Skip to content
Maintankadin

Nintendo DS games

Tinalt
Wed Jul 15, 2009 3:39 pm

Nintendo DS games

Alright, so I am bored out of my mind. I'm stuck in Djibouti and the internet connection here is too slow to be able to do anything on WoW. I don't have any consoles, and I don't have a PC, but I do have a DS. Right now I only have Zelda: Phantom Hourglass and New Super Mario, and I beat both of them.

What games would you recommend? I normally stick with RPGs but I'm bored enough to try anything.

TL;DR: List games for DS and/or GBA that you enjoy
Brand
Wed Jul 15, 2009 4:33 pm

Re: Nintendo DS games

Final Fantasy IV DS is one I would recommend. Especially if you normally stick with RPGs. Even if you've played the game before, the DS treatment is an enjoyable revisit. Loved playing an old favorite that had been completely overhauled and given a wonderful treatment.
thegreatheed
Wed Jul 15, 2009 5:24 pm

Re: Nintendo DS games

Puzzle quest is a highly enjoyable game. It's a bubble matching quick and easy game, superimposed onto a basic RPG, train your guy up, kill the baddies, improve his armor, and learn new skills.
Barristan
Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:24 pm

Re: Nintendo DS games

I've been playing DS a lot lately.

-Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Survivor is a fantastic SRPG, multiple endings, you're really missing out of if you haven't played this imo.
-Castlevania: Order of Ecclesia
-Castlevania: Dawn of Sorrow
-Grand Theft Auto: Chinatown Wars
-The World Ends With You
-Knights in the Nightmare (I haven't really had a chance to play this one much yet, its a deep/complicated RPG that seems to have a lot going for it, has recieved really high reviews)
-n+ - Awesome platformer
-New Super Mario Bros
-Clubhouse Games (one of those 100 in 1 game deals, cards/checkers/bar games etc.)
-Mario Kart DS
-Tony Hawk's American Sk8land (dunno how many people are still in to these games but I enjoy playing it from time to time)
-Pokemon Platinum

Games I haven't played that I heard good things about:

Suikoden DS
Valkyrie Profile: Covenant of the Plume
Lunar Knights
Final Fantasy Chrystal Chronicles: Echoes of Time
Final Fantasy Chrystal Chronicles: Ring of Fates
Chicken
Wed Jul 15, 2009 9:28 pm

Re: Nintendo DS games

The remakes of Dragon Quest IV and V are well done as well, though they're very faithful remakes, so they involve a fair of level grinding and such, and can be pretty harsh in random encounters. They're remade in a good mix of 3D environments with 2D sprites, which works really well on the DS. Fun games though. Dragon Quest IV is the better one of the two, though that might just be me being sentimental, since it's pretty much the game that originally introduced me to RPGs back in the NES days.
Erendis
Thu Jul 16, 2009 6:09 am

Re: Nintendo DS games

I'm having alot of fun with Fire Emblem: Shadow Dragon right now. The new Advance Wars: Days of Ruin is pretty fun too.

Then there is always the port of Disgaea if you haven't played it before.
thejuice
Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:27 am

Re: Nintendo DS games

I normally don't like DS games, it seems that most of them are way too heavily based on use of the touchscreen, which detracts from the experience.

One that I did enjoy was the Transformers games that came out a few years ago, it's kind of like GTA, but you can morph into a bigass robot whenever you want.

and of course, good ol Pokemon.
Arcand
Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:31 am

Re: Nintendo DS games

If you're desperate enough: I can hardly believe how much stuff there is to do in my son's Pokemon Platinum.
hoho
Thu Jul 16, 2009 7:48 am

Re: Nintendo DS games

I hope Tinalt doesn't mind me using the thread to ask if there are any good strategy games on DS? I've played AoE demo a while ago and it seemed OK'ish but I'm wondering if there are more.
mew
Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:09 pm

Re: Nintendo DS games

If you like puzzle games, I really really enjoyed Professor Layton and the Curious Village (the title is something along those lines) and Picross was quite entertaining as well.

However, I am retarded and also like Cooking Mama.
hoho
Thu Jul 16, 2009 12:14 pm

Re: Nintendo DS games

Indeed, picross is quite nice once you understand the basic concept of it. It's also good for practicing (very) basic math skills :)
Kerrigan
Thu Jul 16, 2009 1:37 pm

Re: Nintendo DS games

Chrono Trigger DS
Tinalt
Thu Jul 16, 2009 2:27 pm

Re: Nintendo DS games

Thanks for all the replies. I just bought FF4 and Chrono Trigger. It's been ages since I played either of those. I will look into the others.
Zonzede
Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:04 pm

Re: Nintendo DS games

Chicken wrote:The remakes of Dragon Quest IV and V are well done as well, though they're very faithful remakes, so they involve a fair of level grinding and such, and can be pretty harsh in random encounters. They're remade in a good mix of 3D environments with 2D sprites, which works really well on the DS. Fun games though. Dragon Quest IV is the better one of the two, though that might just be me being sentimental, since it's pretty much the game that originally introduced me to RPGs back in the NES days.


Nah, IV is more fun, though I love the slightly shaken up hero/protagonist convention in V.
Barristan
Thu Jul 16, 2009 8:06 pm

Re: Nintendo DS games

hoho wrote:I hope Tinalt doesn't mind me using the thread to ask if there are any good strategy games on DS? I've played AoE demo a while ago and it seemed OK'ish but I'm wondering if there are more.


inc massive ass link

http://ds.ign.com/index/reviews.html?co ... order=desc

Seems they've got some RTS games with SRPGs on that list. There isn't a ton of RTS games on the DS and the only one I tried was Robocalypse but I thought it was very watered down and kind of boring.