Skip to content
Maintankadin

[Critique please!] :: An Officers guide to Tankadins

Igrado
Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:09 am

[Critique please!] :: An Officers guide to Tankadins

ROUGH DRAFT!

Hello Tankadins.

This is my rough draft. I am looking for your input before "publishing" it as a final draft. This is intended to be BASIC. I am not discussing downranking or HOW to tank, just outlining it for an initial read by non-Tankadins who want or need to learn about Paladin tanks. The Primary focus is for guild and raid leadership. Please feel free to correct grammar and spelling also.

I will edit in changes along the way. Once there has been a few days for discussion I will finalize it and repost it in another thread. Please criticize and suggest. Point out anythng that is missing, hard to understand, or poorly worded. I just want to make sure that in the end it it is still short and sweet.

I imagine some things are missing. Also, does anyone have any suggestion titles? "My Friend is a Paladin Tank : An Officers guide to Tankadins" seems to long.

I would follow this guide with a direct quote of HonorsHammer's post, with appropriate credit and link of course. Here is HH's post
_________________

"And were I e'en to die, the cursed enemy would not tear his gaze from me for fear that I should rise back up."
Igrado
Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:09 am
The following is a short essay on how a Paladin tank works. It is intended to explain to Guild Masters, Raid Leaders, and other friends the basics of Paladin tanking mechanics, our weaknesses, and our strengths. Attached at the bottom is a list compiled by HonorsHammer of some specific 25-man raid scenarios where a Paladin is particularly helpful.

==========

Paladin threat is generated almost exclusively through Holy Damage. Consequently a Tankadins gear will require intellect and spell damage. Strength is very insignificant to a Paladin; rather, he will use a "caster" weapon in most situations. Three Points in Righteous Fury increases all threat from Holy damage by 90%. All of the following tanking abilities are increased by the Paladins spell damage, though coeffecients do apply.

    (-) Avenger's Shield (a pulling tool) does 494 to 602 and jumps, hitting up to three targets total. It also will daze those targets.
    (-) A target that has Judgement of the Crusader on it will have its Holy damage taken increased by up to 190.
    (-) Seal of Righteousness adds Holy damage to each swing of the Paladin's weapon.
    (-) Judgement of Righteousness does 208 to 228 Holy Damage.
    (-) Holy Shield, when activated, does 155 Holy Damage per block.
    (-) Consecration is a 10-yd AOE doing 512 Holy Damage per target over 8 seconds.
    (-) Retribution Aura does 26 when struck and Blessing of Sanctuary does 46 upon a block.
    (-) Avenging Wrath is available every 3 minutes and increases all damage done by the Tankadin by 30% for 20 seconds.


Tankadin weaknesses:
(-) Silence. Any long lasting silence will shut down a Paladins ability to cast causing threat to slow or even stop. Additionally, if Holy Shield falls off, the Paladin will become susceptible to crushing blows.
(-) Stamina. With current (2.1) itemization and base HP, most Paladins have lower HP than similarly geared Druids and Warriors.
(-) Fear. This is a bit more of a problem for Blood Elves as Horde currently does not have Fear Ward. However, this obstruction can be overcome. On multiple occasions Paladins can and have successfully MT'd bosses that fear. Paladins have 2 bubbles that can be used to overcome this and of course the PVP trinket. Fear is an inconvenience, not a game breaker for a prepared Paladin.
(-) Mana Burn. Mana Burn can seriously hurt the Paladins threat generation capacity, especially initial front-loading, as well as increase the damage they take uniquely among the tanking classes. (credit: Joanadark)
(-) Mana Dependency. A Paladin without mana is a Paladin without threat and susceptible to crushing blows; however, a Paladin recieves mana back from heals recieved. Due to a change in mid '07 mana is no longer recieved from over-healing. For this reason Paladins often struggle in OT'ing roles as these often are accompanied by decreased damage taken. An over-geared Paladin could have similar mana problems but should simply downgrade his gear. Additionally, Holy Shield provides a significant part of the Paladins threat but obviously does not proc when the Paladin is not being struck.

Tankadin Strengths:
(-) AOE tanking. Paladins have a strong ability to AOE tank, particularly against melee heavy mob groups. Consecration, Retribution Aura, Holy Shield and Blessing of Sanctuary produce large amounts of threat against an unlimited number of mobs.
(-) Crush "Immune". Properly geared Tankadins can be uncrushable before even entering Karazhan. In fact, overall they are more dependably uncrushable than Warriors as Improved Holy Shield grants 8 charges over 10 seconds.
(-) Fast Threat. Due to the way many of the mechanics work and the fact that Paladins start with a full mana bar, Tankadins can frontload threat very quickly. This allows DPS to open up against the target sooner. Additionally, the daze effect of Avenger's Shield will make sheep easier to place away from the Raid. (credit: HonorsHammer)
(-) Long-range Taunt. While the Righteous Defense taunt is on a 15-second cooldown, it has a 40 yard range and will also taunt 3 targets off the teammate receiving Righteous Defense. As an alternative, Avenger's Shield can be used at 30 yards, easily giving over 1000 threat on up to 3 targets. (credit: HonorsHammer)
(-) High Threat. When main tanking a mob or boss, particularly one which does a frequent number of melee strikes, Paladin threat will build very high over the course of the fight. This increased threat ceiling allows for DPS to push themselves more and more without fear of pulling aggro.
(-) CCers Protection. The many ranged threat abilities Paladins enjoy, along with the long-duration static-placement AOE spell Consecration, allow a Paladin to excell in situations where trash or boss adds are being CC'ed. The Paladin can act as protection of the vulnerable CCers by gaining initial aggro on mobs to be CC'ed from long range and providing insurance against accidental CC break or death of the player responsible for crowd control. (credit: Joanadark)
(-) Group Composition. While a peripheral benefit, it is still notable that in most cases a tank group will include a Paladin for their auras, regardless of the spec of the Paladin. If a Paladin Tank is employed, they will be bestowing the same auras on the other tanks in the tank group, while freeing up an additional spot in the tank group for including another utility raid member, such as a Shaman for Windfury Totem or a Druid for their Tree of Life healing increase aura, while still having the same number of total tanks. (credit: Joanadark)
_________________

"And were I e'en to die, the cursed enemy would not tear his gaze from me for fear that I should rise back up."
Honorshammer
Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:16 am
Credit for the Boss list should go to Psiven, not me. Most everything in the post you quote is just stuff I've collected from various posts on these boards. None of it is original and I deserve no credit for it other than trying to hang onto it to show to guilds I was thinking of apping to.
_________________

http://honorscode.blogspot.com/
Igrado
Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:20 am
thank you Serrot. I have edited it now, what do you think of the new verison?
_________________

"And were I e'en to die, the cursed enemy would not tear his gaze from me for fear that I should rise back up."
Lore
Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:24 am
Suggestion: Add some "real-world" examples of encounters where a Paladin tank is advantageous, and some examples of where our disadvantages could cause problems. Something like this, perhaps:

Our weaknesses:
(-) Silence. Any long lasting silence will shut down a Paladins ability to cast causing threat to slow or even stop. Additionally if Holy Shield falls off the Paladin will become susceptible to Crushing blows.
Example: Gruul's silence can potentially open up a Paladin MT momentarily to a crushing blow, which is harsh as the healers will also be silenced.

Our Strengths:
(-) AOE tanking. Paladins clearly have the upper hand when it comes to AOE tanking, particularly against melee heavy groups. Consecration, Retribution Aura, Holy Shield and Blessing of Sanctuary really pump out the threat on an unlimited number of mobs.
Example: A Paladin tank is able to pick up and hold aggro on most, if not all, the "smaller" mobs in Hyjal's trash waves, leaving the other tanks to concern themselves with the heavy-hitters.
_________________
Me, LOL!
Velaegis
Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:28 am
You might want to mention that Avenger's Shield has a Daze affect, giving time for CC like Polymorph to happen AFTER we pull. This is preferable to before we pull, as Avenger's shield has a chance to break the CC.
_________________
Igrado
Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:29 am
Ok, thanks Lore. I'll give that some consideration. I was looking to quote HH/PsiVen's list as a follow-up post. Primarily because many examples seem to be from 25-man raids whereas many tankadins (and myself) are looking at Tanking in Karazhan yet. Additionally integrating the examples makes the post longer... I'll think about it Very Happy And I'd like to see if others agree with your suggstion.

My personal thing is I just want to get my RL to have ME MT as i'm afraid our OTing will suck. This guide of course expands quite a ways beyond that though

BTW, are you shocked to see that not all my posts are mere spam? Sad I'm so sad that I've become such a troll.
_________________

"And were I e'en to die, the cursed enemy would not tear his gaze from me for fear that I should rise back up."
Igrado
Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:36 am
Lore - OK thanks you for clarifying that Lore, I jumped the gun before reading Serrot's post accurately. (Updated)

Velaegis - Thanks, changed accordingly. (Updated)

I am considering adding in a paragraph of something like "What to expect from a normal trash pull." Let me work on that today or tonight and I'll edit it in.
_________________

"And were I e'en to die, the cursed enemy would not tear his gaze from me for fear that I should rise back up."
Odius
Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:42 am
Very nice guide so far.

Perhaps a section dedicated to pally tank itemization. Such as not needing strength and using a caster sword. Not everyone is knowledgable when they're used to warriors stacking str/sta and avoidance.
_________________
Igrado
Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:46 am
Odius - This is a good idea... I think if I could put it into 1 or 2 sentences I'd like to include it. However, that could be a guide of itself, and guilds and tankadins are at such different levels that there no way to give hard and fast numbers. But you're right, a GM/RL may want to look at an applicants gear and have some idea if he's on the right track or not.
_________________

"And were I e'en to die, the cursed enemy would not tear his gaze from me for fear that I should rise back up."
Odius
Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:53 am
Well you can just drop a line about how we need stamina and intellect for attributes and then your Defense/Avoidance and some spell damage. You're right though. This in itself could be a whole guild. Thinking about where your base HP should be and where should your spell damage be at what point. The mechanics are just too crazy! Plus some of it is really just a preference of the tankadin himself and what he's comfortable with.
_________________
Igrado
Fri Aug 24, 2007 9:55 am
deleted
_________________

"And were I e'en to die, the cursed enemy would not tear his gaze from me for fear that I should rise back up."