Belloc wrote:If you're not willing to politely and adequately sell yourself, you probably aren't all that interested in joining the group in the first place, are you?
Goreon is saying that it doesn't matter how much I want to sell myself. He's not listening. If they're willing to talk about it, I can get in about every time.
Personally, I get in enough raids, so I don't really have an issue, but the absurdity of it all makes me post, really. Absurdities like the 'achievement-checked' Sarth anecdote, or the two times in the last week I was told that my 219/226 tank that can do Northrend Beasts "isn't good enough" for Emalon-10, and the group ended up breaking up before they found a tank. In fact, I got in another run, tanked the adds, got my badges, and one of the groups was still looking for a tank. I guess, true, it is the RL's prerogative, but, I'm not sure that they're getting any better raid when they're done. Not that I've seen yet.
when they can't just say "hey i dont have this achieve but I've read up on the fights and I know what to do".
I can even tell them that my main, <name> has the achievement, and I've done the fight X times, and have this loot from it on my main, if you just look. You and I would be fine. I'm not bringing my main, because this is Naxx, and my main outgrew it months ago. Better?
I only use that addon for people who don't want to talk about it. If they want to talk about it, then it's no big deal. I use the addon on the really absurd ones, and I usually do it to make a point. By the time the achievement I don't have goes off, I'm already doing better than half the raid, so they don't kick me. You can be unhappy about it, but, it works to get past those that think achievements are better than asking questions.
'Free ride'? No, I contribute. Look at the achievement-checked DK in the corner dead, after doing 800 DPS till he blew up in the middle of the raid on Grobbulus, who I healed up the damage from that's getting a free ride. I'm cleaning up after him.
I also should clarify: I'm talking about people who do this for Naxx and heroics. I'm not really talking about Ulduar so much for pugs. I bring my main to Ulduar, every time, and gear/achievements aren't an issue. It's the absurdity of what people want for Naxx and heroics that makes me post on threads about this subject. It's all such a waste of time, but, people don't see it. I get in these raids, whether I talk to the raidleader and he's cool and lets me in, or he doesn't want to talk, and I decide to make a point, fix an achievement, get in, and then outperform his 'pros', and laugh when I get the real achievement. I never take free rides. That's all those other idiots that I and the other 'scrubs' pick up the slack for.