am

Re: Anyone play MTG?

Sabindeus wrote:Nothing of note for my counter/burn deck...


Run Guttersnipe + Young Pyromancer. Then come back and tell the tales :)
Sabindeus
Wed Jul 24, 2013 8:28 am

Re: Anyone play MTG?

Chmur wrote:
Sabindeus wrote:Nothing of note for my counter/burn deck...


Run Guttersnipe + Young Pyromancer. Then come back and tell the tales :)


.... yeeeeeah I probably should, shouldn't I
Barathorn
Fri Jul 26, 2013 8:17 am

Re: Anyone play MTG?

Sabindeus wrote:
Chmur wrote:
Sabindeus wrote:Nothing of note for my counter/burn deck...


Run Guttersnipe + Young Pyromancer. Then come back and tell the tales :)


.... yeeeeeah I probably should, shouldn't I


Or run UWR Counterburn and play 4 x Boros Charm and 4 x Warleaders Helix + Snapcasters.

Good enough to win FNM's.
Sabindeus
Fri Jul 26, 2013 12:31 pm

Re: Anyone play MTG?

Barathorn wrote:Or run UWR Counterburn and play 4 x Boros Charm and 4 x Warleaders Helix + Snapcasters.

Good enough to win FNM's.


Well I don't want to invest in Snapcasters with Innistrad set to rotate out in a few months...

I just dumped a big pile of money at Trollandtoad to re-do my mill deck. It's crazy now. Gatecrash just went and did all sorts of nonsense.

Though mixing white into my counter/burn deck does seem reasonable given all the control that Azorius has... but it seems somehow not as classic that way :(
Nakama
Sat Jul 27, 2013 5:44 pm

Re: Anyone play MTG?

Yay MTG! I consistently draft each set a little bit on MTGO, but my work hours and limited budget mean I don't get to do too much Standard/Modern. Good to see that other people here are still in the thick of it though. :)

As for M14, I think Scavenging Ooze, Archangel of Thune, Garruk Caller of Beasts, Kalonian Hydra and Mutavault are your money cards, with Chandra Pyromaster pulling up the rear. I like Chandra a lot, but you have to get a lot of mileage out of a 4-drop currently and I don't think she quite does enough. Time and Young Pyromaster will tell though...

--Jed
Sabindeus
Tue Jul 30, 2013 2:30 pm

Re: Anyone play MTG?

anyone have suggestions for my Boros deck? looking for suggestions on best 1 and 2 mana creatures.
Barathorn
Thu Aug 15, 2013 3:13 am

Re: Anyone play MTG?

Sabindeus wrote:anyone have suggestions for my Boros deck? looking for suggestions on best 1 and 2 mana creatures.


Have a look at Craig Wescoe's World Champs Deck [he finished 5th], its pretty solid and very aggressive. The deck is about half way down the article.

http://magic.tcgplayer.com/db/article.asp?ID=11322

In other news, M14 Draft is pretty meh. Its just about blue cards and getting the best ones.
Sabindeus
Thu Aug 15, 2013 10:55 am

Re: Anyone play MTG?

blehhhh too many red/white decks have huge bombs from Innistrad/Dark Ascension... which I don't own any of. :(
Petrus
Tue Aug 20, 2013 6:19 am

Re: Anyone play MTG?

Man, I had no idea there was such a strong MTG community here as well. I've played since my 10th birthday (1998) but more-or-less quit (at least buying new cards) in 2003 when they changed the card face. I try to live up to my reputation as that guy who hates the new card faces, and I was mostly successful until this past spring when I finally cracked because RTR has been such a cool block.

Mirrodin and Kamigawa blocks added to the card style change - I didn't like their content and I liked the old cards, so I just said "screw it" and stuck to my old stuff. But RTR has been pretty cool, I really like the guilds and their mechanics, and I really really love Roman/Green history and mythology (was going to be a Classics major at one point in college), so I am looking forward to Theros with bated breath.

The biggest thing I hope to see is a return to more dual-color decks instead of tricolor. While I understand the state of mana fixing in standard is really good right now, I hope that Theros brings with it duals that are better for pairings than groupings. Hopefully it will also cut down on the number of Jund/UWR/Bant decks in the standard meta (even if Bant is my favorite of the tricolor groups). I'd love to be able to run W/G, W/R, U/G, and W/U decks in standard, and maybe even monogreen or monowhite.

Either way, until Theros comes out, I'll stick to searching out old singles from Tempest-Stronghold-Exodus (and the other old blocks that I don't have enough cards from) at my LGS.
Barathorn
Tue Aug 20, 2013 8:02 am

Re: Anyone play MTG?

/waves to Petrus.

Ok Sab, lets build you a deck for FNM that is good for a year or so.

The Monsters [27]

2 x Legion Loyalist
4 x Foundry Street Denizen
4 x Rakdos Cackler
4 x Ash Zealot
4 x Chandra's Phoenix
4 x Viashino Firstblade
3 x Ogre Battledriver
2 x Scourge of Valkas [get these while they are cheap]

The Planeswalkers [2]

2 x Chandra Pyromaster

The Spells [8]

2 x Mizzium Mortars
4 x Annihilating Fire
2 x Boros Charm

The Lands [23]

4 x Sacred Foundry
3 x Boros Guildgate
3 x Mutavault
13 x Mountain

NB - you may want to wait for Theros to be spoiled before committing to buying any cards currently but the dragon is suprisingly good!
Sabindeus
Wed Aug 21, 2013 1:33 pm

Re: Anyone play MTG?

Annihilating Fire? Really? I kind of like Warleader's Helix...

SO yeah I did build a red/white deck but it probably isn't very good. Bara, once I get home I'll type up a deck list for you to pick apart
Barathorn
Wed Sep 11, 2013 12:00 am

Re: Anyone play MTG?

Sabindeus wrote:Annihilating Fire? Really? I kind of like Warleader's Helix...

SO yeah I did build a red/white deck but it probably isn't very good. Bara, once I get home I'll type up a deck list for you to pick apart


This deck must have like 1000's of cards right?

:P
Sabindeus
Wed Sep 11, 2013 9:25 am

Re: Anyone play MTG?

Barathorn wrote:
Sabindeus wrote:Annihilating Fire? Really? I kind of like Warleader's Helix...

SO yeah I did build a red/white deck but it probably isn't very good. Bara, once I get home I'll type up a deck list for you to pick apart


This deck must have like 1000's of cards right?

:P


no i am just awful

also since the last time i posted I went to DragonCon and played some casuals and it wasn't the worst thing ever. (it wasn't great but it didn't autolose every game)
Kai
Thu Sep 12, 2013 3:48 am

Re: Anyone play MTG?

uh, dragon con. was there a few years ago when they had a grand prix. is that still more of a lack/leather fetish convention then anything else? Can't say I expected to see girls having their boyfriends on a leash and stuff like that. when we got into the room they had the magic tournament and it was crowded with the usual 16-30y old guys with backpacks, one of my friends went 'phew, normal people.'. :)
Sabindeus
Thu Sep 12, 2013 9:50 am

Re: Anyone play MTG?

Kai wrote:uh, dragon con. was there a few years ago when they had a grand prix. is that still more of a lack/leather fetish convention then anything else? Can't say I expected to see girls having their boyfriends on a leash and stuff like that. when we got into the room they had the magic tournament and it was crowded with the usual 16-30y old guys with backpacks, one of my friends went 'phew, normal people.'. :)


roflcopters

the thing is, you find, seriously, all kinds of people at DragonCon. What you saw was not representative. In fact I'm guessing that what happened was you saw some people that you didn't expect, and only remembered them and didn't really notice all the other people walking around in t-shirts and cargo shorts. :)
Sabindeus
Mon Sep 30, 2013 2:19 pm

Re: Anyone play MTG?

so how bout that there Theros
AergisAergis's avatar
Tue Oct 01, 2013 11:20 am

Re: Anyone play MTG?

Been actively watching the prices now that we have a new inventory system and sales website...
WTF is going on with Stormbreath Dragon and Chandra, Pyromancer? Chandra spiked up to $40 from $20 and is sold out of most stores...