Skip to content
Maintankadin

Profession for a new paladin?

Talryn
Mon Aug 20, 2007 7:47 am

Profession for a new paladin?

I just started leveling a paladin and I've been Protection since level 1. I'm currently at level 40.

I know the question comes up quite a bit and is subject to personal preference, but I'm wondering what professions are recommended right now.

I have mining but would like to pick up a second crafting profession. I've held off and saved the ore and stones until I decide. I think the difficulty is the current state of crafting professions. Engineering provides a good tanking and healing helm along with the stamina trinket. I know from having engineering on a warrior that I used the bombs when I had them but wasn't motivated to make them after leveling it up.

I like Blacksmithing and it would really be useful while leveling up, but at the high end it provides very little of value.

I have never done jewelcrafting and I'm interested in taking it sometime but the trinkets aren't very impressive and even worse they have reputation requirements. While you can get the reputation for them, they aren't that bad, you stand a good chance of getting equivalent trinkets from instances before you get to the required reputation levels.

I haven't heard that many details but it seems to me that they may change the professions in the next expansion and I would guess that BS and JC might be more attractive options. I guess I just prefer to level a profession and stick with it. I'm not sure I want to level engineering just for now (to get the helm and trinket) and then switch later.

Anyone in a similar position or have any advice on this choice?

Thanks.
eia
Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:00 am
If I'm correctly informed, the engineering trinkets are getting changed in 2.2 to not have any stamina at all on them any longer.
I've been to busy to bother logging on to the test realm though, so I can't confirm it myself.
_________________
Eia - 70 Paladin, EU-Silvermoon
Turning healers' mana into blue rage since Dec 2006.
Igrado
Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:02 am
Gonna agree with Lore and Vanifae on the Engineering.

Although there are some badass Blacksmithing patterns that can drop.

And if you prefer, enchanting is a nice one. Always have the option to DE drops no one wants, and good access to the mats you need for enchants you need.

I went JC, but wish that I hadn't as its gotten me only 1 BOP trinket. It's so easy to just get a gem cut for you for a small tip, theres no reason to waste an entire profession on it really.

Damn, now I'm thinking of dropping JC Sad
_________________

An Officers Guide to the Paladin Tank
Guillex
Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:05 am
Just like myself, Iggy... Though for me it's Alchemy/Herbalism.

Drop Herbs for Eng? Possibly spend the time leveling Enchanting too? More money from drops in BT? Sad Sooo many choices... head... about to ... implode
_________________

"The greatest trick the devil ever pulled was convincing the world he did not exist."
-Verbal Kint
Lore
Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:14 am
>.>
<.<

shhhhh

Haven't seen anything about the stam on the engineering trinkets either, though.
_________________
Me, LOL!
Darthpaxis
Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:18 am
Unless you have a 70 former Main now alt laying around to feed you cash. My personal advice is to keep two gathering professions until level 70 then Grind out the crafting of your choice. I would say Skinning and Mining with a bank alt at thunderbluff to do all your AH of the supplies you get. There is nothing pre 70 that you have to have from any crafting skill. There a few nice items but nothing that is "BOP have to have".
_________________
Xanatos
Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:26 am
May want to consider the new epic BOP gems that JCs can cut soon. Falling Star (18 stam) is sweet. And yes, I know it's unique but 6 stam extra is a nice bonus. Not to mention the other BOP epic gems besides Falling Star.

I'm a JC and I never regretted it. Dropped mining once my JC was maxed to take up enchanting for the rings. Bank space didn't allow me to try levelling engineering with a ready stockpile of mats...
_________________
Magnusharkov
Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:29 am
I levelled as smithing/mining and then swapped out mining for engineering at 70. Worked ok for me.

Personally I'd be tempted by just levelling 2 gathering professions though as stated above
_________________
Lore
Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:43 am
It is indeed a 2.2 thing.
_________________
Me, LOL!
Odius
Mon Aug 20, 2007 8:48 am
I'm sticking with smithing just so I can make the boots of the protector and the red havoc boots when I get the plans. Also with specializing in macecrafting I'm gonna build myself a 2H mace for when I PvP. I think it all comes down to preference though.
_________________