Skip to content
Maintankadin

Where are we all now? Catch up!

Barathorn
Mon Jun 01, 2015 4:12 am

Where are we all now? Catch up!

Hi all,

So its been a few years since the height of this sites success in the 'rose tinted specs required to examine the weather in Turkey era' and I thought it might be good to have an informal catch up thread and see what we are all doing now? We seem to have spent so much time together that it would be good to stay in touch through emails/facebook etc [its easier to do it now than later as I found out the hard way, I am still tracking down friends from UO 12 years on!].

I stopped playing WOW in @ 2010 and started playing a lot of MTG again. I briefly returned to WOW to play with the Panda's a little with a new character and did a few LFR but it wasn't the same for me so I quit again. I continue to play a lot of MTG at small to large events and am looking forward to playing Star Wars Armada with my Godchildren.

Game wise since 2010 I have dabbled with LOTRO, FF, SWTOR, Archage and World of Tanks but nothing has caught my attention in the way UO or WOW did. I have gone back to where it all began for me in 1997 and am playing a free server for Ultima Online and a bit of Hearthstone when I fancy it.

If anyone fancies staying in touch then shout out here!

Best wishes to you all.

Bara.
Era
Tue Jun 02, 2015 2:56 am

Re: Where are we all now? Catch up!

I don't know you, but I spend enough time around here to know OF you. I'm always interested in getting to know people though. I love to travel, so the more people I know around the world, the better. I'm probably not the target audience here since I wasn't around during your heydays, but I'm gonna throw my name in the pot anyway.

I disappeared from WoW after the end of Cata, and mostly spent my time reading books and playing random single player games. Had built up a fairly considerable backlog of books and games I wanted to get through but never had time for during my WoW days. Came back for a bit during the last patch of Mists, but didn't quite enjoy the game. Loved the challenge modes, but the rest didn't quite hit home for me. Then I moved to Japan and stopped playing again until the release of WoD. Enjoyed WoD quite a bit so far and played casually until recently, as life has gotten a little busy here.

I'm not super excited about WoW anymore; currently my main source of hype is the sci-fi space MMO [url=robertsspaceindustries.com]Star Citizen[/url]. Sadly my shitty laptop doesn't run the alpha very well, and once it goes live I'm not sure I'll have the possibility to invest the amount of time the game seems to deserve (I made a topic about it but it didn't gain any traction, but I suggest checking it out if you're into sci-fi games).

Anyway, I spend most of my time in Japan or Norway, so if anyone's looking to travel in either direction, feel free to drop me a PM.

PS: I'm assuming you're American but you profile doesn't let on. Care to share or is secrecy a measure to keep people off your lawn?
Barathorn
Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:23 am

Re: Where are we all now? Catch up!

Hi Era,

Thanks for the reply, was starting to feel a bit lonely in here.

I was prompted to do this as we have a similar thread on Stratics for 'Whatever Happened' for UO players but that didn't get posted until 2010 and we still get people drop in now and then which is amazing considering most of us stopped playing in around 2002.

I wanted the same thing here just in case people dropped back in so that people could exchange details and stay in touch beyond the game as it were.

I am actually English but don't be fooled, I also don't give a damn about the weather in Turkey :)
Snake-Aes
Tue Jun 02, 2015 5:31 am

Re: Where are we all now? Catch up!

There's not much to say here. I'm juggling my time between work and uni as always, though I found a couple jobs abroad. Gives some perspective.

Game wise I'm kinda stagnated. My computer could barely run wow back when I played (to the beginning of cataclysm), and it hasn't been upgraded since then. there's a couple old games i play sometimes, but the core of my experience is in my xbox 360.
Far more importantly, in the entertainment industry, I still play RPGs and won't ever let that change. It's fun when your character survives 3 consecutive coup'de graces.

My love life... What little I still write in the other thread is still valid. Miss Poet is changing my life for the better, the pace is still FULL POWER TOTAL DESTRUCTION and it's just as unbelievable as everything I ever posted there.
Era
Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:17 am

Re: Where are we all now? Catch up!

Barathorn wrote:Hi Era,

Thanks for the reply, was starting to feel a bit lonely in here.

I was prompted to do this as we have a similar thread on Stratics for 'Whatever Happened' for UO players but that didn't get posted until 2010 and we still get people drop in now and then which is amazing considering most of us stopped playing in around 2002.

I wanted the same thing here just in case people dropped back in so that people could exchange details and stay in touch beyond the game as it were.

I am actually English but don't be fooled, I also don't give a damn about the weather in Turkey :)


You're very welcome! It's a good idea to stay in touch with people. Maintaining a network of friends and all that. I regret not keeping in touch with friends from my Guild Wars days, might try and reconnect with them! Anyway, if anyone wants my Facebook, just PM me. I don't bite, and all that.

England eh? I've spent quite some time in England actually, mostly up north in York and down south in Dorset. And even after having travelled around europe and asia, London remains one of my favourite cities. Can't quite explain why though!

What about you Snake, care to divulge the location of those prickling thorns?
Snake-Aes
Tue Jun 02, 2015 10:55 am

Re: Where are we all now? Catch up!

Era wrote:What about you Snake, care to divulge the location of those prickling thorns?
I have an open job offer in London, as a systems analyst to develop pharmaceutical big data analysis algorithms. It's less pretentious than it sounds (figure out a way to make sense of this crapton of data). They hit me with smaller tasks every now and then when Uni's demands calm down.
My former thermodynamics teacher is back in germany and he wrote a letter of recommendation if I want to apply to statistical physics research, especially with building simulators. I'm not inclined to take on either, but it's more out of other ambitions. I like those two works.
Era
Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:03 am

Re: Where are we all now? Catch up!

Well whaddya know! Two people I thought lived in America turns out to live basically right next door in the UK! I guess I should pay more attention to who's correctly spelling things like colour and armour. ;)
Snake-Aes
Wed Jun 03, 2015 4:12 am

Re: Where are we all now? Catch up!

I live in Brazil. I said the perspective-broadening jobs were abroad :D
Era
Wed Jun 03, 2015 6:29 am

Re: Where are we all now? Catch up!

Snake-Aes wrote:I live in Brazil. I said the perspective-broadening jobs were abroad :D


Ah I see! Well, London is pretty good I'd say! Far away from Brazil for sure, but still.
Snake-Aes
Wed Jun 03, 2015 7:05 pm

Re: Where are we all now? Catch up!

Yeah. People everywhere ._. People here even moved to other countries because of people here.
ticklefist
Wed Jun 03, 2015 9:51 pm

Re: Where are we all now? Catch up!

I frequented the site between TBC and WotLK. I didn't post a lot, a fair bit but not a lot. Anywho, I stepped away from the game for 3 years and haven't spent a lot of time with my paladin since then either.

I looked through some of my old posts recently and I had really become an asshole towards the end of Wrath. I blame tank ego and burnout.
Barathorn
Thu Jun 04, 2015 8:01 am

Re: Where are we all now? Catch up!

I think a lot of people did the same ticklefist and didn't post a huge amount but digested everything possible.

I don't remember you being an arse FWIW.
Pfife
Fri Jun 05, 2015 1:49 pm

Re: Where are we all now? Catch up!

Found the site when WOTLK was in beta when looking at a wiki. I lurked more often than not. Posted some food in the random pic thread. Got into a fight over spelling my last name with Snake-Aes by referencing things that used two different spellings. Met a few of you one Blizzcon when we all met in a bar the night before (somebody thanked me for drinking a Guiness Bomb properly, Theck maybe?). I quit WOW after smacking Garrosh in his stupid face. I knew I needed to because now I have a 1 1/2 year old daughter that takes up all non-work moments of my life (mostly). I'm stuck with some flash games (don't hate me), Smash Bros on WiiU, and got the PSP version of Disgaea 2 a couple nights ago. I'm contemplating Shovel Knight and eagerly await my chance to play Mighty No. 9. I have not changed location or job for years, and need to get my butt in gear for looking for a new job at least. I miss WOW and want to play Heroes of the Storm and Hearthstone. But I need a new machine (symptoms point to a failing hard drive for about a year now) and the baby monitor plus closet door mirrors mess with the wifi for iPhones so much that mobile options are out. Been trying to at least look into the asylum once a week (or month if I forget) to try and keep up with what is going on here, but I was a bit unsuccessful for about a year. I'm glad to see this thread pop up.
Skye1013
Sat Jun 06, 2015 1:12 am

Re: Where are we all now? Catch up!

Been around the site since WotLK... started WoW back in classic. Got into a partial MT guild during Cata which was slow to progress, but it was enjoyable. Played off and on during Mists, then picked up WoD and played it for a couple months. I've since then let my account lapse, as it doesn't hold the same interest it did in the past. Nowadays I'm mostly back to lurking around here with the occasional input. Been playing Smash Bros and LoL. Recently picked up GTAV and have been playing online with some coworkers.

And to prevent confusion (Era)... I'm in/from the US :P
Barathorn
Mon Jun 08, 2015 6:57 am

Re: Where are we all now? Catch up!

I have opened my Pokeball of Paladin collecting!!

I know there are more of you out there. Lurkers or Posters, I care not, make yourself known in this thread. It's silly not to all stay in touch after we all shared so much enjoyment from the site.

Quick update on me - Currently playing SOTA Alpha. Feels very Ultima Online but without PK's currently [safe mode on].
Arnock
Mon Jun 08, 2015 11:13 am

Re: Where are we all now? Catch up!

My story closely mirrors Bara's, minus the Ultima Online.

I main tanked for my guild all through TBC and WotlK, and had a ton of fun, but after awhile my time spent playing was mostly leveling alts while watching TV on my second monitor. I quit WoW a few days before Cataclysm dropped. The game had lost a lot of its appeal, and I wasn't crazy about a lot of the changes they implemented in Cata, so I got out. I re-subbed for a few months in MoP, but after reaching level 90, I had very little interest in any end-game content and most of my time was spent soloing old instances, so I quit again a few months later.

I tried my hand at a few other MMO's since quitting, like Lotro and Swtor, but neither really had the same sort of special something that made WoW so enjoyable for such a long time.

I played a lot of League of Legends, but over time the community drove me away.


I actually re-activated my wow subscription again a few months back in a burst of nostalgia. I haven't bought the WoD expansion yet, and I somehow doubt that I will. I still don't have the time or motivation to go back into endgame raiding, and I'm having a bit of fun leveling alts in PVP and trying to solo level-appropriate instances.


I actually would like to try to find a private server running a TBC patch to play out of nostalgia, but from what I've read, most of them don't run very well at all.

I don't have a lot of time for gaming any more. I'm going to Film school, and trying to balance that and a full time job. Most of the time that I used to spend gaming I'm either working on trying to get my motorcycle running again, or watching shows on netflix.


I have been enjoying school though, had a blast making this short documentary for a class:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w6yW3I85_4g
Torquemada
Mon Jun 08, 2015 12:03 pm

Re: Where are we all now? Catch up!

WoW was my first MMO, starting in 2005 but quitting for an Iraq deployment. Came home safely, and picked it back up in time to re-roll Paladin when Horde got them for TBC. Did a horrible job of tanking and finally came across this site (As well as Lindadillar's awesome video) which finally got me on the right path. Tanked through Illidan in TBC as a result.

Ended up moving to South Korea for 2 years, transferring to an Oceanic guild until it fell apart, then transferred again and ended up 11/12 H in ICC 25 before burnout set in. Went very casual (Though still finished Insane in the Membrane). Quit for SWTOR, then stopped MMOs altogether again for an Afghanistan deployment. Came back home for good in late 2013, and stayed MMO-free until finishing my grad school capstone. Got into MoP just in time to beat up but not kill Garrosh. Realized in January that my US guild home of many years was essentially dead, so started fishing around for a guild that raided a bit more seriously but not full hardcore, and yet ended up in one that's downed Blackhand on heroic and is very close to our first Mythic kill.

I have several games yet to catch up on (Witcher 2 & 3, Dragon Age Inquisition, AC Unity) that I haven't because of my completionist addiction when it comes to WoW achievements. Though I have been dabbling with Hearthstone and Heroes of the Storm a bit.
Era
Sat Jun 20, 2015 5:44 am

Re: Where are we all now? Catch up!

Skye1013 wrote:And to prevent confusion (Era)... I'm in/from the US :P


The US, in the state of Hawaii? (going by your profile here)

I've been considering to go to Hawaii once the Japanese summer is over (which is never, but maybe November). Having moved to Japan, I'm now closer than I've ever been. It's a ridiculously long flight from Norway, but going from Japan seems reasonable.
Skye1013
Sat Jun 20, 2015 2:15 pm

Re: Where are we all now? Catch up!

I'm here for another two years. In the military, so I've bounced around from place to place. I'm originally from Texas (Dallas area.) The weather is pretty decent... but I get tired of it never getting cold. If you like to party... Waikiki is full of places for that. Lots of beach options for swimming, surfing, tanning, boating, probably fishing, snorkeling, diving, etc. A number of mountains you can hike and that's just the things on Oahu. Haven't been to the other islands, but I'm sure there is even more fun to be had.

Oh... and believe it or not, there is an ice skating rink.
Barathorn
Tue Jun 23, 2015 12:32 am

Re: Where are we all now? Catch up!

So in a bizarre turn of events I have started playing WoW again. It would seem I have a very well geared level 90 [Horde] and a lot of well geared level 85's [Alliance.

Started levelling my paladin last night from 85, likely to buy the expansion at some point. Are garrisons as cool as they look?
Nooska
Tue Jun 23, 2015 1:12 am

Re: Where are we all now? Catch up!

Garrisons feel cool, but can be tedious if you are a completionist (tip; don't take it so seriously when you get there, do whatever, and do garrison stuff when you are in the garrison anyway)
Era
Tue Jun 23, 2015 2:16 am

Re: Where are we all now? Catch up!

Nooska wrote:tip; don't take it so seriously when you get there, do whatever, and do garrison stuff when you are in the garrison anyway


This! Neglecting my Garrison has made me enjoy the Garrison more. :P I never do the gathering stuff, and check my missions maybe once a day on one or two characters. Doing everything every day on every character will be the end of you.
Arnock
Sat Sep 12, 2015 2:37 pm

Re: Where are we all now? Catch up!

I recently joined a vanilla private server, Nostalrius

I've never played on a private server before, and I'm surprised how active it is. There are way more people online than I ever see back on Llane, and people are actively engaged in the game, not just sitting afk in capitals/garrisons.
Shoju
Tue Oct 13, 2015 11:58 am

Re: Where are we all now? Catch up!

Where am I.

I'm in the same town. I bought a house, got old, play a few games (mostly XB360, and a mobile game Darkness Reborn). I'm writing a fair bit, and building an e-commerce empire out of the items that I buy from the government that they bought with your tax dollars.

I'm also working on my second bachelor's degree, which would allow me to substitute teach, and possibly teach vocational type classes.
Njall
Wed Oct 14, 2015 10:26 am

Re: Where are we all now? Catch up!

Lving in Southern Maine these days. Where I heat the house with wood. Commuting down to Boston each day. Can't find decent work closer and these days, I'm too tired to look with any diligence. The oldest is in 4th grade in the correct year, which is amazing, considering his handicaps. The youngest is in 1st grade.

As of today, I have a bathroom in the basement that I have been working on since April.