crazyharry wrote:Dibdib wrote:Arnock wrote:I live in South Florida, so snow/ice isn't much of an issue for me. However, rain might be. How safe is it to ride through heavy rain?
Depending what you meant by "heavy", and with suitable tyres (i.e. not trackday almost-slicks), the right safety-first attitude and adequate experience/training it's safe.
Must be something wrong with me,
I loved riding in the pissing rain.Advise wise, invest in a decent helmet. An undamaged head is worth way more than any helmet you care to buy and odds are you will come off your bike at least once.
I also love riding in the rain.
I have never owned a car and I've only owned my motorcycles and I've used them for everything everyday for over 4 years. I've dealt with my fair share of rain, storms, hails ( this week in fact ) and I still wouldn't undo my investment into it. Wit that being said literally a little goes a long way. If you want it to be your ONLY vehicle I would recommend looking into either a cruiser or a cruiser / street hybrid.
You want something with a windshield an attached back seat and mounting possibilites for saddlebags at a bare minimum. If I could make recommendations I would say get a backseat with a back rest that has a "luggage rack" and then get some hard saddle bags that can be locked.
A lot of people say "well I don't like the look of a windshield, bags & back seat - it looks like an old mans bike." Guess what they're removable accessories you can use as you like. <20 mins I can take off (or put on) backrest, bags and a windshield.
My saddle bags are just big enough to be able to fit one of those 2x6 fridge 12packs of soda in it with a little room on top for some stuff. My rule of thumb is everything I can fit in one of those hand held shopping baskets will fit in my saddle bags. + more if I want to just bungee cord something like frozen pizzas to the backseat or luggage rack. You'll be completely suprised by the sheer volume you can actually carry on a bike once you're used to it.
The only thing people NEED to understand is you'll have to have some resources or be willing to take the hit for a rental for those "special moments" when you have to have a car / truck but even then it's situational.
In my years of ownership I've paid for ONE service that wasn't your standard oil, brakes, tires, ect ect.. $20 fork seal replacement.. As for my routine maintenence I bought a 3 year package deal that every 4,000mi I bring it into the shop and they take care of w/e maintenence is needed until the plan runs out. I've added up the services that i've had done on the bike and w/o the plan it would have cost me easily 3x what I paid for the plan and i've still got another 6 months left to cash in 1-2 more services. I average 40 miles per gallon but I always drive 80+ MPH.. I can easily get 50 if I drove the speed limit.
So if you're looking at cost of the bike, cost of upkeep ect ect hands down the bike is going to be a HUUUUUGE money saver. I paid my full year of full coverage bike insurance at once and it only cost me a little over $700 which was actually cheaper than my ex's car insurance.
Saving money is great, good incentive but most people will go back to a car w/in 6 months. In order to stay on the bike long-term you'll need your primary motivation to be that you WANT a bike to ride a bike and not just economical reasons.
If you're going to do it then do it right from the get go or else it'll just be a pain in the long run.
Some additional tips I'd give you is.. Don't worry about brand names.. I almost bought myself a great new BEAUTIFUL Harley but it wasn't "Comfortable" to ride for more than 10 minutes, was too small for me, I know dozens of riders and the only people who I know who HAVENT had major bike troubles are on Hondas, Yamahas & Suzuke cruisers, while my Harley friends have had some major issues (and to be honost they are WAAAY better than I am about 'caring for' their bikes.)
As for actual bike recommendations.. Consider a Yamaha VStar 650+CC. Great price, good bike, built like a tank, great accessory options.
Personally I ride a Honda VTX1300cc and looking back I totally could have picked up a lower CC bike and it wouldn't have made any real difference except for saving me some $$.
TL/DR - Make sure YOU WANTING to ride is your #1 motivation to make a bike your mode of transportation or your just going to waste a LOT of money to realize you want a car instead.
If you have questions I'll GLADLY answer any you have. When I'm home I'll try to remember to throw a pic of my bike on here.