Skip to content
Maintankadin

Knowing when the healer is a bad one...

Brandiss
Wed Aug 08, 2007 10:45 pm

Knowing when the healer is a bad one...

Just yesterday, I've tanked yet once again in Shadowlaby, but that was the most painful run I've ever done. We had one healer, a lvl70 Nature druid, obviously seen by the tree form.
During the run, ppl were b*tching around like hell at me wondering why I couldn't tank Blackheart right or stay alive vs all first 3 bosses. Just at the beginning , I've noticed several things on the healer.

He only had green spelldmg stuff on and only did 2k critheals. Talk about bad equip. I was too shy to kick him but it looks like I should have.

Do you actually kick ppl immediately when you notice bad equipped healer?
_________________
Tankadin lvl70
Das Syndikat - EU
eia
Wed Aug 08, 2007 11:02 pm
I don't, but I'm a softie too. :p
I tend to judge more by how well they play though. You didn't say if it was heroic or not, but if it was a normal run, he should've been able to heal you in green gear really...
_________________
Eia - 70 Paladin, EU-Silvermoon
Turning healers' mana into blue rage since Dec 2006.
Klimpen
Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:15 am
I usually find it's easier to overgear everything you do. Slightly, if you want more damage intake. Moreso if you want to mitigate as much as possible.

I've tanked the first boss in SV without a healer because a DPS ninja-pulled while the healer was afk (100-0%). I wouldn't've been able to do that if I didn't overgear the instance.

The major difference between Warriors and Paladins in farmed content is that Pallies can easily up the pace, while warriors are naturally restricted by mechanics. There's a lot of good gear you can get outside of Instace drops, I think I'm wearing ~4-5 pieces of dropped gear, the rest is crafted/rep/quest rewards, and I'm fairly geared to the teeth.

In response to your question, a bad healer can't heal you when they have pressure put on them. A boss or large pull, for example. If you die, when you're holding aggro, it's the healers fault. No question, but within reason. I find a three strike rule helps with people. Things like Pyro->PoM+Pyro ninja pulls count as three strikes more often than not. Things like letting you die while they're at full/high mana under reasonable circumstances is a strike. DPS doing less damage than me on a boss is a strike.

Though only you can know when you should get yourself out of an unfun situation.
_________________
Thels
Thu Aug 09, 2007 1:28 am
When I see the Druid go tree in a 5 man instance I'm already worried.

Treeform is support healing, not mainhealing. Some druids with good gear can pull it off, but it's far less effective than humanoid form except for a select few encounters.
_________________


Zoe's guide to building your tankadin
Brandiss
Thu Aug 09, 2007 2:46 am
Yeah sorry
It was normal shadow labs, not heroic =)

He did "heal good", his reaction was great, but those heals were babyheals. I've come to the conclusion that he just started on switching to healer from boomkin. Note that he had spelldmg gear ^^

But I'm with Thels' opinion. Holy pally or priest would have done better at that point. Just sort of sucks to tell ppl "hey, I see your gear sucks kinda. Go awai" hehe.

Thing is also because of the darn healjob he did, the "tankadin rep" on my server just went down again.
_________________
Tankadin lvl70
Das Syndikat - EU
Thels
Thu Aug 09, 2007 4:19 am
HoT's don't cover burst damage. If you get an unlucky streak of hits, then it takes quite a bit for those hots to get you back up. A single HT does wonders at such moments.
_________________


Zoe's guide to building your tankadin
Tats
Thu Aug 09, 2007 5:05 am
trees are fine in most 5-mans, and offhealing in bigger raids. as far as heroics/mainhealing goes, tree is pretty bad. even a well geared druid that knows what hes doing is not going to handle 6k spikes with swiftmend. while they could easily swap forms, if you are forced to do it too often, it kind of negates the purpose of spending 20 extra points in resto Wink

a lot of raid druids will spec 33/0/28 for ht's and dreamstate, rank 7 ht specced for it is an enormously efficient heal Wink

as far as kicking people, i don't generally pug unless its a non-essential dps. if i do have to pug a healer, i always armory them and tell them if they suck, they are gone.
Perfidious
Thu Aug 09, 2007 5:14 am
Personally, if someone isn't doing there job properly whether it's due to poor gear or poor skill, I replace them instantly. No questions asked.

But then, I'm a dikhet.

(A dikhet with a lot of people who like running with me though, so replacements are easy Wink)
Tats
Thu Aug 09, 2007 5:32 am
well, i feel i have the right to discuss resto tactics, considering i have a resto druid doing mag every week ;P

i never said trees cant heal. on the contrary, they can heal, and they can do it well. its not discriminatory saying a tree druid cant handle spike damage. i mean, its just like saying a paladin cant tank magic immune mobs, its not an insult, its just the facts Wink
Thels
Thu Aug 09, 2007 5:49 am
Dreamstate is really nice for 5 mans, as well as Karazhan. However, in 25 man raids, Trees start to shine. In Raids, you can just keep tossing all those hots around and count on the Paladins and Priests to toss the required big heals, helping with your emergency instaheals where you can.

Not that it means everything, but it's something every single Resto druid in the guild also agrees on, while the Locks are always discussing if Affliction or Destruction is better. Then again, I know a lot more about Druid healing than Warlock DPS, so I'm pretty lost in the latter discussion anyhow.

I just notice that with a Tree druid with me, I'm on the virge of death a lot more than with other healers, and I'm really happy I respecced to AD at such moments.
_________________


Zoe's guide to building your tankadin