Skip to content
Maintankadin

How do you pronounce (Americans will fail)....

Isetnefret
Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:02 pm

How do you pronounce (Americans will fail)....

I've always been fascinated with the way things are actually pronounced.

If you go to a country where English is commonly spoken, and try to say the names of locations, it seems like a straight forward task.

It turns out to be not quite as straight forward as your failure to do so:

phonetically how you say:


Lancaster

Doncaster

Chichester

Bicester

Auchenheath

Kirkfieldbank

Gloucester




There are two guys here, one from Aberdeen, Scotland and the other from Norwich, England.


Neither of them can agree on how to pronounce half the damn city names they talk about.....but they always agree what WE are doing it wrong.
Nikachelle
Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:07 pm

Re: How do you pronounce (Americans will fail)....

Lancaster
Lan-cass-tur


Doncaster
Dawn-cass-tur


Chichester
Che-chess-tur


Bicester
Bai-ses-tur

Auchenheath
Aaw-ken-hee-th


Kirkfieldbank
Kirk-field-bank :P


Gloucester
Gloss-tur
Conaan!
Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:09 pm

Re: How do you pronounce (Americans will fail)....

Nikachelle wrote:Lancaster
Lan-cass-tur


Doncaster
Dawn-cass-tur


Chichester
Che-chess-tur


Bicester
Bai-ses-tur

Auchenheath
Aaw-ken-hee-th


Kirkfieldbank
Kirk-field-bank :P


Gloucester
Gloss-tur



dont know about where you live, but where i come from, alot of the pronunciations come with a "nsh" ending
Nikachelle
Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:10 pm

Re: How do you pronounce (Americans will fail)....

Conaan! wrote:
dont know about where you live, but where i come from, alot of the pronunciations come with a "nsh" ending


Canada
Fridmarr
Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:16 pm

Re: How do you pronounce (Americans will fail)....

The first one is Lang-ka-ster, and it's an touristy Amish town in PA :)
Thalia
Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:27 pm

Re: How do you pronounce (Americans will fail)....

Chichester

Shi-shester?
Arcand
Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:34 pm

Re: How do you pronounce (Americans will fail)....

Western Canada:

Isetnefret wrote:Lancaster

LAN-cass-ter

Doncaster

DONK-ster

Chichester

SHISCHE-ster

Bicester

BISCHE-ster

Auchenheath

OCK-a-neeth (?)

Kirkfieldbank

Psssh...no idea how they'd squeeze that down, so I'd just go KIRK-fee-yeld-bank and wait to be corrected.

Gloucester

Ken Branagh said it 'GLOSS-ter' in Henry V.

I doggedly insist on calling the condiment WAR-chest-er-shy-er sauce,
even though I'm pretty sure brits manage to get it down to about a syllable
and a half. :P
Isetnefret
Fri Jul 17, 2009 5:41 pm

Re: How do you pronounce (Americans will fail)....

I doggedly insist on calling the condiment WAR-chest-er-shy-er sauce,
even though I'm pretty sure brits manage to get it down to about a syllable
and a half.


That's how this all started.
Vanifae
Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:24 pm

Re: How do you pronounce (Americans will fail)....

I pronounce all of those boobs.
fafhrd
Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:44 pm

Re: How do you pronounce (Americans will fail)....

Lancaster : lank-es-ter

Doncaster: dunk-es-ter

Chichester: don't know. chich-es-ter maybe?

Bicester: dunno. bi-chester

Auchenheath: ochen-heath?

Kirkfieldbank : kirk-field-bank

Gloucester: glau-chester
QuantumDelta
Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:45 pm

Re: How do you pronounce (Americans will fail)....

Fridmarr wrote:The first one is Lang-ka-ster, and it's an touristy Amish town in PA :)


They're all significant (perhaps not major) British cities/counties originally? :P


Lancaster - Lang-cah-ster http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lancaster,_Lancashire

Doncaster - Don-cah-ster http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Doncaster (might be a very very VERY subtle h in the 'dohn')

Chichester - Chi-Chester (I'm guessing cuz I have NFI) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chichester

Bicester - Bis-ster (might be off) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bicester

Auchenheath - I am not even sure how to spell it phonetically but I'm sure I'm getting it wrong because I say it how a German would probably say it than a Scott, at least for the first part "Awch-en-heath" is about as close as I can get it :P http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Auchenheath

Kirkfieldbank - Again, probably mis-pronouncing it, but Kirk-(as in the captain)field-bank, in pretty normal english :<, no idea how to break that up phonetically though ;D http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Kirkfieldbank

Gloucester - Glos-ster actually really freaking close to where I live so yea... :P http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Gloucester


Speaking of Gloucester, try THIS without reading the phonetic Gloucestershire
Conaan!
Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:48 pm

Re: How do you pronounce (Americans will fail)....

QuantumDelta wrote:Gloucestershire


glock-shister-shire imo
QuantumDelta
Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:55 pm

Re: How do you pronounce (Americans will fail)....

Well I forgive you, since most of the people who live in my county (South Gloucestershire) can't spell or pronounce it properly ;p
Isetnefret
Fri Jul 17, 2009 6:58 pm

Re: How do you pronounce (Americans will fail)....

Gloucestershire


Gloss te sher ???
Dorvan
Fri Jul 17, 2009 7:01 pm

Re: How do you pronounce (Americans will fail)....

QuantumDelta wrote:Speaking of Gloucester, try THIS without reading the phonetic Gloucestershire


GLOST-sher?