Skip to content
Maintankadin

Belgium and the Netherlands: Trip Recommendation Request

katraya
Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:24 am

Belgium and the Netherlands: Trip Recommendation Request

I will be traveling to Belgium and the Netherlands for my honeymoon in October. I know we have quite a few members in that area and any recommendations you guys have would be great.

Right now our itinerary looks like this:

Brussels - 2 nights
Utrecht - 3 nights (going to a cyclocross race, Hoge Veluwe, and the Open Air Museum)
Amsterdam - 2 nights
Bruges - 2 nights
Return to Brussels for one night before flying out

This isn't set in stone because while our hotels are booked, they're refundable if we have to cancel.

I have a guidebook that covers all the touristy places but I'm curious about other things to do. I'd also love recommendations on where to eat and drink. Finally, we'll be doing a fair amount of cycling so if there are places you like or things we should know, I'd appreciate it.

I'll probably come back in the next few weeks with logistical questions too. Once I get through the wedding I can focus on the trip.
Brekkie
Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:37 am

Re: Belgium and the Netherlands: Trip Recommendation Request

I have nothing useful to add, but I just want to say that that sounds fantastic and I hope you have a GREAT time! :)
Nikachelle
Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:53 am

Re: Belgium and the Netherlands: Trip Recommendation Request

Inb4 "You should go to [different country] and try [something not in the locations you're going].
JoeBravo
Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:04 am

Re: Belgium and the Netherlands: Trip Recommendation Request

no Arnhem :(

/jk ^^

personal favorite of mine is the Stedelijk Museum in Amsterdam, but other than that can't really say. I haven't seen quite a few of the obvious dutch tourist places and most is up to personal preference.

But as you are planning to go about on a bike, the Hoge Veluwe (national park where openluchtmuseum is located in), and both the Utrecht and Amsterdam city center a great places to go see by bike.
Sagara
Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:34 am

Re: Belgium and the Netherlands: Trip Recommendation Request

Brussels doesn't have much to offer. One thing that you should check your guide for is the Brussels cartoon frescos - 30 or so house wall that were painted in the likeness of many a famous comic book character.

Are you more of an artsy type? Or more of a hangout type?
katraya
Mon Sep 17, 2012 12:11 pm

Re: Belgium and the Netherlands: Trip Recommendation Request

Sagara wrote:
Are you more of an artsy type? Or more of a hangout type?


A bit of both. I can only take so many museums of a similar sort before I get burnt out though. Definitely enjoy walking around and exploring areas.
Skye1013
Mon Sep 17, 2012 6:14 pm

Re: Belgium and the Netherlands: Trip Recommendation Request

The Anne Frank museum in Amsterdam was kind of neat, but that's about all I've seen of Belgium/the Netherlands outside of driving to and from Amsterdam (hooray for ~$100 to fill my gas tank!)

I would suggest you avoid Worldie's (ex)friends though...
Sagara
Mon Sep 17, 2012 10:54 pm

Re: Belgium and the Netherlands: Trip Recommendation Request

Oh, and if you're near the Grand Place de Brussels, try and find the Bier Tempel. Enough beer to make any amateur green.
Fivelives
Mon Sep 17, 2012 11:42 pm

Re: Belgium and the Netherlands: Trip Recommendation Request

Careful which coffee houses you go to in Amsterdam, or else you might end up missing Bruges.

And possibly your flight home.
Barathorn
Tue Sep 18, 2012 5:22 am

Re: Belgium and the Netherlands: Trip Recommendation Request

I know its your HM and I know its not that sort of thing but you really should go to Arnhem and see the sights/pay your respects if you are visiting Holland. I think you will kick yourself if you don't.

Frankly its eerie as hell but also cleansing and leaves an impression that will always be with you. If that isn't ideal I understand.

FWIW the train system in Holland is outstanding and very efficient.

I can't believe you are going to be that close and aren't visiting me.

/Pout.