Skip to content
Maintankadin

Ameteur photography

Melathys
Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:35 pm

Ameteur photography

So, there's a fair coming up, and I was hoping I could get some opinions on a few pics I could enter into the contest. I'll be the first to admit I'm not a pro, I leave that for my brother( http://www.stephanphotos.com/ ) The entry fee is $18 per picture, so I'm really trying to cut down on the amount of pictures I want to enter, lol.

thank you, and I hope you might actually like some of them, lol.

These are my not so pro pictures. http://www.flickriver.com/photos/dstephan/
Melathys
Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:45 pm

Re: Ameteur photography

here's a few I think are front runners to enter

Image
Image
Image
Image


*edit, now that I think about it, if ya'll have pictures you'd like to share, post them here!
Nikachelle
Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:55 pm

Re: Ameteur photography

I know next to nothing about photography, but I love these ones:
Image

Image

Image

My only comment is that a lot of these shots seem oversaturated. Is that intentional?
Nikachelle
Sat Mar 05, 2011 10:56 pm

Re: Ameteur photography

:/ Links to your account totally didn't work. Grrr.
Melathys
Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:07 pm

Re: Ameteur photography

I know a few of them are, I find them more interesting that way (like the above one with the umbrella)...but you say a lot. I may have to go re-examine some of them then.

yea, it took me a bit to figure out how to share pics from flickr. I find you go to share, then the html code, then just pull out the .jpg part of the link.

*edit.

ok, I think I'm seeing it now, and I find I do prefer the newly adjusted picture better.

ie...
old
Image

vs
new
Image

editedit

this might be also a bit why my brother was trying to recommend a different HDR program than CS5, cause some of them look better without hdr at all (yea, I know its not true hdr, but when shooting with RAW, you can come pretty close)
Nikachelle
Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:20 pm

Re: Ameteur photography

I definitely prefer the adjusted picture between those too. Saturation can be good, but too much of it... is too much.
Nikachelle
Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:21 pm

Re: Ameteur photography

Just cuz you said to post shots... this is my favourite I ever took. Total luck too, I have no skill.
Image
Melathys
Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:25 pm

Re: Ameteur photography

that is nice. I like how you managed to get the glare without washing out the rest of the picture.

when I'm taking pics with my phone or point and shoot (I just ordered a canon S95 that I can't wait to play with), sometimes I'll hold my polarized sunglasses over the lens, lol.
Fivelives
Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:19 am

Re: Ameteur photography

Never been all that good with photography, but I had this sitting on my point & shoot:

Image

I especially like the little clouds in the right side of it that look like people.
knaughty
Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:37 am

Re: Ameteur photography

Is it just me, or is Flikr a piece of crap?

Anyway, I've joined up and it doesn't automatically accept full-size photos, I had to upload the full-size versions manually.

These are pictures of my Grandfather's farm, I'm quite proud of them:

Image
IMG_0503.JPG by Jaguar Mark VIII, on Flickr

Image
IMG_0487.JPG copy by Jaguar Mark VIII, on Flickr
Arnock
Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:15 pm

Re: Ameteur photography

Melathys wrote:here's a few I think are front runners to enter

Image
Image


*edit, now that I think about it, if ya'll have pictures you'd like to share, post them here!



Those two look great to me.


I've never been able to take anything that I'd consider to be 'good' with a digital camera, everything always winds up washed out and faded. Even the cheap kodak disposable cameras wind up turning out better pics, heck I've even won a contest with one before.
Sarevok
Mon Mar 07, 2011 12:28 am

Re: Ameteur photography

Nikachelle wrote:Just cuz you said to post shots... this is my favourite I ever took. Total luck too, I have no skill.
Image

Now this I like! It's as if I am actually standing right there! Every time I look at this picture my mind always start to wander away...

/a hundred thumbs up :D
Skye1013
Mon Mar 07, 2011 2:04 am

Re: Ameteur photography

Melathys wrote:Image

I like that one. Not sure if it would look better in b/w, but I do find it appealing.

Also... where did you take a picture of a giraffe that wasn't in a zoo? That's quite awesome :).
Melathys
Mon Mar 07, 2011 8:31 am

Re: Ameteur photography

It actually was in a zoo. in palm desert, ca. or was it desert springs? I get the two mixed up all the time.
Rachmaninoff
Wed Mar 16, 2011 7:48 am

Re: Ameteur photography

these are my pictures for my first trip to maine... left at night got there at 1 am, the sun woke me up around 545 and this is what I saw
Image
Image
Image

and that same night
Image I couldn't get the moon just right but you get the idea

and on my cruise last year, this photo was taken with my phone, and I think it looks shopped, but its not
Image

edit: Melathys those are pretty good, I really like the industrious ones.
theckhd
Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:07 am

Re: Ameteur photography

Rachmaninoff wrote:and that same night
http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg1/ ... C00159.jpg
I couldn't get the moon just right but you get the idea

I've apparently been watching too much X-files, because my mind totally jumped to "UFO" when I saw that picture.
cerwillis
Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:34 am

Re: Ameteur photography

I took the first 3 with an underwater disposable camera when I was on St John in the USVIs a few years ago. The last 2 were taken with my iphone in Hawaii last December. I haven't treated them at all, though I like the CVS developing machine's saturation on the film ones.
Image
Image
Image
Image
Image
bldavis
Wed Mar 16, 2011 8:36 am

Re: Ameteur photography

i wanna go!!!

beautiful pics cerwillis
fuzzygeek
Wed Mar 16, 2011 10:50 am

Re: Ameteur photography

I'll always regret I didn't angle the camera up two degrees.
Image

Somewhere in the middle of Kuai
Image

Kids in a fairy tale.
Image
Hopefully a Disney one, and not a Grimm's.

Edit: hah, keep forgetting I filter hotlinks.
Invisusira
Wed Mar 16, 2011 1:19 pm

Re: Ameteur photography

fuzzygeek wrote:Hotlinking images is not permitted ().

geez way to hotlink from your own site

foul knave
fafhrd
Thu Mar 17, 2011 12:03 am

Re: Ameteur photography

Random pictures from random places (some of which people can probably guess). I don't know what most of the stuff on my camera does, so this is about as amateur as it gets. I think I do like photographing things as opposed to landscapes though.

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image

Image
Image
Skye1013
Thu Mar 17, 2011 7:39 am

Re: Ameteur photography

theckhd wrote:
Rachmaninoff wrote:and that same night
http://i244.photobucket.com/albums/gg1/ ... C00159.jpg
I couldn't get the moon just right but you get the idea

I've apparently been watching too much X-files, because my mind totally jumped to "UFO" when I saw that picture.

Oddly enough I just finished watching the first season, and I concur wholeheartedly :D.
Rachmaninoff
Thu Mar 17, 2011 8:14 am

Re: Ameteur photography

Skye1013 wrote:
theckhd wrote:I've apparently been watching too much X-files, because my mind totally jumped to "UFO" when I saw that picture.

Oddly enough I just finished watching the first season, and I concur wholeheartedly :D.


I'm about to finish season 8... assuming you are watching them on netflix, your going to kill a fews days just watching season 3,4,the movie,5 I know I did
Skye1013
Sun Mar 20, 2011 7:07 am

Re: Ameteur photography

Rachmaninoff wrote:
Skye1013 wrote:
theckhd wrote:I've apparently been watching too much X-files, because my mind totally jumped to "UFO" when I saw that picture.

Oddly enough I just finished watching the first season, and I concur wholeheartedly :D.


I'm about to finish season 8... assuming you are watching them on netflix, your going to kill a fews days just watching season 3,4,the movie,5 I know I did

Actually... I picked up all 9 seasons from the Haji shop over here ($150.) The quality is actually pretty good, since I think they ripped it from the dvd box set. I probably won't get around to finishing it before I leave here though, but I'll have plenty of time to watch it back in Germany during my 2 weeks of R&R :).
Vanifae
Mon Mar 21, 2011 8:57 am

Re: Ameteur photography

Amateur Photography.