Skip to content
Maintankadin

Just bought Call of Cthulu and Gunslinger

Lightbeard
Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:48 pm

Just bought Call of Cthulu and Gunslinger

So today I went to Barnes and Nobles and bought

"The Call of Cthulu" by H.P. Lovecraft
and
"Gunslinger" by Stephen King

Can't decide which to read first so heres another poll thread by Lightbeard
Invisusira
Tue Mar 10, 2009 12:58 pm
dark tower was an amazing board game
cerwillis
Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:16 pm
Both great books, and I'm sure you'll like both of them. While Cthulu was ground breaking, and influences horror fiction to this day, the Dark Tower is hands-down the best fiction series I've read. I'm sure others will disagree, but for fast, enjoyable read that truly makes you care about the characters, the Gunslinger is the shit. The first book is arguably the best in the series, but after reading all of them, it seems like King STARTED taking drugs before he wrote the rest of them (b/c things get so crazy), when in fact, the opposite is true.
Lightbeard
Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:27 pm
Also just realized I need to buy a bookmark >.<
Panzerdin
Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:28 pm
No, just remember what page you're on. Works wonders.
Aldonza
Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:30 pm
Barring that, a scrap piece of paper works wonders. (Hint: a store receipt)
ulushnar
Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:33 pm
I'd suggest to start with the Dark Tower (even though I must admit I've never read it.) Steven King's the more modern storyteller and (I suspect) the one more easily suited to your temperament.

Must as I like me some Lovecraft he can be hard work and his best stuff involves a building sense of wrongness leading to someone coming in contact with a universe which is at best ambivalent to humanity and at worst absolutely malevolent.
anthony
Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:34 pm
cookies make good bookmarks aswell tbh
ulushnar
Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:34 pm
Aldonza wrote:Barring that, a scrap piece of paper works wonders. (Hint: a store receipt)


Or a bus/train ticket. Half the books on my shelf have some form of travel receipt lodged in between their pages.
Lightbeard
Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:35 pm
Panzerdin wrote:No, just remember what page you're on. Works wonders.


seems like an awful lot of work
Panzerdin
Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:38 pm
One three-digit number? It's hardly taxing.
Lightbeard
Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:40 pm
Panzerdin wrote:One three-digit number? It's hardly taxing.


I dont have the brain capacity

/headsplode
Arcand
Tue Mar 10, 2009 1:50 pm
Am I the only one who dog-ears his books?
Panzerdin
Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:15 pm
Yes, it ranks slightly higher than the Holocaust on my list of all-time crimes against humanity.
Lightbeard
Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:20 pm
Panzerdin wrote:Yes, it ranks slightly higher than the Holocaust on my list of all-time crimes against humanity.


lol
daemonym
Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:23 pm
if by the dark tower you mean the series...in case you failed ot notice it's rather long. however if that is not an issue, dark tower first. like seriously i won't read another book the same no joke, i was that amazed by it.
Rummy
Tue Mar 10, 2009 2:51 pm
I read the dark tower series years ago (what had been finished then), the first book was truly amazing, second was awesome, third was ok, fourth was wtf???? i gave up the series on book 4, Stephen King lost the plot imo

Personally I much prefer authors like the late great David Gemmell - light, easy read, full of action and some good character development.

Gemmell is like WoW, easy, fun, effortless

some authors are like Age of Conan - great concept, great background, sophisticated, awesomely put together but require too much effort and concentration and are just not fun (they may have fixed AoC by now, i quit 6months ago at lvl 55ish)
glmacedo
Tue Mar 10, 2009 3:59 pm
Definitely Dark Tower... the series is simply amazing.

As one poster above said, it's one of the best modern fiction/fantasy pieces out there... and King is just THE modern storyteller.
Lightbeard
Tue Mar 10, 2009 4:50 pm
daemonym wrote:if by the dark tower you mean the series...in case you failed ot notice it's rather long. however if that is not an issue, dark tower first. like seriously i won't read another book the same no joke, i was that amazed by it.


it kinda says it on the front cover
Rumzy
Tue Mar 10, 2009 6:50 pm
glmacedo wrote:Definitely Dark Tower... the series is simply amazing.

As one poster above said, it's one of the best modern fiction/fantasy pieces out there... and King is just THE modern storyteller.



Read the first 4 books in the series, they are all great. Then stop. It seems King got tired of the series after book 4, and just wanted to end it, so the last few books are steaming piles of crap. (And long steaming piles of crap).

King was THE modern storyteller in like the late 70's through the 80's, none of his stuff in the last decade can hold a candle to his earlier stuff (except maybe Cell, but I'm biased because i love the zombie stuff).


H.P.L. is great of course, not quite as accessible as King (or any modern horror writer) but his whole mythos is just so creepy and insane.

Pick up World War Z, best horror fiction written recently, I keep a copy at work for when I have downtime, and have probably read it 15 times.

Or check out Richard Laymon, he has a zillion books (died though, so no new ones) His writing is juvenile, gross, erotic, unbelieveable at times, but its just so freakin fun to read, it's like my dirty little secret.


All just my opinion of course, I'm sure many disagree
Belloc
Wed Mar 11, 2009 11:46 am
I have the Call of Cthulhu (and Other Weird Stories) on my desk (at work) right in front of me. Good book. It just occurred to me that I skipped Reanimator.

If you got the same collection as me, there are some very good short stories in there. Off the top of my head, I enjoyed Cool Air, The Hound, and the Rats in the Walls. Of course, the longer stories are good as well (Colour Out of Space and The Whisperer in Darkness).

Enjoy it!
Sabindeus
Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:16 pm
Arcand wrote:Am I the only one who dog-ears his books?


Nope, I do it too.
Sabindeus
Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:17 pm
Panzerdin wrote:Yes, it ranks slightly higher than the Holocaust on my list of all-time crimes against humanity.


Your MOM'S a crime against humanity! ZING

No but seriously what's wrong with dog-earing. It's not like I am worried about the collector's value of my books here.
Lightbeard
Wed Mar 11, 2009 1:19 pm
I started gunslinger im on page 132 atm

Story started off kinda slow and confusing but getting better