Skip to content
Maintankadin

Tankadin Blogs

Lewyn
Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:03 am

Where do I fit in?

So the small guild I joined has finally moved from 10mans to starting 25mans. (Hurrah!) I had a warrior when I joined but the guild had a steady core of warriors so I thought, "Hey, I always wanted to roll a Paladin" and that meant rerolling oh so long ago but not anymore. So I did. So here I am, level 70 with respectable tanking gear. I've MT and OTed Kara, etc. Mainly because the other tanks had all they needed and brought alts and whatever. Now that we're starting the 25mans, they're back. Namely, a warrior and druid. The warrior is the MT and the druid is an OT. So, where do I fit in? Is it feasible to bring 3 tanks to 25mans such as Gruul, SSC, TK?
QuantumDelta
Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:11 am
You really want (not need, but want) 3 tanks for Maulgar, and the last trash pack prior to Gruul.
You really want (not need, but want) 4-5 tanks for Magtheridon.

You really want 3-5 tanks for Hydross.
You really want 3 tanks for Lurker.
You really want 2 tanks for Morogrim (if you use a Protadin Razz).
You really want 4 tanks for Karathress.
You really want 3 tanks for Leotheras (though you can do it with 1, (or 2 almost as easily)).
You really want 2-3 tanks for Vashj.


You really want 4 tanks for Al'ar.
You really want 2-4 tanks for Voidreaver.
You really want 4 tanks for Solarian (with our tactics anyway guess there's a lot of variable ways to do her).
You really want 2-3 tanks for Kael.

You can tank anything a warrior can.
Period.
*Assuming similar gear
*Assuming you don't get oneshot by Kael's pyro (gear, again).

You can Off-heal when not tanking, but honestly, you're better off with the War getting a nightfall and going pro-debuffer.
jere
Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:12 am
It is very feasable to have 1 of each. I would recommend it for progression flexibility if nothing else.

Many encounters will require multiple tanks, especially in SSC and TK. You will also find that some of your core abilities will make some of the fights much easier if not trivial (Hydross adds, Morogrim murlocs, Leo, Karatheras hunter, Vashj and her elite nagas, Solarian portal spawns, etc.). Also note that you might heal some as well, and that is perfectly ok when needed. I typically either MT Gruul (warrior dps'es) or heal (warrior MT's) depending on how strong the group is in dps/healing that night.

Sometimes you will MT, sometimes you will OT, and sometimes you will heal, but there should always be a place for you as well as for the other tanks.
_________________
QuantumDelta
Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:16 am
Quite true, same applies to magtheridon's roof cave in damage at 20%.

Honestly have no reservations about any task, you can off heal quite well even as prot so long as you don't neglect your gear.
QuantumDelta
Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:19 am
Nope, as long as you bubble after he's started his first pyro all subsequent pyros will be fired at you.

Edit: Information is old but as far as I know still true (Old as in, pre kael nerf).
Lewyn
Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:20 am
that's quite reassuring. As long as I'm not forced to respec Holy and be relegated to healbot for life. =(
QuantumDelta
Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:27 am
Just educate them maturely with the information you find here, it should be fine if your gear is equal to the wars.

There is a point where ferals become distinctly better for some things, but still.
Jonesy
Thu Jan 24, 2008 9:40 am
You will not lose aggro to anyone if you DS through pyroblasts. This is the technique that I used on all of our Kael attempts. The 3 chained pyroblasts count as one spell for the purpose of targetting, so click it off during the third cast and shield through it.
Kitria
Thu Jan 24, 2008 11:33 am
There is a lot for protection paladins to do in 25-man content, for specifics check out the raid zone forums. And there's a lot more tank set-ups out there that aren't War/Pally/Druid. My guild is 2% from 5/6 SSC and 3/4 TK and we run 3 prot warriors, a prot warrior and 2 feral druids. everyone just keeps a dps set handy for when they aren't needed.
_________________