Skip to content
Maintankadin

Accents...

QuantumDelta
Sat Jul 11, 2009 10:54 pm

Accents...

Off the back of;
viewtopic.php?f=19&t=24336&start=30

I was brought back to ponder an old thing of mine.
Since I used to work in a glorified government call centre, and I raid lead (including pugs/bg premades) my accent gets a lot of exposure.

I'm Bristolian, and if you talk to me as a Bristolian you /will/ notice it, though the accent is somewhat more muted than most locals (Gov't... have to do standard English...became habit, blahblah).

But, over the years I've been asked if I'm from a great many places, including but not limited to;
Sweden, Norway, Germany, Greece, Australia, Ireland, America, Israel, and more or less half the major cities in the UK (never scottish though thank god ;P!!).

So I was wondering what everyone else's experiences are.
Personally I am quite fond of the Northern parts of America/some of the Canadian accents I know, but absolutely hate some of the more eastern European accents (not because I dislike eastern Europeans but they always seem to speak so muffled and hurriedly without care for actually being understood), I have some trouble understanding southern Asian accents too half the time but if I ask them to annunciate it's normally ok.


What accents do you like? Dislike?
What accent do you have? and what has your accent been mistaken for?

I do tend to find it odd that accents normally so distinctive can be so easily mistaken on an international setting.
Sputterduck
Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:27 pm

Re: Accents...

I'm from California, which apparently they call an English-neutral accent. We have a few Canadians in my guild, who sounds pretty much like I do except for how they pronounce O's, so things like "about" sound like "a boot". We have a couple southerners as well, both of whom now live elsewhere and dislike their accents, so hide them as much as possible, but they still slip up every now and then and the accent emerges. We also used to have an a girl from western Australia in the guild, and I have to admit hearing her talk on Vent just drove me wild. Her voice was like hearing the sirens' call from 10,000 miles away, and sometimes I'd actually lose my train of thought when she would talk. I like hearing different accents, so long as I can understand the person. It makes conversations more interesting lively.
Jaeldech
Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:30 pm

Re: Accents...

Southern accent. I quit trying to hide it. It's only really bad if I'm being sarcastic, or if I'm angry. People love it.

A lot of people in my guild had a similar issue with the Australian girl accent. I wound up having to mute her one time so people would stop begging her to say stuff. Attention whores ftl.

Also: I get a lot of fun out of harassing yoopers about their accents. It's nice revenge for people making fun of mine.
Sputterduck
Sat Jul 11, 2009 11:37 pm

Re: Accents...

Woo! I just noticed, 100 posts! (well, 101 now...)
Lightstrike
Sun Jul 12, 2009 2:50 am

Re: Accents...

I come from Leeds, but upon meeting someone on our server (@QD) who is from down the road, after learning I live in Milton Keynes, they said they could definitely hear it in my voice. I've only lived here just over a year..

Some people are silly!

I guess I don't have a broad Yorkshire accent though..
ElSid
Sun Jul 12, 2009 4:11 am

Re: Accents...

I always thought that i had no accent at all. :3

This idea was shattered when anyone who wasnt local would tell me how strong my accent was ><

Irish cork to be exact ;D
I quite like the scottish acccent :3 and the newzealand accent is epic :D
Conaan!
Sun Jul 12, 2009 4:37 am

Re: Accents...

if i could date a girl with a scottish or irish accent, i would be happy

but i particuarly like aussie/NZ/irish/scottish and certain british accents
Grehn|Skipjack
Sun Jul 12, 2009 4:58 am

Re: Accents...

I don't speak with any noticeable accents, but I do speak in a hodgepodge of northeastern/southern/west coast American dialects.
Reygen
Sun Jul 12, 2009 5:12 am

Re: Accents...

I hate Australian accents, but that's because I'm from NZ...

Sure don't mind a european accent so long as I can understand the words that are coming out of their mouth.
Origon
Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:24 am

Re: Accents...

I'm Russian originally

I speak with a Russian accent when talking English
I speak with an English accent when talking Russian

both kinds of people assume I'm from the other place as my native-area -_-
Vanifae
Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:40 am

Re: Accents...

I speak Engrish.
Amarant_Pally
Sun Jul 12, 2009 6:59 am

Re: Accents...

Australian and Southern accents give me hard-ons.

I'm Southern myself, and it gets *really* strong when I'm intoxicated.

But the most common accent I've been called having?

Ass-hole.
Sputterduck
Sun Jul 12, 2009 7:00 am

Re: Accents...

Vanifae wrote:I speak Engrish.

I ROVE Engrish!
grog189
Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:00 am

Re: Accents...

We have a woman from russia in my guild and everytime i hear her accent it makes me want to go have happy time >.>
Barristan
Sun Jul 12, 2009 10:02 am

Re: Accents...

I was born in Ontario and lived there until I was 13 then I moved to California... for about 2 years I still had a Canadian "accent". It has since faded but it caused me to be known as "eh" from people that knew me in Jr High.