Skip to content
Maintankadin

3 tanks in kara?

Donjuan
Tue Aug 28, 2007 5:44 am

3 tanks in kara?

Edit: I have condensed my post, as it may have made sense to me, but didn't to the people i needed help from.


Can 3 tanks work in kara? I ask becasue so far that's how the guild event manage looks, we have a druid , warrior and me. The druid and warrior are equally geared to me, but have had a run already and may now be better suited than me, or perhaps not i don't know.
_________________
http://armory.wow-europe.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Bronze+Dragonflight&n=Donjuan

Voldiir
Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:00 am
No offense... but that hurt to read.

As for arguing raid spots? It's just kara. If they have three decently geared tanks (warr, druid, and pally) just bring all three. The druid can always go cat form and dps, which I would suggest. Fights like Moroes, having three tanks makes it a lot easier. But on Maiden, expect to don your healing gear.

If you are worried about your raid spot in general, just make sure you let people know that you are a good tank and always ready. EI don't show up late for raids. Maybe the warr can't make every raid or will be late. Maybe you'll outroll him on some of the first loot items and outgear him. Maybe he's really not that talented, despite having decent gear. Maybe 20 other things that I could say may make or break your raid. At that point, it doesn't really matter. Just keep chugging and do what you need to do for yourself. If you get ousted, then sure... leave. But don't be too quick to make any of your decisions.
_________________
Igrado
Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:06 am
I didn't understand everything you were saying it was very very choppy and I wore out halfway through, but...

bringing 3 tanks would basically be retarded in 99% of groups. 2 at the most, but really 1 + an offspec warrior or feral druid is best, perhaps a hybrid spec'd paladin if he's well geared both ways.
_________________

"And were I e'en to die, the cursed enemy would not tear his gaze from me for fear that I should rise back up."
eia
Tue Aug 28, 2007 6:45 am
When you are starting out in Kara, having 3 ppl that can tank if necessary can be nice.
There are no fights really (except possibly Moroes) where I would use all as tanks, but having the option to switch between healing/dps/tanks is something I value highly in raid members.
2 of you will probably be tanking, the third dps:ing/healing. Who does what is up to the encounter, and your raid leader.
_________________
Eia - 70 Paladin, EU-Silvermoon
Turning healers' mana into blue rage since Dec 2006.
Ills
Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:06 am
Yeah, 3 prot warriors would be terrible, but since two of you are "hybrids", it should be good. Just don't expect to all be tanking at the same time.

When I throw on my healing gear, I'm right up there with the full-time healers. Our feral druid, when dpsing, is usually #3 or 4, behind the really hardcore dps.

The prot warrior, on fights like Aran, well, you can still tell that he's a prot warrior.
_________________

www.kleaandron.com
Agravaine
Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:06 am
Moreos initially learning it, might be good to have an extra tank, also with Oz when you are just learning it.

Other than Netherspite and Moroes, you can do the whole of Kara with 1 tank.
eia
Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:12 am
Moroes is possible with a single tank still, BoSacrifice ftw!

I have a hard time on the skellies before Opera though, and also the 2-pulls of elite stewardes(?) that make me drunk...
How do you do those with a single tank?
Those are generally where I ask the kitty to go bear for the fight. Smile
_________________
Eia - 70 Paladin, EU-Silvermoon
Turning healers' mana into blue rage since Dec 2006.
Samildanach
Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:34 am
We always run with 3 tanks, paladin (me) warrior/druid and druid.

It helps avoids wipe situations if I go down (me being MT) due to lag/healer lag/bad timing etc, then there are two other tanks available to pickup my mobs. It has saved us on numerous occasions when one of us has died. I generally make sure that all of us are tanking something too so that the tanking gets spread out.

My main reason for going in with 3 tanks was so that all the good tanks in the guild got to tank together, and we work extremely well like this. If you wanted I could give you examples for how our boss fights usually go.

Having 3 Tanks avoids tank envy, and gets your tanking corps tanking as a team, at the same time in a 10 man raid instance.

FYI we have a 3 tank, 3 healer, 4 dps as our 'standard' raid group and thus far it's worked very well. (Furthest we've got is Curator).

Good luck to you.
_________________
Samildanach lvl 70 prot 0/49/12
Danathiel lvl 66 Hybrid
Ballin lvl 50 Holy

In the kingdom of the blind, the one-eyed man is king.

http://armory.wow-europe.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Kul+Tiras&n=Samildanach
Lieris
Tue Aug 28, 2007 7:44 am
Three tanks is overkill especially when you're just starting out in Karazhan and in need of all the DPS you can get. You'll also step on each other's toes for drops which is drama you want to avoid.
_________________
Donjuan
Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:47 am
Thank you guys, plenty of information here for me to look in to.

Samildanach, i would like to hear your examples, please in case the guild is ok with 3 of us if you have time. They have killed attunman, moroes and maiden ( in two runs) , I think opera is the next thing or maybe curator. Kind of surprised they killed so much so fast. I thought people usually get stuck on bosses, and take a few tries. Big shoes to fill now. Pressure is on, not to suck, LOL.
_________________
http://armory.wow-europe.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Bronze+Dragonflight&n=Donjuan

Agravaine
Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:07 am
The stewards or whatever that get you drunk aren't that bad as long as your healers are on their toes.

The Ushers or whatever, can be shackled/ice-trapped now, so that's not such a problem. Those things used to be really mean, but they are much nerfed.
kurros
Tue Aug 28, 2007 9:53 am
1 tank is easily enough for everything except netherspite.

And 2 healers is enough healing for everything, although it helps to have 3 or more on nightbane.

I really love running karazhan with a 7 dps group, everything dies so much faster and the run seems that much easier.

3 tank-specced tank run would be silly IMO. You might make it work, but you would be a lot better off if you specced ret or holy, or if your warrior specced fury. Druid tanks are great though because they can still do very good dps in cat form, but there really isn't a big need for more than 1 tank for anything except netherspite.
_________________
YoYoMa
Tue Aug 28, 2007 10:19 am
We have gone to 1 tank for all of KZ, with the exception of moroes, and then we can just either bring somebody in or use a plate wearing off tank.

Although I remember pre KZ nerf, those pairs of skeletal guards after Maiden and right as you enter the Opera hall were tough as hell. We used 4 tanks for those originally. Kitty went into bear form, and one of the pally healers tanked too.

But yeah, 3 is overkill now.