Skip to content
Maintankadin

Warlords of Draenor

Klaudandus
Wed Nov 13, 2013 10:47 pm

Re: Warlords of Draenor

Heck, they should have more characters after Time Travel movies or series.
- Doctor Who
- Back to the Future
- Looper
- Terminator
- Life on Mars
- Bill & Ted
- Quantum Leap
- Star Trek
- The Time Machine
- Donnie Darko
- 12 Monkeys
Sagara
Wed Nov 13, 2013 11:56 pm

Re: Warlords of Draenor

Kelerei wrote:
Paxen wrote:If you actually think about it, the whole alternate timeline thing started in patch 4.3, not 6.0. ;)


If you've read the WoWInsider TFH article, this may be more true than we realize: in 4.3, in the face of the Cataclysm, Nozdormu did something he never had done before, something he actually blames the Infinite for trying to do: he changed the course of history by removing (even for the smallest of times) the Dragon Soul.

Of course, Nozdormu lost his powers not long after that, but time-based powers are far from gone from the world - the Timeless Isle saw to that. And whom *did* we find all busy out there? Kairoz, one bronze dragon with seriously shifty motives and story.

I'm starting to believe that averting the Cataclysm has had a deeper impact on the world than we imagined. And not wanting to sound like an alarmist, how much have we heard about those since Cata?

a) the Emerald Dream
b) Azeroth's ley lines

And a frightening:

c) uhn, what was Alextrasza overseeing again?
Fetzie
Thu Nov 14, 2013 4:59 am

Re: Warlords of Draenor

Alexstrasza was the warden of life, both humanoid and plant, and skimpy armour bikinis.
Sagara
Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:42 am

Re: Warlords of Draenor

Fetzie wrote:Alexstrasza was the warden of life, both humanoid and plant, and skimpy armour bikinis.


That was a *rethorical* question :(
Klaudandus
Thu Nov 14, 2013 6:40 am

Re: Warlords of Draenor

i like the warden of bikini armor thing
Fetzie
Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:16 am

Re: Warlords of Draenor

Klaudandus wrote:i like the warden of bikini armor thing


I thought you would :)
Sagara
Thu Nov 14, 2013 7:30 am

Re: Warlords of Draenor

I remember the first time I met Alex-whomamma at Wyrmrest. Told to my wife:

"I just realized I'm perfect HSS* size for her."
"Pig."

* If you are not fluent with that euphemism, PM me.
Ruldar
Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:45 am

Re: Warlords of Draenor

Really unimpressed with the "no flying until 6.1" idea. Here's to an expansion where for the first 3-4 months almost everyone is going to hit max level and just hang out in the cities queued up.
bldavis
Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:55 am

Re: Warlords of Draenor

idk about you, but i will be getting the professions i need leveled! lol
KysenMurrin
Thu Nov 14, 2013 8:58 am

Re: Warlords of Draenor

Ruldar wrote:Really unimpressed with the "no flying until 6.1" idea. Here's to an expansion where for the first 3-4 months almost everyone is going to hit max level and just hang out in the cities queued up.

Do you think the combination of 5.1-style progressive storylines and Timeless-isle style content won't attract people out into the world at max level?

I can't say I'm all that bothered by the idea of not flying at all. They've already been cutting off flying in the patch content areas, and don't let players fly while levelling, or in dungeons, or in pvp... I guess the main annoyance would be for gathering professions.

(Note also that they're eliminating queuing for Flex raids, so new Normal and Heroic both require you to travel.)
Era
Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:11 am

Re: Warlords of Draenor

Ruldar wrote:Really unimpressed with the "no flying until 6.1" idea. Here's to an expansion where for the first 3-4 months almost everyone is going to hit max level and just hang out in the cities queued up.


I don't mind the idea, but then again I'm currently on a raiding break. For raiders, make sure to have dibs on NOT being the guy who runs to the summoning stone! :P
Ruldar
Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:16 am

Re: Warlords of Draenor

KysenMurrin wrote:Do you think the combination of 5.1-style progressive storylines and Timeless-isle style content won't attract people out into the world at max level?


Yeah, I could be wrong about that, it's not like I can claim I'm avoiding the Timeless Isle or anything. I just can't help but remember how I leveled my mage recently. Until he could fly, he just sat in a city and queued for randoms. Same with my warlock back in the spring.

I guess its a question of whether the content that is both available and worthwhile to consume is enough of a temptation to not take the easy road.
halabar
Thu Nov 14, 2013 9:20 am

Re: Warlords of Draenor

Ruldar wrote:Really unimpressed with the "no flying until 6.1" idea. Here's to an expansion where for the first 3-4 months almost everyone is going to hit max level and just hang out in the cities queued up.


Well, with all the exploration content they want you to do, it's always a bit unfair that someone with the time can powerlevel and own the skys for a week or two, sucking up the rares and hidden treasures and such.

This will also help keep the bots in check, and prevent the power-levelers from owning the mats markets as well.

It's not really so bad that Blizz is saying, "slow down and enjoy the content..."
Era
Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:01 am

Re: Warlords of Draenor

From an effectiveness perspective, I can understand that people are frustrated by the no-fly thing. But at the same time, that min/max hyper-effective attitude is probably the number one killer for players feeling burnt out. My favourite zone in the game remains Vashj'ir, and I'm not entirely unconvinced it's not because I was forced to go around it slowly and take in the atmosphere. They've got some pretty amazing world designers in this game!

I understand the "just queue, why bother questing" aspect too, though. There are things they could/should do with questing to make it more interesting. When doing Loremaster, I found that reading the quest text made it so much more interesting - but also, of course, a lot slower. It's hard to care about the "whys" of the game when you're trying to hit the level cap as quickly as possible, but I do really think having an engaging story is something even the most hardcore questers care about. Somewhere, deep within their caffeine-riddled souls. :P

I'm a huge fan of the way random lore is presented through books in Diablo III, I think that's a splendid way of doing things. For those who aren't familiar with it, you randomly find books/letters and things containing small bits of lore - and when you click them, the text pops up in a window and they get read out to you by a voice actor. You can close the text, and also stop the voice (separately) at any time, and access them later in an archive. You can go about your questing, yet get the lore fed to you by characters you get a closer bond to through hearing their voice.

So perhaps we could have a similar system for at least the larger, main-storyline quests? Each quest hub should have one main quest with voice so that you can happily accept all the other quests at once without having to wait for the voice dude to finish. Say, when you get to a new quest hub there'll only be one quest available. As you accept it, the voice starts going and a few other quests pop up nearby. The voice tells you all you need to know about why you're doing these quests in this hub! If you want to know more about the individual quests, you can look up their text in your log as you're doing them.

There also really should be an archive to access all the quests you've done. Just the quest name and the quest text, with a simple search feature. Anyone who's done Loremaster in a retrospective manner knows the feeling of trying to figure out where you left off in a zone.. Of course, now there's addons for that! :roll:

Anyway, sorry for the rant, seems I had some pent up creativity.
Have a BSc in IT & Game Design that I'm not using for anything productive because I chose a different path. >_>

halabar wrote:It's not really so bad that Blizz is saying, "slow down and enjoy the content..."


"Sloooow doooooownhhh, life is to be savoured!" - Every Pandaren Ever
Image
KysenMurrin
Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:08 am

Re: Warlords of Draenor

Regarding the last bit about finding where you left off, they did say they're adding icons to the map that show you quest hubs you haven't done yet and markers for where you were up to in a chain.


Personally, I've always preferred to level by questing.
Io.Draco
Thu Nov 14, 2013 10:31 am

Re: Warlords of Draenor

ut at the same time, that min/max hyper-effective attitude is probably the number one killer for players feeling burnt out.


Absolutely true!
Era
Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:35 pm

Re: Warlords of Draenor

KysenMurrin wrote:Regarding the last bit about finding where you left off, they did say they're adding icons to the map that show you quest hubs you haven't done yet and markers for where you were up to in a chain.


Yeah, I've noticed the icons in some places - though I think they might just be for quest hubs you haven't *started* yet? I left off a few hubs in the middle of the chains on my way to 90, and not all of them were as easy to trace back.
Klaudandus
Thu Nov 14, 2013 5:41 pm

Re: Warlords of Draenor

Io.Draco wrote:
ut at the same time, that min/max hyper-effective attitude is probably the number one killer for players feeling burnt out.


Absolutely true!


They claim that about everything...
KysenMurrin
Fri Nov 15, 2013 1:12 am

Re: Warlords of Draenor

Era wrote:
KysenMurrin wrote:Regarding the last bit about finding where you left off, they did say they're adding icons to the map that show you quest hubs you haven't done yet and markers for where you were up to in a chain.


Yeah, I've noticed the icons in some places - though I think they might just be for quest hubs you haven't *started* yet? I left off a few hubs in the middle of the chains on my way to 90, and not all of them were as easy to trace back.

I mean the new system they're adding in WoD.
Era
Fri Nov 15, 2013 3:06 am

Re: Warlords of Draenor

Klaudandus wrote:
Io.Draco wrote:
ut at the same time, that min/max hyper-effective attitude is probably the number one killer for players feeling burnt out.


Absolutely true!


They claim that about everything...


It's like nutrition! EVERYTHING is bad for you, stop eating.

KysenMurrin wrote:I mean the new system they're adding in WoD.


Oh sorry, haven't read about that! Will look it up, thanks.
oldboyz
Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:19 am

Re: Warlords of Draenor

"just queue" is because of raid availability too soon

since BC, players feel urgent to max level to have their seat in a roster.
cause late people will stay at the door or joign mostly "crappy" raid
not to mention that a full level kill any sublevel much much easily

even in MOP, Blizz just fuck it once again


in my opinion, raid should be available at least 3-4 month after a new release
Teranoid
Fri Nov 15, 2013 7:54 am

Re: Warlords of Draenor

in my opinion, raid should be available at least 3-4 month after a new release


This is a terrible idea.
Winkle
Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:00 am

Re: Warlords of Draenor

The game is built around raiding, that's the one thing WoW has going for it which other MMO's seem to really struggle to crack. There designers have been doing it for so long they can really nail that massively multiplayer experience.

I'm not one of these people who run around screaming about un-subbing every 5 mintues but not having a raid on release would really make me question picking up the game.

On the topic of flying: I'm excited about the no fly until 6.1, after reading Blizzards vision in that blue post the other day i'm not sure how people can't be.
Worldie
Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:06 am

Re: Warlords of Draenor

Honestly speaking, the raid release schedule that Blizzard has had with MoP looked perfect to me. I don't see any reason to change it.
bldavis
Fri Nov 15, 2013 8:44 am

Re: Warlords of Draenor

Worldie wrote:Honestly speaking, the raid release schedule that Blizzard has had with MoP looked perfect to me. I don't see any reason to change it.

and fromt he sound of it, WoD is going to be similar, with the 6 boss raid (Highmaul?) being released a week or two after launch, and the 10 boss raid coming a couple weeks after