Skip to content
Maintankadin

Best alt for tankadin?

Pizbit
Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:13 am
Hehe, I'm a glutton for punishment and leveled my shaman resto 1-70!
...then I went and leveled my pally 1-70 prot Very Happy
_________________
Turumbar
Thu Dec 27, 2007 8:55 am
Why limit yourself to one?

Since hitting 70 on my Paladin, I've gotten a Shadow Priest, a Combat Sword Rogue and a Frost Mage to 70. My next project is a Fury Warrior who is 65 right now.

I find each class enjoyable in it's own way (I also have a 31 Warlock, 30 Hunter, 19 Druid and a 9 Shaman that I intend to level at some point).
_________________
Turumbar - Paladin - 70
Lightbringer
Kitria
Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:03 am
70 Protection Paladin (main)
70 Shadow Priest
70 Restoration Druid
70 Fury Warrior
70 Fire Mage
70 Beast Mastery Hunter

and some other random lower level ones.

I've tried out every major type of spec on all of them except for Arms/MS on the warrior and survival on the hunter. If you're looking for a fun alt to play that will net you a good farmbot, go with hunter. If you want to have some more AoE fun try out a mage. Duo mages tear stuff up. Lock, Rogue, and Shaman are all pretty fun, but I haven't had the chance to work on them much.
_________________
kalbear
Thu Dec 27, 2007 10:53 am
Wow. Thanks for all the replies. Smile

I won't be able to level more than one alt reasonably; I don't have that much time to play. I would like something that plays well with the mage but does more DPS than normal, and I'd like something that isn't going to be put into the tanking role. I already did the prot pally (me)/lock (her); this time I'd like to do something a bit more shooty.

I was really leaning towards shaman or priest. I like not being shoehorned into only one role and having a healer when paired up with someone else can be a real help. It sounds like a priest is a bit easier to play, and that'd be nice after playing a tank for a while.

Turumbar
Thu Dec 27, 2007 11:48 am
Maybe you should be a Smite Priest.

They heal better than a shadow priest when you want to heal, and they do more damage than you'd think.
_________________
Turumbar - Paladin - 70
Lightbringer
kalbear
Thu Dec 27, 2007 12:22 pm
Heh. I think I'm done playing offspecs for a little while. :p Honestly, I have no idea about smite priests at all. I'll look into it.
Exodius
Thu Dec 27, 2007 2:27 pm
I have a 70 CoH Holy priest. I was CoH before it was cool. Razz

My first "main" was a warlock, I played him because I met some friendly players and we would hang out a lot together.

Then I made the priest, because no one could heal properly and I wanted to show people how to do it.

Then I worked on a druid, but the call to heal was too strong...

Insert a lot of other alt stories here...

I now have my tanking paladin, my super healing priest, and my crappy old warlock is 70 now too.

I just can't get dps roles all that well. I find with Pugs, you have a tank, a healer, and 3 dps. In any given non-heroic pug you will likely have 2-4 horrible other players...

It's just if you are the tank or healer, you can cover up other peoples awfulness better. Sad

I also like the role of helping people. That's mainly filled by a tank or healer. It's harder to wrap around my head doing that as dps. Confused

...

A holy priest, even my 41 point one, can do a whole lot of burst damage though, a lot more than people expect.

Ves (my priest) usually does more dps than Mardok my warlock, though Ves does have uber (dps) gear (heroic/raid hand me downs) compared to Mardok's so so (non heroic) gear.

When you combine the innate critting power and mana regen that a holy priest has with the lack of holy resist mobs have, it's actually quite a bit of a punch. And that's not as a "holy warrior" priest spec, nor is it with dps only gear collected. Razz

Holy fire, smite, Shadow word pain, mind blast, smite or holy fire again, shadow word death will kill most mobs... within about 15 seconds. That's fast for a non-dps class. Shocked

I just had to get over the whole "holy priest is crap dps" propoganda that shadow priests feed everyone. It's complete rubbish when you sit down and look at it. I levelled 1-70 as holy and did not find it slow at all. Razz

Maybe since I've learnt how to tank I have learnt how to dps better on Ves with hit and crit theory and all that. I'm enjoying taking him out and doing dailies and stuff now, and it makes a nice change from AoE tanking. Yeah, I die, not as often as you would think though, and it's nice to have a fear of mobs sometimes. Very Happy
_________________

Invisusira
Thu Dec 27, 2007 2:33 pm
How often does everyone play their alts? I know it's dramatically different from person to person.

I myself pretty much just stick to my main and very rarely play on my alts. I mean, my goal for Atraira is 70 by the time Wrath of the Lich King comes out, lol. Atraira, who I invested ungodly amounts of time in. Atraira, whose picture you're looking at if you look up the Arcanist or Netherwind sets on Thottbot.

Atraira, who is now my AH/Port-bot!
_________________
armory | youtube | stuff
Warrender
Thu Dec 27, 2007 4:02 pm
I pretty much never ever play my alts once I get them to 70. I use and abuse their crafting and farming skills to further my Pally main.
_________________
Lakirby
Thu Dec 27, 2007 5:36 pm
Playing my squidface quite a bit at the moment, trying to get to 70 or as close as possible while we're on a break from raiding. Smile

She'll ding 61 tomorrow.
_________________

Ereur
Fri Dec 28, 2007 7:53 am
My alt is a Pally, call me odd.
_________________

Turumbar
Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:05 am
I probably play alts more than I play my main currently.

Probably the only reason I consider my Paladin my main is because of the total amount of time played and the fact that he's the character I raid on.

I do use the proceeds from my alts to keep my Paladin fully stocked up with raid consumables though.
_________________
Turumbar - Paladin - 70
Lightbringer
Ardaic
Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:23 am
My poor rogue is my first char and now my least-played main. I brought him over to Sentinels, but his gear was liquidated once or twice (search for Mikedh to see how butchered his current gear is). I would play him, but at level 45 I've lost track of what his questing areas are.

The main i'm actually playing more frequently is my level 12 shaman - I'm taking her elemental, and think i'm going to love every minute of it.
_________________
Erendis
Fri Dec 28, 2007 8:39 am
Hunter is worth the consideration as both they and pallys can solo quests much too hard for their level. Thats why I felt best playing a pally as my alt: survivabilty in PvE that is almost as good as a hunter (b/c hunters can Feign).

Next project for me is leveling 1-70 balance druid. Using spells and healing and melee combat all at once with shape changes while not easy is a lot of fun so far.
_________________
Bow and Shield Blog