Skip to content
Maintankadin

We still face discrimination

kalbear
Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:07 am
On a more biased note:

I ran a paladin friend and a couple of other dorks through Ring of Blood. I was pointing out the Mogor's Anointing club and how awesome it was - my friend (the prot pally) grabbed it. The other pally (a shockadin) said 'wow, that does look really great! Thanks!'

a minute later: "Hey...does anyone know where you train maces?"

Lvl 67. Ring of blood.
Spectrum
Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:10 am
Wow, I never expected this to turn into a Hunter-hate thread.

Honestly, the idiots play every class. For example, I never realized how utterly bad many tanks were until I started going outlands instances as a healer instead of a tank. I finally completed Magister's Terrace last night on my druid with a druid tank in blues and greens. The epic druids and warriors could never hold more than one target, resulting in multiple wipes. With this "under-geared" group we one-shot all the bosses except Kael'thas.

I think it's hard to notice bad players sometimes, especially the DPS. I've out-damaged mages and warlocks with much better gear than me with my resto spec and some SD gear. Last weekend there was a warlock who insisted that multiple DoTs was the most effective AE DPS for Shattered Halls and got mad at me for "telling [her] how to play her class". The reason I installed damage meters was just so I could see which of the DPS was actually contributing.

Sometimes I almost feel bad playing my hunter because I know we have a terrible reputation. However, on my healer I love having a good hunter in the group because I know if they're paying attention they can protect me from a bad tank. I never felt more safe as a healer than the time I ran SV with three hunters.

All that said, I should download badapples. I hate the idea of putting a bad player on my friends list just so I can put a note to avoid them. And I don't want to go so far as muting or ignoring.
_________________
No really, I'm not addicted.

"The skill-gear curve is steep for small values of skill."

http://armorylite.com/us/Silvermoon/Spectrum
Elvidnir
Mon Jul 21, 2008 10:36 am
0/0/61 is just...horrible.
_________________
МОΛΏΝ ΛΑΒΈ
KZ 11/11, ZA 6/6, GL 2/2, ML 1/1, SC 5/6, TK 3/4, MH 4/5, BT 3/8
Amirya
Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:38 am
The thing is, bad hunters give them all a bad name. And people tend to remember the badly played classes more than the well played.

My senior officer is adamant we not recruit hunters. We've picked up three over the last three weeks, and two are good. I'm told I'm a good hunter too (by a well respected warrior tank, who said he was pleasantly surprised that I was good at what I did, and knew how to chain trap).

But we've seen the bad ones too.

I have two that I'm probably going to give basic training to - one is another officer's alt, who is so discouraged by the bad rep hunters have, it's a battle to get her levelled past 40. Another is a brand new one who wants the help (and she's wearing Eagle greens, and has this really weird hybrid BM/MM build).

But when hunters are used right/played right, they are some of the best things I can see in a party. Kara with two good hunters = lots of MD love.
_________________

11/11 Karazhan; 2/2 Gruul's Lair; 1/1 Magtheridon's Lair; 1/6 Zul'Aman
Vanifae
Mon Jul 21, 2008 11:39 am
I quit this game because I suck as paladin tank.
_________________
Dimitry
Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:42 pm
More hunter nonsense: After wiping on High King Maulgar (actually about half the raid getting out alive) at least 5 or 6 times, for a raid that was supposedly on farm...

Mage Tank: "I'm sorry guys, I just don't know what's happening. I can't seem to spellsteal Krosh's shield."

Raid Leader: "Ok people, what's going on? Is someone else stealing it, using mass dispel, or arcane shot?"

Hunter: "Arcane shot? Yeah, that's in my shot rotation. Is that a problem?"

edit: typo
_________________
3/24/08 -- LVL 70
kalbear
Mon Jul 21, 2008 12:47 pm
Our hunter lead used arcane shot on our first couple of attempts on Council. It took us a while to figure out why our mage just couldn't spellsteal the thing.
Liesha
Wed Jul 23, 2008 2:31 am
I was playing on my Warlock, a couple of weeks ago while my guild went to kara (I have stepped back abit from raids to let other tanks get geared up, as there is very little gear bar badges i want/need). They where facing prince, with a not so well geared war, and had lost a dpser, so summon later and i turned up to help out on my lock.

As I normally raid lead, I have grimreaper, wws, damagemetes et al, running, to let me see when leading where the problems with the raid are. Joined for a go .. wipe (I pulled threat on my Lock with only immolate up:/) anyway checked the tanks average threat, 400tps... looked again, yup thats it... thinking that threat even on a poorly geared tank should be higher than that (which it should of cause) went to have a go at the tank.. then stopped

In the raid were 3 hunters, 1 mage, 2 warlocks, 2 priests, a druid, a war. Realised that with Misdirects from 3 hunters there is no way on earth that the tank should have had that little tps, he could have gone to the WC and still had more threat than that.

Asked on TS, if the hunters had used MD

answer 1 "nobodies ever told me i should do that"
answer 2 "Not sure I trained that"

and no comment at all fromt he 3rd hunter...

(having said that the first hunter has got much better at it in the last couple of weeks, and was even sorting the other hunters into MD targets in ZA this week..)
Ruex
Wed Jul 23, 2008 3:13 am
All the frusteration i have heard from you guys for doing High King Mulgar honestly kills me. Hell, me and My other hunter buddy tank the Shaman in the fight, and usually get him down before the others can drop the mage or warlock.

It fills me with joy when I nail a nice fat Aimed shot crit on a tank for the MD, followed by a Steady crit and Distracting shot...

Spent a few mins yesterday chatting with a guy asking in general if it was worth it to get the s2 gavel from PVP as a pali-tank. I told him "hell yes!"
Spent a few mins talking to him, then he said.. "are you sure its good? it doesnt look like a tank weapon: not alot of dmg and it adds spell dmg and stuff."

/Face Palm.
...He was lvl 70 too.

Told him to come here and read the forums. Hope he does...
I'm not Racist or sexist.. I'm an IQ-ist.
_________________

Erendis
Wed Jul 23, 2008 4:09 am
A well played hunter should be jockeying for the top of the DPS charts. And that is without the stacked groups that rogues demand. That should be reason enough to take them.

However, there aren't many well played Hunters. I don't know how many Hunters ask me for advice to which my follow up question is "What is your shot rotation?" and their follow up question is "wat?"

And the idea of paladin prejudice. I was in a Gruuls PuG couple days ago. They get to assigning tanks for HKM. They finish assigning and I have nothing to tank. Why did they invite me (5th invite) if they didn't want me to tank? I guess warriors with lesser gear make better tanks? BS.
_________________

xuldinga
Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:23 am
I am having an issue with my guild accepting a prot pally as a tank. The guild leader is main is a newly 70 warrior who's leveled his whole way through as a fury/arms mix, and now he decides to tank. However this often leads to my lvl 66 prot pally getting regulated to healer. The nice part is at least I get all the plate gear with + spell damn, the bad part is dishing out half-assed heals with a toon that’s been tanking since mid 30’s. When I mentioned that maybe I should respect holy since I have to heal all the time I was told “no, it’s ok. You can just off tank”. He's not bad per se, just doesn't tank well (can only hold aggro on one guy, bad pulls). I don't know warriors well enough to offer advice beyond tanking concepts and people often don't take kindly to being told how to play their class.
_________________
Wrath/LvL 65 Dra Prot Pally/Drak'Thul
Malthorn
Wed Jul 23, 2008 6:55 am
So great that this turned into a "h8 tah huntard" thread.

Want to play a really stupid thing? Spec as a holy pally. OMG so hard, stand there and spam heals.

Playing both a hunter and pally I can say both require skill to play correctly. And yes ofc there are a lot of idiots out there, but newsflash... idiots even play on pallies.
_________________

Spectrum
Wed Jul 23, 2008 9:27 am
It kills me when people think we need an off-tank for content we over-gear. Particularly when dps druids and warriors in my group see us pull three mobs at once in a heroic and go into panic mode thinking they need to offtank. I have to calm them down a little and let them know it's okay, and that it is easier on the healer if all the mobs are on me and they don't have to waste mana on someone with less mitigation.
_________________
No really, I'm not addicted.

"The skill-gear curve is steep for small values of skill."

http://armorylite.com/us/Silvermoon/Spectrum