Skip to content
Maintankadin

Blizzcon, Now with T-shirt poll!

Gladia
Tue May 18, 2010 9:02 am

Blizzcon, Now with T-shirt poll!

Since it was announced today, "Tickets to this year's BlizzCon gaming convention, being held on October 22 and 23 in Anaheim, California, will go on sale worldwide on Wednesday, June 2 at 7 p.m. Pacific time for $150 each, with a second block of tickets going on sale Saturday, June 5 at 10 a.m. Pacific time."
Thalia
Tue May 18, 2010 9:07 am

Re: Blizzcon

Do you know how many they will be selling?
Tenaka
Tue May 18, 2010 11:57 am

Re: Blizzcon

So want to go, can afford it too, inc the flights from UK and accom.

Only thing that holds me back is none of my friends can :(
Gladia
Tue May 18, 2010 12:11 pm

Re: Blizzcon

Thalia wrote:Do you know how many they will be selling?



No Clue, based on previous years, i would estimate 20-30k, but it was pretty packed last year, so they may only be able to fit 20k, and that was the largest space in the building. I like how they changed the times though, last year i missed the first batch from work, and barely made the 2nd batch.

Heres the amount of tickets sold in prior years
2005 October 28–29 8,000
2007 August 3–4 13,000
2008 October 10–12 15,000
2009 August 21–22 20,000
Nikachelle
Tue May 18, 2010 12:20 pm

Re: Blizzcon

That's IT? God that seems like nothing.
Gladia
Tue May 18, 2010 1:07 pm

Re: Blizzcon

Nikachelle wrote:That's IT? God that seems like nothing.



Lol, yeah, i know, but thats a crapton of people.

On a side note, i wonder who is going to be closing it this year, Ozzy was pretty good last year
Thalia
Tue May 18, 2010 1:23 pm

Re: Blizzcon

Well I will be spamming the "buy" page, hoping to get tickets. I had a lot of fun finding the "maintankadin" by looking for people with our shirts on, and we saw plenty.
Gladia
Tue May 18, 2010 2:11 pm

Re: Blizzcon

Thalia wrote:Well I will be spamming the "buy" page, hoping to get tickets. I had a lot of fun finding the "maintankadin" by looking for people with our shirts on, and we saw plenty.


I had mine on saturday, but hadnt really seen anyone else there, had a few ask me about it, and say they heard of it, didnt know i ran into people on here until the pictures after i got back, lol like mew.

Maybe this year those who are going could have a meet up kinda thing.
Flex
Tue May 18, 2010 2:20 pm

Re: Blizzcon

Nikachelle wrote:That's IT? God that seems like nothing.


For a trade/event show by one game company that has three properties getting 20K people to come to it is a rather amazing thing.
Arnock
Tue May 18, 2010 2:55 pm

Re: Blizzcon

E3's record attendance was 70k apparently, so considering that e3 is the biggest trade show for the entire gaming industry, I'm pretty sure 20k for one company is a pretty good attendance.
Gladia
Tue May 18, 2010 3:07 pm

Re: Blizzcon

Flex wrote:
Nikachelle wrote:That's IT? God that seems like nothing.


For a trade/event show by one game company that has three properties getting 20K people to come to it is a rather amazing thing.



Based upon previous ticket sales, each day last year sold out in a matter of 5 minutes, the year before, if you were lucky to get into the site, was less than that each day the site was up. Considering there is 10 mil players, you figure atleast 20% of that is in the US, 2 mil people attempting to get a ticket when there is 20k available. Its really not an amazing feat, if they had the space to do 70k, it would sell out just as fast.
Flex
Tue May 18, 2010 3:09 pm

Re: Blizzcon

Gladia wrote:Its really not an amazing feat, if they had the space to do 70k, it would sell out just as fast.


It is an amazing feat that a single company with so few properties has such a turn out for their events. It speaks volumes about the emotional impact their games produce.
Daeren
Tue May 18, 2010 3:15 pm

Re: Blizzcon

150$ Wow, that's alot of cash for Blizzcon. Don't get me wrong or anything, but it's not many years ago that a 5 days music festival (Roskilde) cost that much.

I do see that they have alot of events, and it's expensive to rent the place etc, but still...
Gladia
Tue May 18, 2010 3:18 pm

Re: Blizzcon

Daeren wrote:150$ Wow, that's alot of cash for Blizzcon. Don't get me wrong or anything, but it's not many years ago that a 5 days music festival (Roskilde) cost that much.

I do see that they have alot of events, and it's expensive to rent the place etc, but still...



Imo it is well worth more than that, just for the experience. Not to mention the bag that comes with the ticket, knowing you have an item that was only made/produced for this event. Personally last year, i spent pretty close to 3k on the trip, but that incl'd 2 friends, one from ny and co, 2 hotel rooms, rental car and airfare, and i feel that i got every pennies worth out of it.
mew
Tue May 18, 2010 9:40 pm

Re: Blizzcon

I don't think they really profit off Blizzcon. If they do it's not much.

I thought I heard last year was 25000 tickets but I am probably wrong. I trust your number list over my memory.

I love going every year. Minimum cost for the trip (if you are flying in from elsewhere in the US) is around $500, but it is worth it to save up for. ($150 for con ticket, $300 for plane ticket, at least $100 for hotel for 3 nights depending on how many people you split with, food)
I loved the merchandise system last year where you could mail order most of the stuff you wanted before the con.

I'm super excited :D Buying tickets is always the scary part.
Santcuff
Wed May 19, 2010 4:02 am

Re: Blizzcon

Ugh I want to go so bad but I don't think I have the money :x
Gladia
Wed May 19, 2010 8:41 am

Re: Blizzcon

mew wrote:I don't think they really profit off Blizzcon. If they do it's not much.

I thought I heard last year was 25000 tickets but I am probably wrong. I trust your number list over my memory.

I love going every year. Minimum cost for the trip (if you are flying in from elsewhere in the US) is around $500, but it is worth it to save up for. ($150 for con ticket, $300 for plane ticket, at least $100 for hotel for 3 nights depending on how many people you split with, food)
I loved the merchandise system last year where you could mail order most of the stuff you wanted before the con.

I'm super excited :D Buying tickets is always the scary part.



I believe that they did have an article on their site somewhere about how they really dont profit from it and the only reason they do it is for their fans, from what i remember they barely break even, if not lose some money. Considering to rent a single hall at the convention center is a minimum of $10,000, and they usually rent 3, plus 1 downstairs and 2 upstairs. so roughly 50k without anything actually in there. Add in the setup, the people to manage it, the equipment rentals, the ending concert performance, depending on who it is, im pretty sure Ozzy did it for a deeply discounted rate, but still was pretty costly, putting everyone in hotels, etc. All of that with a budget of 3 mil from ticket sales, plus im sure im missing a lot of items that are behind the scenes.

500 sounds about right for a total cost, if you watch where you stay, and food. I choose to stay in the hilton, rent a car, and ate at some higher end places. Last year met a friend there from co also that kept it under 300 for everything.

I really liked the store/mail order also, made it a lot easier than waiting in line, and hoping they werent sold out of an item. I like the ticket queue system they implemented, since it actually gives you a status of where you are in line, and doesnt crap out like 2008's system
fuzzygeek
Wed May 19, 2010 12:09 pm

Re: Blizzcon

Gladia wrote:I like the ticket queue system they implemented, since it actually gives you a status of where you are in line, and doesnt crap out like 2008's system


We had half the guild on vent camping the blizz store last year when tickets went on sale. One guy hit refresh 10 seconds after everyone else because his system lagged out when he tabbed out of wow, and he was 15 thousand places back.
Gladia
Wed May 19, 2010 12:56 pm

Re: Blizzcon

fuzzygeek wrote:
Gladia wrote:I like the ticket queue system they implemented, since it actually gives you a status of where you are in line, and doesnt crap out like 2008's system


We had half the guild on vent camping the blizz store last year when tickets went on sale. One guy hit refresh 10 seconds after everyone else because his system lagged out when he tabbed out of wow, and he was 15 thousand places back.



I lucked out the 2nd day, got in at 3500, but same friend had to get his on ebay, since he was 4000, only mere seconds after it opened. It is a lot better than 2008 though, when it brought down anything related to blizzard...
fuzzygeek
Wed May 19, 2010 3:59 pm

Re: Blizzcon

Gladia wrote:I lucked out the 2nd day, got in at 3500, but same friend had to get his on ebay, since he was 4000, only mere seconds after it opened. It is a lot better than 2008 though, when it brought down anything related to blizzard...


The constructobot image still invokes a pavlovian fury response.
Santcuff
Wed May 19, 2010 5:07 pm

Re: Blizzcon

So I can go if I can somehow get tickets and save my money like hell :D
Boyfriend
Thu May 20, 2010 2:10 am

Re: Blizzcon

Blizzard probably greatly profits from the publicity the event generates. Not so much from the actual event.
Shyrtandros
Thu May 20, 2010 11:19 am

Re: Blizzcon

I've never been to blizzcon and I have a week worth of vacation time that I can use up. Honostly I don't know anything about blizzcon other than you get some cool wow stuff for going, and they have some gaming going on while your there.

Does anyone have information of what they did, what happens and goes on, or maybe like a "blizzcon explained" website?

I'm at work so I can't even google it lol.

Might be something I would go to.
Santcuff
Thu May 20, 2010 11:25 am

Re: Blizzcon

Shyrtandros wrote:I've never been to blizzcon and I have a week worth of vacation time that I can use up. Honostly I don't know anything about blizzcon other than you get some cool wow stuff for going, and they have some gaming going on while your there.

Does anyone have information of what they did, what happens and goes on, or maybe like a "blizzcon explained" website?

I'm at work so I can't even google it lol.

Might be something I would go to.

Well besides the awesome goody bags and the shop...

There are panals for Diable, Starcraft and WoW where the developers discuss new things theya re going to be adding to the game in the next few months to a year and stuff.

There are also tournaments you can watch were the best SC, Warcraft 3 and WoW arena players and competing against each other.

There is a costume contest, Sound a-like contest, a concert.

Oh and there are also computers where you can play content which isn't released yet. (last year you were able to play the begining area of the worgens and goblins)

Anything I miss?
Gladia
Thu May 20, 2010 12:28 pm

Re: Blizzcon

Santcuff wrote:
Shyrtandros wrote:I've never been to blizzcon and I have a week worth of vacation time that I can use up. Honostly I don't know anything about blizzcon other than you get some cool wow stuff for going, and they have some gaming going on while your there.

Does anyone have information of what they did, what happens and goes on, or maybe like a "blizzcon explained" website?

I'm at work so I can't even google it lol.

Might be something I would go to.

Well besides the awesome goody bags and the shop...

There are panals for Diable, Starcraft and WoW where the developers discuss new things theya re going to be adding to the game in the next few months to a year and stuff.

There are also tournaments you can watch were the best SC, Warcraft 3 and WoW arena players and competing against each other.

There is a costume contest, Sound a-like contest, a concert.

Oh and there are also computers where you can play content which isn't released yet. (last year you were able to play the begining area of the worgens and goblins)

Anything I miss?



The Realm Meetup, the vendor booths with more free stuff

A "Quest" treasure hunt

The Guild was there last year, personally meeting Felicia Day was just awesome, and actually getting to talk with them, since they just closed the booth when we walked up, but allowed us in

The opportunity to win a lot of limited edition items, such as the worgen/SC3/Diablo posters for finding the rare item, along with the first 3 winners got nvidia video cards.

Intel giving away core i7 extreme processors, and other intel gear, bags, shirts, motherboards, etc.

The developer autograph/question booth, where you could have them sign various Blizzard gear, and ask specific questions directly to the devs.

And not to mention the stuff outside the con, LA is only 20-30 mins away depending on the day and time, if your willing to drive a little farther, north is San Fran, or south is San Diego, and mission beach/coronado naval.

If your planning on going, but arent going to rent a car, there is a lot of hotels within walking distance ranging from 50-300 a night. The hilton right next to the conv center, more of 10 feet, runs usually 150-299 for a night, depending on how many beds, a disney or non disney facing room.

Also, most people are willing to give others going to the con rides from the airport, plus 90% of hotels have shuttle services for a small fee, or free, if you watch the blizzcon forums on the wow site, or post an offer there, a lot of people will help you out.

Food is a mere .5 miles down the road at the garden walk, disney is right across katella from the conv center.

:Edit: And the most important part, the Hilton after party! i dont think ive ever seen a hotel where you couldnt move through anywhere cause there was that many people. Plus open doors, people partying in the hallways, pool area, sun decks, lobby, elevators.