Skip to content
Maintankadin

priest healing questions

Zironic
Wed Feb 25, 2009 10:56 am
A fully raid buffed holy paladin should have about 1728,1 attack power which means sheath will give 518 spellpower compared to 1300ish intellect which gives 260 spellpower with Holy guidance.

So that means a well geared Sheath of Light paladin will be at about 2400 spellpower and a well geared deep holy will be at about 2200.

The holydin will heal noncrit for 9876,16 average noncrit and the retridin
averages 10248.

So far the holydin has a large hps advantage (9876/1.5=6584) > (10248/2.2=4658).

However once you add their 43% critrate and the fact the ret crits for 2.4x and the holy 1.5x you end up with

6584*0,57+6584*1,5*0,43=7999 hps
4658*0,57+4658*2,4*0,43=7462 hps

Seems the throughput is actually a bit lower but the efficiency is a lot higher.

Note, I forgot to account for 8% raid buffed spellhaste and the 280 spellpower from totem of wrath and cba to redo the math.
_________________
Dorvan
Wed Feb 25, 2009 11:02 am
However, you've also failed to account for DI, and for the fact that Sheaths are going to be constantly overwriting one another, so you're not actually getting anywhere near 2.4x crits.

In short, "if you're single target healing you might as well be sheath spec" is bunk. I never said you shouldn't use beacon at all (if nothing else, it should be on yourself or a random raid member for some free raid healing), but rather that it's reasonable to assign a Holy Pally to tank healing where the vast majority of their job is spamming HL on the tank.
_________________


WHAT WOULD BEST DESCRIBE YOUR PERSONALITY?
Moonlight Sonata Techno Remix
Petrus
Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:11 pm
I'm curious how to help my priest friend improve his healing - I'll try to get a WWS log to post. We did kel'thuzad on Monday and had a few dps die to stupid stuff early on (hi, void zones) and ended up 7-manning him. We ran 2 holy paladin 1 priest (I was one of the two healing paladins that time). The priest died at about 25-30%, but I still did over 60% of the healing in the fight on my own. The other paladin is in blues/naxx10 epics and I'm in almost full Naxx25 epics in my holy set, but should the disparity really be that large?

Edit: my priest friend only did about 15% of the healing and he hates using CoH. Almost never uses it because "it only heals for a little bit and it always seems so useless except in aoe situations.
_________________

Zironic
Wed Feb 25, 2009 1:22 pm
Due to the high amounts of overhealing paladins do skill has a much much larger role then gear when it comes to how well it goes on the healing meters, you probably heal a lot more aggressively then the other paladin does.

I'd point your priest to the EJ forums where they'll show him how to get some more throughput.
_________________
Nemuria
Fri Feb 27, 2009 1:18 am
afaik gear has still something to do with healing. The priest yesterday had quest greens and some blues (I swear it's my last PuG)

12Khp/16Kmana unbuffed

fortunately he could play. We 4 manned Heigan in 21min, like I usually read out there. But Maexxna was a wipe as soon as I got cocooned.
He died 2 times during the fight on Razzuvious because of low HP - is there some priest battle rez?. But overall the "technique" completes well (multitarget,instants hots + single target spam)

I just hope that priests in general gear a little bit up. Maybe there is too much competition between clothies drop, while spell power plate=> paladin.
_________________
Nemuria
Fri Feb 27, 2009 5:13 am
She died twice I topped her life. Maybe it was engineering since I heard someone saying " I have my trinket" but it was hard to get with all the screaming.
_________________